News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Montenegro - Silver Bravey Medal

Can someone ell me the difference between these two ribbons on this decoration. My relative was awarded one in WWI and the museum where it resides has the wrong ribbon on it. (They have an italian war medal ribbon). I want to get the correct one. It looks like in the black and white photos it the tricoilred ribbon.

Thanks

Dan Cole

Can someone ell me the difference between these two ribbons on this decoration. My relative was awarded one in WWI and the museum where it resides has the wrong ribbon on it. (They have an italian war medal ribbon). I want to get the correct one. It looks like in the black and white photos it the tricoilred ribbon.

Thanks

Dan Cole

Hallo Dan, :cheers:

I have seen the red, blue, white in broad stripes ribbon used on quite a few Serbian medals, and I begin to suspect this ribbon is readly available to be added to Serbian medals with no ribbons, the colours being the national ones of Serbia, there was a ribbon on Serbian medals which looked like the Italian one, but with thin stripes of red, white and blue.

I have seen one before with the red and white ribbon similar to your picture and one on a bar with another type ribbon, which I believe to be the correct ribbon.

I attach pictures from my photo reference file.

As for the red and white ribbon maybe an award to a Non-Combatant? for bravery.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Dan, :cheers:

I have seen the red, blue, white in broad stripes ribbon used on quite a few Serbian medals, and I begin to suspect this ribbon is readly available to be added to Serbian medals with no ribbons, the colours being the national ones of Serbia, there was a ribbon on Serbian medals which looked like the Italian one, but with thin stripes of red, white and blue.

Montenegro is not Serbia. Its national colors were also red, blue and white, however.

The white ribbon with the red edge stripes is the ribbon of the Order of Danilo, which was used for various Montenegrin decorations. I'm not sure if it could be used for the Bravery Medal, as my reference book on Montenegrin awards is at home.

Montenegro is not Serbia. Its national colors were also red, blue and white, however.

The white ribbon with the red edge stripes is the ribbon of the Order of Danilo, which was used for various Montenegrin decorations. I'm not sure if it could be used for the Bravery Medal, as my reference book on Montenegrin awards is at home.

Hallo Dave, :cheers:

sorry for the mix up with regards Serbia-Montenegro but on the medal bar picture I posted the last award is it the same one as Danial Cole posted at the start of the thread??

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo Dave, :cheers:

sorry for the mix up with regards Serbia-Montenegro but on the medal bar picture I posted the last award is it the same one as Danial Cole posted at the start of the thread??

Kevin in Deva :beer:

No, the one you show is white with two red edge stripes. The Danilo ribbon, as shown on the pic in Daniel's post, had red stripes near the edge , but the narrow white border stripe. I'm not sure if the one you show might be a correct ribbon and the Danilo ribbon was used as a "close enough".

My actual medal is the white ribbon with red stripes and a white stripe on the edge. So it is: white, red, white, red, white. Same as in the first photo. I nabbed that photo from a site because it showed the two medals with ribbons side by side to illustrate my question.

Dan

I think the won awarded to my cousin Thomas Croft Neibaur is the tri colored one. I know this picture isn't the best,

The medals in order are French - Croix de Guerre, Legion of Honor, USA - Medal of Honor, Italian - Croce di Merito, Montenegro - Silver Bravery medal.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Cole

My references don't help. They only cover Serbia and the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. I would note, however, that the Serbian Silver Bravery Medal had the red-blue-white ribbon (the Gold Bravery Medal had the all-red ribbon, same as the Milosh Oblich Bravery Medal).

To add to the Neibaur pic Daniel posted, note that in the high-res pic of Gen. Lemuel Shepherd here, the ribbon for his Montenegrin Silver Bravery Medal, which for some reason has a palms device and comes after his French Crix de Guerre ribbon, appears also to be the red-blue-white ribbon.

Edited by Dave Danner

Hello

Hope not to complicate the ribbon issue, can add another to the list.

In the picture is an early bravery medal with the orginal St.George & St.Andrew ribbon. On the rim is a hallmark in cyrillic. Russians did participate in the war, surely awarded to a Russian. The medal itself is well executed.

• 3 months later...
    • 10 months later...

Hello!!! I?m a newcomer in this forum. I?m from Spain, and I?m interested in Balkan?s country medals.

The reference book I more trusted is the Romanov?s one...and the Silver bravery medal, (I owned one), is with the white - with red ribbon.

• 7 years later...

Hi Igor

Post 13 has an identical hallmark to yours.  The hallmark is for the letter C for Cetinje the old capital of Montenegro.  They were manufactured for the war of 1877 from Italian dies with superb details.  Hard to find:cheers:

Greetings,
    Machine for production of medals and dies were ordered from Naples. They arrived to Cetinje in June 1841. and the production began same month. First ribbon that was used was red, blue and white. White one with red stripes on edges came to use somewhere between 1889 and 1897, most probably in 1895 when Medal of Zeal with same ribbon was introduced. There are also authors who think the change came in 1910.

Information found in "Montenegrin decorations" by Milan Jovićević.

• 1 year later...

Golden Sliver Bravery Medal? Any ideas about this one? LINK
    Description:
    Medal in bronze and fire gilded, 36.6mm, unmarked, but of typical WW1 period French manufacture (maker is unknown), in near mint condition, rare.
    Footnote: this medal is issued officially in silver only, this being possibly a trial piece.

d_6187.jpg.3a75071b62848d0e4ef6cfe90d6b1902.jpg
    d_6188.jpg.ec136eedadef774d45b056e476a57895.jpg
    d_6190.jpg.1b8733db4eec541938453e7ae906f734.jpg

Edited by paja

I have no idea, "trial piece" doesn't sound very likely to me, what trial 70 years after institution? Maybe if there was an idea of instituting golden class of this medal during WW1, but I haven't heard of it before. So, a factory mistake?