News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Once in a Lifetime Plate from Waterloo

Ramblinfarms

Here is one of those pieces we do not see very often, from Premier Emperor in the UK

Very Rare and 100% Original Old Guard Helmet Plate , taken from the Battle of Wateroloo 1815. The plate is in excellent condition and has a small paper label on the reverse saying ' From Waterloo. Capt.Charles Dav'.

Superb Item and Very Rare.

Only $6400.00 USD :speechless1:

Edited by Ramblinfarms

Guest Rick Research

As a matter of curiosity, how are prices arrived at in this area of collecting?

I should think that with THAT sort of "per each" there would not be the huge demand that there is for the average zinky Third Reich stuff, despite obvious supply differences in orders of magnitude.

Back in the days when catalogs were the only way to keep track of what things were selling for-- allowing a personal record to be filed away of what sold for how much where and when, now that everything online disappears forever once it is gone...

how does any "new" collector know what is reasonable and what is not

when I should think it must be highly likely that many a desirable item from that period would NEVER turn up for sale in any given current lifetime?

That is a very good question Rick. there are just a handful of First Empire Dealers , among them Bertrand Malveaux in France. You get their catalogues and get a feel, but it is difficult to say what a rarer item such as this with a Waterloo provenance is actually worth. (I guess it is worth the asking price if someone pays it, but that is too rich for me.)

It surprises me that there are not more collectors and widespread interest when you consider the subject of Napoleon. There are reinactors, and all the service industries that entails, but not many original dealers in this sort of militaria.

Hello,

I've seen around ten of these helmet plates since I started collecting and none of them were identified to a battle. They ranged between $1500-$3500 depending on the regiment. I have a pistol grip that was found after the battle of Waterloo and only paid 60 dollars for it.

thanks,

barry

No doubt an original plate, but the provenance is a little too weak for me. There is of course a likelihood it was worn at Waterloo, but much like today the Victorian era had more than its fair share of forgers and embellishers who liked to dress up a piece to make it more desirable.

• 4 years later...

hi all, I have this Paget Carbine I picked up sometime back. You can just make out the sticker on the stock with the word WATERLOO printed on it. I have been told that stickers like this one got used at the first Waterloo museum set up by sgt maj cotton, just after the battle. I did have a book years ago with some black and white pictures of cotton and his museum but it went missing during a house move. If only these items could talk, what tales they could or could not tell

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

michael