News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very beautiful photo... but alas, it is not Maack.

The same officer is misidentified as Maack in Volume 5 of Bender/Taylor's Uniforms, Organization and History of the Waffen-SS (can't find my copy, so don't recall the page). That SS-Staf., and the one in the photo currently under discussion, wears the ribbon for the 1939 EK II (with a red center stripe), whereas Maack was a recipient of the 1914 EK II (which had a black center stripe). Maack also wore, after receiving them in 1940, the 1939 Spangen to both classes of the 1914 EK I.

If you happen to have Volume II of Mark Yerger's Waffen-SS Commanders, check page 135 and compare this man to the top photo (very shadowy, but I think you'll see the resemblance). This officer is SS-Standartenfuhrer (promoted SS-Oberfuhrer on 21.06.1944) Herbert von Obwurzer (23.06.1888 in Wien - 26.01.1945 [probably KIA in Nakel / Westpreussen], who commanded SS-Geb.Jag.Rgt. 6 "Reinhard Heydrich" from 15.08.1942 - to 00.03.1943 (he was succeeded by none other than Berthold Maack). Von Obwurzer was an officer of the k.u.k. Heer during World War I (and from 09.1919 - 05.1920 served with the "Iron Division" on the Baltic, thus explaining the Balten Kreuz I. Klasse he wears in the photo); he received the 1939 EK I & II while serving with the German Army in Poland (1939), and transferred to the Waffen-SS as SS-Ostubaf. d. R. on 01.08.1942 (with his first W-SS assignment being to the Ersatz-Bataillon of SS-Gebirgs-Division "Nord"). More information on his career available if anyone's interested.

Best wishes,

~ Mike Miller

Edited by Michael Miller

That is a very beautiful photo... but alas, it is not Maack.

The same officer is misidentified as Maack in Volume 5 of Bender/Taylor's Uniforms, Organization and History of the Waffen-SS (can't find my copy, so don't recall the page). That SS-Staf., and the one in the photo currently under discussion, wears the ribbon for the 1939 EK II (with a red center stripe), whereas Maack was a recipient of the 1914 EK II (which had a black center stripe). Maack also wore, after receiving them in 1940, the 1939 Spangen to both classes of the 1914 EK I.

If you happen to have Volume II of Mark Yerger's Waffen-SS Commanders, check page 135 and compare this man to the top photo (very shadowy, but I think you'll see the resemblance). This officer is SS-Standartenfuhrer (promoted SS-Oberfuhrer on 21.06.1944) Herbert von Obwurzer (23.06.1888 in Wien - 26.01.1945 [probably KIA in Nakel / Westpreussen], who commanded SS-Geb.Jag.Rgt. 6 "Reinhard Heydrich" from 15.08.1942 - to 00.03.1943 (he was succeeded by none other than Berthold Maack). Von Obwurzer was an officer of the k.u.k. Heer during World War I (and from 09.1919 - 05.1920 served with the "Iron Division" on the Baltic, thus explaining the Balten Kreuz I. Klasse he wears in the photo); he received the 1939 EK I & II while serving with the German Army in Poland (1939), and transferred to the Waffen-SS as SS-Ostubaf. d. R. on 01.08.1942 (with his first W-SS assignment being to the Ersatz-Bataillon of SS-Gebirgs-Division "Nord"). More information on his career available if anyone's interested.

Best wishes,

~ Mike Miller

Mike is absolutely correct. It's not Maack.

Max.