News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Army Dress Blue Tunic

Thierry

Thierry - No problem. I used to make a special trip to the Economat des Armees in Berlin to pick up a copy of Militaria each month. I couldn't read French, but the photos were so good. There was a double issue (No 22/23) from June-Aug 1987 that has a huge number of color photos of airborne uniforms, equipment, patches, badges, etc... Kevin

Kevin,

You were getting your copy of Militaria and I was purchasing live trout, baguette, cheese and red wine. By the way, the frog legs and baked Alaska at their le Pavillon du Lac Officers' Club were to die for. Those were the days!

Regards,

slava1stclass

Kevin,

You were getting your copy of Militaria and I was purchasing live trout, baguette, cheese and red wine. By the way, the frog legs and baked Alaska at their le Pavillon du Lac Officers' Club were to die for. Those were the days!

Regards,

slava1stclass

slava1stclass - Well I was young and had yet to find my taste for wine, back then my tastes and budget were for beer. I did however pick up some insignia on my forays into the French sector.

246048813_104d70ddff_o.jpg

Edited by ehrentitle

Thanks Dave.

And Badges (CIB, etc...).

Legion of Merit (2 Bronze Oak Leaf),

Bronze Star (V + 3 Bronze Oak Leaf ?),

Air Medal (V+ ?),

Army Commendation (V + 3 Bronze Oak Leaf ),

Purple Heart (Bronze Oak Leaf),

RVN War Cross ( 2 Palm, 2 Gold Star),

Officer RVN DSC,

RVN 1 class,

???,

???;

EAM Campaign (3 Bronze Star ?),

Occupation Medal (? Claps),

National Defense (1 Bronze Oak Leaf ?),

Korean (3 Bronze Star),

VN Service (8 Bronze Star ?).

Crdl

Thierry

1. Army DSM, Silver Star, LOM (2 OLC), DFC

2. Bronze Star Medal (V & 3 OLC), Air Medal (V & 32 or 33 ?), JSCM, ARCOM (V & 3 OLC), Purple Heart (1 OLC)

3. National Order of Vietnam 5th Class, RVN Army Gallantry Cross with 2 palms & 2 gold stars, RVN Army Distinguished Service Order, RVN Armed Forces Honor Medal 1st Class, RVN Air Service Medal, Cambodian Medal of National Defense with palm

4. American Defense Service, American Campaign, EAME with 3 bronze stars (Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe), Army of Occupation with Germany clasp, WW2 Victory, NDSM with OLC

5. UN Medal (for UNMOGIP), Korea Service with 3 bronze stars , UN Service Medal, Vietnam Service with 8 bronze stars, RVN Campaign Medal, ROK War Service Medal

IIRC, he also had a class of the Laotian Order of a Million Elephants and White Parasol. CIB with 2 stars, Master Parachutist's Badge, Army Staff Identification Badge, etc.

I don't know if he received a decoration from Iran after his tour with the MAAG. I don't remember him mentioning one or seeing one listed in his Whi's Who bio, and there isn't one in the picture. I do remember that he once went hunting lions with the Shah and his party somewhere on the Caspian.

NDSM with OLC

Thanks Dave

To show that a NDSM to been second awards, one assistant an OLC or a Bronze Star for the Army ?

For which types of actions he has received the DFC and the Air Medal (V and 32 or 33) ?

Crdl

Thierry

Edited by Thierry

During the Vietnam era - second awards of the NDSM were represented by the oakleaf cluster for US Army. Subsequently - upon reactivation of the award post Vietnam, the star is used. The DFC can be awarded either for heroism in action or outstanding accomplishment in flight (very rare for Army types so this one is likely for valor). The V on the Air Medal indicates a valorous award in the Army. The numerals indicate additional awards with no way to determine how many were for valor versus achievement. During Vietnam, Air Medals were awarded for both valor and achievement - here achievement indicates number of hours flown under certain circumstances - Combat Assault, Combat Support, Combat Service Support).

Thanks Dave

To show that a NDSM to been second awards, one assistant an OLC or a Bronze Star for the Army ?

For which types of actions he has received the DFC and the Air Medal (V and 32 or 33) ?

Crdl

Thierry

Edited by W McSwiggan

During the Vietnam era - second awards of the NDSM were represented by the oakleaf cluster for US Army. Subsequently - upon reactivation of the award post Vietnam, the star is used. The DFC can be awarded either for heroism in action or outstanding accomplishment in flight (very rare for Army types so this one is likely for valor). The V on the Air Medal indicates a valorous award in the Army. The numerals indicate additional awards with no way to determine how many were for valor versus achievement. During Vietnam, Air Medals were awarded for both valor and achievement - here achievement indicates number of hours flown under certain circumstances - Combat Assault, Combat Support, Combat Service Support).

In Gen. Mataxis' case, having spent several years in Vietnam as an ARVN corps advisor and as a brigade commander, assistant division commander and acting division commanding general, he spent a fair amount of time in observation helicopters over the battlefield. This tended to rack up a lot of Air Medal qualifying hours.

• 2 years later...

I should add that Gen. Mataxis was rather proud of his CIB with 2 stars, far more than any other decoration he had received in his 32-year career, as it was the one that you earned in the mud with the troops. He always called it his "Perfect Attendance Award".

Just a personal note, (not trying to start this tread up again), but I did meet BG Ted Mataxis several times as a lowly Cadet attending the Valley Forge Military Academy (class of '85). I too recall him him calling his CIB his "Perfect Attendance Award".

As a young man I was in awe of him at VFMA. In my mind he was always the true example of the "Tough Old Warrior". Though I never knew him on a personal basis, I always felt that he was a leader you could follow to the gates of hell... without thinking twice about it!

John