News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Weirmar period bar that's puzzled me.

Gent's,

This period of German history is far from my strong point. A German contact of mine has offered me this very nice bar and mini chain, including a picture of the recepient and the Schlesischer Adler 1Kl.

Well, I can only identify four of the awards on the bar, obviously the EKII, SAII, Kyffh?user medal and the 15yr LSA.

My question is .... what the hell are the others :banger: I can't find them anywhere.

Please help Gent's

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

Guest Rick Research

4th is the German "Ehren Legion" veterans organization medal of circa 1925 with combatants device.

3rd from last is the Kyffh?userbund Medal--probably the single most common German WW1 veterans' membership award, from the early 1920s with combatant Xs that seem to show up around 1930.

Next to last is the AUSTRIAN "Ehrenlegion" for WW1 veterans-- another vanity purchase piece of circa 1930.

Note the three diffrent styles of devices on those-- each one is the correct one for that piece.

The scan of the photo is not the best, but looks like a Feldwebel or perhaps an Oberfeldwebel in the Reichsheer, mid 1920s.

4th is the German "Ehren Legion" veterans organization medal of circa 1925 with combatants device.

3rd from last is the Kyffh?userbund Medal--probably the single most common German WW1 veterans' membership award, from the early 1920s with combatant Xs that seem to show up around 1930.

Next to last is the AUSTRIAN "Ehrenlegion" for WW1 veterans-- another vanity purchase piece of circa 1930.

Note the three diffrent styles of devices on those-- each one is the correct one for that piece.

The scan of the photo is not the best, but looks like a Feldwebel or perhaps an Oberfeldwebel in the Reichsheer, mid 1920s.

Thanks Rick,

What's the last award on the bar along with the second one next to the EKII. It seems that this bar was mostly a vanity type with loads of " I've been there, got the award and the tee-shirt" sort of thing.

#2 is a vanity Weimar piece: the Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkreigsteilnehmer" (the german honourable association of world war participants") and the last one is the Deutscher Volksorden Bekenntniskreuz 2nd class-rather rare and worth quite a bit. See Detlev's book at 2.02.16-18.

Your Silesian Eagle is heart stopping.

Edited by Ulsterman

Hi Mike... botom line... BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

Thanks Don, Ulsterman and Stogie plus of course Rick R

Hey Stogie ..... that's what my thoughs were as well. Only one slight problem :rolleyes: The family owner of the collection does not know the value of the grouping and has asked me to make an offer ???? ... not sure about that though!!!! I need to be fair on this as it's from a colleagues family from where I at work.

Ulsterman, you say the Deutscher Volksorden Bekenntniskreuz 2nd class is in Detlev's book. I don't have that, so can you tell me the price that he puts on it?

Would any of you think that an offer in the region of 700 Euros would sound about right?

Hoping for some thoughts here :unsure:

Cheers, Mike

Guest Rick Research

"Value" and "worth" are totally subjective in regard to the vast and seemingly endless plethora of Weimar-era self-purchased veterans' "awards."

There are absolutely no detailed reference materials on these and of course no official "numbers awarded."

While any PARTICULAR one may not show up very often, while another is quite common, I can remember a time when ALL of these were considered literally junk, jokes really, and the sort of thing that must have set other frontline veterans sniggering when they saw a post-war self-congratulation hound strutting around in invented and self-bestowed "splendor."

As a member of that generation, I can still not look at this sort of bar without... smirking.

I know, I know. EVERYTHING has "value" these days. And I am sure there must be dedicated collectors of these Out There Somewhere

but the bottom line is that whereas what this might be "worth" in cash to ONE Future Buyer is not anywhere near what somebody ELSE might consider it "worth."

There is no objective standard to judge by, since all of these are basically vanity pieces. PERIOD vanity pieces, true, but "significant" of not much in a purist's eye

except for a lowered self-image regarding ridiculousness. :cheeky:

To me, worth and value aren't related to money, but to significance. His REAL awards were quite impressive, and in my mind LESSENED with all that Fancy Dress silliness. But collecting these very ephemeral and certainly some rare sort of item IS of historical interest.

So it comes down to like minded interest being shared. Offer what YOU think it is worth to you, but not what you think somebody else is going to pay you for it in future.

Rick, You are 100% right ... history is what counts and overall I think this grouping is one that deserves preserving and valuing as history together .... before somebody splits it up in order to make a profit. I have the chance to do that ... and I want to make a fair offer in view of the background.

So I will do my beat to retain the group as one.

My thanks to you all for your imput ... believe me, it's valued

Cheer's, Mike

#2 is a vanity Weimar piece: the Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkreigsteilnehmer" (the german honourable association of world war participants") and the last one is the Deutscher Volksorden Bekenntniskreuz 2nd class-rather rare and worth quite a bit. See Detlev's book at 2.02.16-18.

Your Silesian Eagle is heart stopping.

Since you need a price,Detlev values it at DM 180, which would be around 70 or so Euros if I remember correctly.

Since you need a price,Detlev values it at DM 180, which would be around 70 or so Euros if I remember correctly.

Tom,

Thanks for that. It's so hard to work this sort of thing out and be fair to seller. Guess I'm just too much of an honest guy :rolleyes:

Tom,

Thanks for that. It's so hard to work this sort of thing out and be fair to seller. Guess I'm just too much of an honest guy :rolleyes:

I have that problem too. Just can't seem to remember honesty is its own punishment :cheeky: