News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hallo friends,

i'm new here and now i want to introduce myself.

I'm 28 years old live in Germany near Heidelberg.

I collect awards of the Kingdom of Saxony.

But my main collecting domail is the imperial german Airforce 1913-1918. I will post here me collection the next days.

I hope you will post also your badges here to build a database for imperial airforce bagdes.

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian von Etzel

What about the die flaw in post#5? Did I miss something?

You didn't miss a thing. That's not a die flaw I'd want on any of my badges...

Guest Rick Research

What "die flaw?" Draw arrows.

The engraving looks like "Leutn. vZiegesar"

which would be ?? either HANS of Gren Rgt 101 or JOACHIM of J?ger Baon 12-- but I have no information that either of them was a flyer.

What "die flaw?" Draw arrows.

The engraving looks like "Leutn. vZiegesar"

which would be ?? either HANS of Gren Rgt 101 or JOACHIM of J?ger Baon 12-- but I have no information that either of them was a flyer.

Thanks Rick. That would be Joachim, a fighter pliot with Jasta 15 among other units, R.

Gentlemen, I'm still not convinced on this theory and I think it an error to judge any bavarian badge by this one characteristic alone.... many things, many quality points must be taken into consideration.

Be aware of the fact that (IMO) the die flaw exists in BOTH types of crown/hinge wells. This simply cannot be the sole determining factor. Neither can the shape of the well, or the name.... If you disagree, please send me all of your badges like this/these/those now for "proper disposal". :rolleyes:

Reasonable positon for someone who's building up a thesis, but for a collector I'd be cautious and avoid this flaw as I avoided crowns even before I was fully convinced. Anyone have a die flaw like this on a badge in an attributable group? I do not.

Rgds

Gentlemen, I'm still not convinced on this theory and I think it an error to judge any bavarian badge by this one characteristic alone.... many things, many quality points must be taken into consideration.

Be aware of the fact that (IMO) the die flaw exists in BOTH types of crown/hinge wells. This simply cannot be the sole determining factor. Neither can the shape of the well, or the name.... If you disagree, please send me all of your badges like this/these/those now for "proper disposal".

I am still confused by this as well. :unsure: Rick, I trust your judgement on these things, but I have some questions. This on a Bavarian Badge is OK, but the same back, well and flaw on a Prussian badge is a fake? OR is a Prussian badge like this only a fake when Juncker marked? Is that the Key? Has someone been stamping unmarked original badges to try to increase the value and turned them into fakes?

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Yes, the engraving is "Leutn. vZiegesar". I can`t open the pin because ii is repaired.

Joachim Von Ziegesar had served in FA 23 along with Veltjens and Berthold,

and there is a photo that suggests he was Veltjens' observer for a time.

After becoming a pilot he seems to have been another

of Berthold's proteges and followed him (and Veltjens) from unit to unit.

My limited sources have him in Jasta 4 from 1 Oct 1916 to the 16th,

then in Jasta 14 until 15 March 1918, He was briefly in Jasta 18 but

then was part of the big Berthold switch to Jasta 15 on 18 or 20 March 1918.

He flew with Jasta 15 until the EOW.

He had three (?) victories:

1. 6 June 1918 a DH9 at 1140 hrs at Maignelay

Unconfirmed Sopwith on 9 August 1918, at 1830 hrs west of Le Quesnel

2. 26 Sept '18, a SPAD XIII at 1740 hrs at Pont-a-Mousson

3. 29 October '18 - a Breguet at Champigneulle

The bavarian Pilot badge is a original i have a certificate.

Edited by jaba1914

Detlev makes mistakes.

Someone show me that flaw in an attributable group from a family and it's case closed. Just as it was with crowns. Otherwise, I'll avoid the flaw...but still be open to the possibility they're okay. Meanwhile, Stogie, if I see any I'll trade ya for more cases. :rolleyes:

Edited by Luftmensch