News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How do you display your Mongolians?

Eric Gaumann

How do you display your Mongolian awards?

Are they in a locked vault in the bank? Are they in a drawer in your desk? Are they stuffed in piles of yukky Rikers? Are they framed on the wall? Have you done something artistic with them to show them off?

If you got something good show us please?

Me, I like to frame my stuff and mount it on the wall. Mostly I like to collect (hoard is prolly more appropriate) Soviet and German ODMs but I have a small Mongolian collection that I thought I'd share.

First is a shot of my four just after I mounted them in a frame from Michaels. I like this shot I took out at the pool mostly because of the blue sky background.

Edited by Eric Gaumann

Not long after the framing I thought to myself how can I say 'this is a Mongolian collection' and so I found an image of a Soviet stamp commemorating something Mongol online and Photoshopped and printed it and then stuck it in the middle of my frame.

Amongst others (Alexei, Jan, Gerd, Art, Rick, Darrel....) I'd like to thank Ed for helping me enjoy these beautiful Mongolian awards.

Cheers mates, and Happy Mongolian New Year! :)

:catjava:

Display? Display! Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I wish! :speechless:

The "display" in front of me just now.

Hi Ed,

Nick and I are stuck in a hotel in Devils Lake ND, about an hour from home in the middle of a snow storm with Kim holding down the fort back home. Hoping against hope we'll be able to get back home tomorrow. Been one of those days. But I've got to say... this was just the thing to get my morale back up. Was nearly on the floor laughing! I agree with Rick... a candy dish I wouldn't mind digging into for some special treats! :beer:

Here's hoping your "negotiations" go well and you end up with some nice displays in the not too distant future.

In my case I started out with a fairly decent den/display room when Kim and I first got married... then a bigger one when we moved to North Florida but then got downsized considerably when Nick was born. Collection then increased with little if any room to expand. Now I have nearly the entire basement at our home up here but until I can get the floor redone (some heaving and cracking... not uncommon here) I can't do too much in the way of getting things the way I want them to properly display what I have. But over time I hope to get it all done and have a nice den/museum area down there along with a home theater which has been another life long dream of mine.

Anyhow thanks for lifting my spirits. Love your goodies! Here's hoping you're able to keep adding to the pile. :beer:

Happy New Year!

Dan :cheers:

Here's my Mongolian Herder's Badge:

From Mongolia Top to bottom:

J01. The Best Herder

J02. The Best Herder Flat-Back

J03. MPR The Outstanding Herder

They are mounted in a $3 picture frame from WAL-MART. I prefer to mount my ODMs in a frame or shadow box. The only problem is that I'm running out of wall space :banger: Ed, I'll gladly help you with your storage problem!! LOL

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Eric, is your display from Indian River? If yes, can we hang those show case to a wall? How did you pin your medals into your display? What's the backing? I won't to buy some of these, but I can't figure out how do they work and how they are made. I'm also wondering how can I display a documented group with order book in such case. :unsure:

Thanks for your help!

I won't to buy some of these, but I can't figure out how do they work and how they are made. I'm also wondering how can I display a documented group with order book in such case. :unsure:

Why don't you just send all your documented groups to me and I'll look into it? ;)

Eric, is your display from Indian River?

No. They are from a craft store called Michael's. Michael's is a large chain so there may be some stores in PQ. Or you could probably find the same or similar at a craft store chain by you. The frames are pretty basic, and made in China

If yes, can we hang those show case to a wall?

Dunno if the Indian River frames are wall mountable but I'd be surprised if they weren't

How did you pin your medals into your display?

The screwbacks are mounted through the backing. I drill a hole and screw them in place. With the pinback medals I put a thumbtack in the backing at a slight angle and slide the pin onto the tack. See my pictures on Art's forum for a better explaination. (PM me there and I'll link the thread for ya)

What's the backing?

The backing for these frames is some thick, stiff cardboard type substance. In this case I bought a piece of sandy coloured heavy paper and glued that over the backing to give it a nice color.

Thanks Eric! I guess I just have to choose the great display size for me. I want to mount my Soviet documented groups in a display similar to yours. :)

I like the fact that the Michael's frames can be opened. Witht the way I mount my suspended medals I cn open the case and even take the medals out for study (or just fondling). But with the screwbacks they're kinda stuck to the mount, unless you take it off the wall and unscrew the plates....

And the Micheal's frames come in 3 or 4 different sizes at least. I did a store search for PQ. The closest (to Montreal) is in Plattsburg, NYS.