News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have a WW1 biography, one of those that is written in novel form with names changed (I assume).

From what I can see, the unit of the man was refered to as Regiment "Altmark" (his name for it I assume) and in 1914 or 15 it was supposedly commanded by oberstleutnant von busche, the regiments adj. named Cortez.

Any idea od the regt number?

I have a WW1 biography, one of those that is written in novel form with names changed (I assume).

From what I can see, the unit of the man was refered to as Regiment "Altmark" (his name for it I assume) and in 1914 or 15 it was supposedly commanded by oberstleutnant von busche, the regiments adj. named Cortez.

Any idea od the regt number?

Chris,

Perhaps you can check the regiments raised in the Altmark region (if that too has not been changed, though that would seem odd.) A quick scan of the actions portrayed in the book and compared with actions of the regiments of that area might give you a match. It would be worth a shot if you were that interested.

Paul

Edited by Paul H1

Chris,

Perhaps you can check the regiments raised in the Altmark region (if that too has not been changed, though that would seem odd.) A quick scan of the actions portrayed in the book and compared with actions of the regiments of that area might give you a match. It would be worth a shot if you were that interested.

Paul

Hi,

that is an idea.... the locations are all mentionedpretty clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

within the modern boarders of Germany, the Altmark is supposed to be the north of the Bundesland Sachsen-Anhalt. Two main cities: Stendal (that inspired the French author who chose his nom de plume from it, just slightly changed) and Salzwedel. So a unit of the IV. Armeekorps?

Have a look as well at the altm?rkisches Feldartillerie Rgt Nr. 40.

Gilles