News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I thought to collect a few myself, however after reading the posts it is a bit discouraging. It seems to collect the flying badges of Prussia & Bavaria is like walking into a minefield :violent: Perhaps I'd be better off in the Austro-Hungarian, Bulgarian arena. Or is that too plagued with fakes.? Thanks for making me aware of the pitfalls on this topic.

Yankee

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you'd be moving into nations with smaller air forces and therefore fewer originals. If Prussian badges are a minefield, then A-H and Bulgaria are one of those floors that slide away until you fall into the piranha tank! :speechless1:

Rgds

John

Hi John

Don't want to do that. No fun to have a badge if not knowing it is a good one or not. Really need to think hard :anmatcat: Those flying badges are a marvel, certainly are tempting to jump into. I can see why they are highly prized

Many thanks

Yankee

No, but its fun to be patient and consult forums like these, kick the tires at shows, and be ready to pay for attributable groups or hand-me-downs from veteran collectors, by which time you will have schooled yourself to see some differences, but continue to take Stogies' words to heart that even he does not have certittude on certain types, so be prepared to pass on pieces until conditions are favourable. Small, well-considered collections--good collections! I own one A-H I really like after 15 years. I've only held three real Bulgarian's in 25 years. I have never trusted Air Gunners until I bought a sweet one from a knowledgeable dude on this thread who deaccessioned his...etc. etc. :cheers:

Rgds

John

No, but its fun to be patient and consult forums like these, kick the tires at shows, and be ready to pay for attributable groups or hand-me-downs from veteran collectors, by which time you will have schooled yourself to see some differences, but continue to take Stogies' words to heart that even he does not have certittude on certain types, so be prepared to pass on pieces until conditions are favourable. Small, well-considered collections--good collections! I own one A-H I really like after 15 years. I've only held three real Bulgarian's in 25 years. I have never trusted Air Gunners until I bought a sweet one from a knowledgeable dude on this thread who deaccessioned his...etc. etc. :cheers:

Rgds

John

Hi John

That is very smart advice you have given me, key is to be patient this I need to remember. It is all to common to jump in without the proper research & books. I can see it would be most preferable to purchase from a knowledgeable collector then through other avenues. Many thanks.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Stogieman,

the left one look like mine and have the same flaw.

Can you post now the dimensions of both badges and the engraving.

@Luftmensch

the pin on your badge looks not so good. This is me opinion. Can you take a picture of the engraving.

Edited by jaba1914

Hi, Jaba--I'm looking for that picture. I don't have the badge any more because, like Stogie, I wasn't sure about it. It was from a guy who occasionally "salted" a group with missing pieces. Which sort of contradicts my earlier advice :banger: but leads to the next free bit of advice--IGNORE THE STORY! :rolleyes: Examine every piece for what it is, or isn't.

Edited by Luftmensch

Guest Brian von Etzel

The smooth back and ray back flaws are entirely different. At the risk of your ire, why don't you just tell us.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Guest Brian von Etzel

I'm not saying something isn't happening in more or less the same location but I'm not sure based on the quality of the scans whether that something is the same something. What little is there looks like something different to me but coincidentally in the same general area. The one on the right has that little something extra in a bump going on.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Look, I'll make this easy on you....

Start with the comparison pair. The badge on the left is a copy. The badge on the right is real... casting flaw in the hinge well and all...

Now, using the photos shown, start going over every single detail, every single point. Start comparing the dimensions and the appearance of size/depth/detail from badge to badge. These are not cobbled together images. Two badges, one scan for the front. One for the back.

Currently, there's a number of collectors who will "never touch a flawed badge" as well as collectors who will never touch a Bavarian badge with a crown well of this shape.

Here's an interesting, old discussion from another Forum:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=132666

Again, if you believe every one of these is fake.... mail them to me. What are you waiting for? They're fake. Aren't they?

Guest Brian von Etzel

Now this gentlemen's photo from the link provided above, is a clear crisp example of a flaw. Most gentlemen, including myself, can see clearly the attributes of the flaw here.

Guest Brian von Etzel

and this is a flaw in more or less the same position of an unquestionable fake of which I will make no humor about willing to sell to the gentlemen here at any price