News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Why so few EK doc collectors?

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'problem' with documents and document groups is that they require at least a basic knowledge of history. In fact, they require rather more than a basic knowledge if one is to avoid being clipped by fakers and forgers who are getting smarter. One needs to study units and sub-units in order to know if a document with such-and-such a date could have been signed by so-and-so etcetera. Many collectors are far from intellectual.

PK

The 'problem' with documents and document groups is that they require at least a basic knowledge of history. In fact, they require rather more than a basic knowledge if one is to avoid being clipped by fakers and forgers who are getting smarter. One needs to study units and sub-units in order to know if a document with such-and-such a date could have been signed by so-and-so etcetera. Many collectors are far from intellectual.

PK

I think, Prosper has a good point here. Being a dumba$$ myself, when it comes to WW1, i often can?t relate to the action behind the Document. But due to this forum, i now know at least, that a "First Day on the Somme" Document is something special and very collectable.

The more i get into it(with the help of Chris?and others contributions on this forum), the more i can understand the fascination with these documents. And of course the design of some of these is breathtaking :love: If i had unlimited funds, i would collect these too.

Gerd

For me, the biggest draw back is the language barrier. It is hard for me to study a unit

history or try to research an individual when I only recognise maybe a half dozen words.

Another thing is that I just do not come across them. I have never seen one at the

shows or antique stores that I go to. I do not know enough about how to tell a good one

from a bad one to trust buying them off ebay.

Guest Rick Research

I wouldn't worry too much about over-researching beforehand. Sometimes it's the researching long afterwards that keeps on adding information.

This ugly little post-war dog license type for a Bavarian J?ger NCO returning from the Caucasus was mentioned in the unit history as a group presentation which was made as the transport ship was steaming home through the English Channel with the White Cliffs of Dover off their port side. Imagine 1919 English people's amazement at the sights and sounds of a ship full of steel helmeted German soldiers sailing past playing "Deutschland ?ber Alles" and handing out Iron Crosses! :speechless1: This has got to be the oddest PLACE for a German ARMY presentation I've ever encountered.

Not that that appears anywhere on the document-- and certainly not in the 1977 dealer's one line catalog dismissal which didn't even give ANY data but "EK2 1919."

Thirty years later and I'm still immersed in the Georgian campaign....

• 2 months later...

Not that that appears anywhere on the document-- and certainly not in the 1977 dealer's one line catalog dismissal which didn't even give ANY data but "EK2 1919."

Thirty years later and I'm still immersed in the Georgian campaign....

Indeed !!!!

Its the history that makes this all sooooooo much fun !!!

• 7 months later...
    • 4 months later...

Oh, that's a BEAUTY Steve! I am glad to see that ONE has escaped the claws of the Evil Graphics Hog Boonzaier Person!

My nicest one is huge and so much folded, but of a much more muted "Art Deco" style:

And thinking of GRAPHIC--

did you ever get that Saint Barbana artillery one scanned, Chris? Years later and I still sigh over THAT one.

Hello!

Stunning, never see this before. :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

All the best

Nesredep

Guest Rick Research

Every one with his own story...

What did you do in the war, grandpa?

Which one? Been in FOUR.... :speechless1::rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

With bicycles to the front

(and how many Blue Maxs were earned in the "pneumatic cavalry?" :rolleyes: )

Guest Rick Research

High above it all (when is a "flyer" not a flyer? :rolleyes: )

When he was an Angel Without Wings from the field artillery. :catjava:

As soviet stuff gets priceless, I just started to collect EK II?s and documents First World War.

The first EK II document group with a Frontk?mpfer Ehrenkreuz.

regards

Andreas

P.S. What is a Arendt Abteilung? of the 9th Army.