News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cast Iron Iron Cross ?

Mike

I've think I've seen this pattern/style before and (for some reason ) remember it as being a WW1 British made propaganda item. But I can't find this style in any of my Books ...could this pattern be a Fantasy item ...have any of you run into these before ?

Mike,

Yes it is indeed a British propaganda piece. The message on it is not "To der Kaiser", it is "To hell mit (helmet) der Kaiser". I have one just like it and it is but one of many types of these. There are others that had the names of pillaged cities in France and Belgium on them. I would love to find the Louvain etc. one, I don't have it yet. They are of the period and quite collectible.

Dan

Mike,

Yes it is indeed a British propaganda piece. The message on it is not "To der Kaiser", it is "To hell mit (helmet) der Kaiser". I have one just like it and it is but one of many types of these. There are others that had the names of pillaged cities in France and Belgium on them. I would love to find the Louvain etc. one, I don't have it yet. They are of the period and quite collectible.

Dan

I have about 3 versions of these, none with the helmet but mentioning such places as Louvain, Hartlepool etc

Thanks for confirming this pattern. And Tony , that packet is fantastic ...I'd love to find a complete set like that someday, thanks for that ...I had seen the ones in Previtera's book but this style was not in there.

Also ...I found another for sale that ...I think could be a repro. The detail is not as sharp as mine...I know that could be written off because of the rust BUT ..look at the 3 o'clock arm of the Cross and how there's a "Ramp" extending onto the arm itself ...mine does not have that. Could my pattern have been used to make a mold and produce some fakes ? I was hoping that some Imperial Collectors would weigh in on this since it's not really my field.

Here's the other one that I'm "questioning" ...mine's rough but , better than this one. Could they both be real ?

Here's the one I own again for comparison --- It could be an Illusion but , Look at how the word "Kaiser" ramps down ..the "K" is the highest then each letter seems to get smaller ..and both examples have this trait. That's why I think it could be a clone .

Here's mine again --

• 2 weeks later...
    • 10 years later...

GREAT COLLECTION OF PROPAGANDA CROSSES,....HERE ARE (3) OF MINE...NOTE TOP IS CAST IRON  (MAGNETIC) THE OTHERS ARE BRASS (DER KISER) AND THE OTHER BRONZE???????

HELMET KAISER.JPG

HELMET KAISER (2).JPG

HELMET KAISER (3).JPG

Edited by sadolch
    FORGOT TO NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES