News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Humble Collection of DDR Awards

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this the first time I have had time to look through the box properly, once again thank you :beer:

Vic

Hi Vic,

Glad you like the new goodies. :jumping::jumping: I would mention a couple of things though. The swallows nests are pairs. But I know it's easier to just picture one each as they're kinda on the big side of things. :P Also, I can't take but a little credit for the silver medal and urkunde... I just pointed you in the right direction on those. But it's a great set! :love: I wonder if that's an original signature... I think it's General Heinz Hoffmann... here's a good bio on him:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=5973

And the only pic I could find on the web:

Key Warsaw Pact figures. From right; East German Defence Minister Heinz Hoffmann, Polish Premier Wojciech Jaruzelski, Warsaw Pact Commander in Chief Viktor Kulikov, and Czechoslovakian Defence Minister Martin Dz?r discussing Warsaw Pact manoeuvres in Poland, March 1981.

Parallel History Project on NATO and the Warsaw Pact, www.isn.ethz.ch/php, by permission of the Center for Security Studies at ETH Zurich and the National Security Archive at the George Washington University on behalf of the PHP network.

This image has information on its source, however it does not have information on its copyright status. It may be usable under fair use but this has yet to be verified. It might be public domain or under a licence compatible with the GNU FDL. To the uploader: Please provide licensing information as soon as possible. Images without this information may be deleted in the future.

And a short article on his death in 1985:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...751C1A963948260

Dan :cheers:

Hi Vic,

Glad you like the new goodies. :jumping::jumping: I would mention a couple of things though. The swallows nests are pairs. But I know it's easier to just picture one each as they're kinda on the big side of things. :P Also, I can't take but a little credit for the silver medal and urkunde... I just pointed you in the right direction on those. But it's a great set! :love: I wonder if that's an original signature... I think it's General Heinz Hoffmann... here's a good bio on him:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=5973

And the only pic I could find on the web:

Key Warsaw Pact figures. From right; East German Defence Minister Heinz Hoffmann, Polish Premier Wojciech Jaruzelski, Warsaw Pact Commander in Chief Viktor Kulikov, and Czechoslovakian Defence Minister Martin Dz?r discussing Warsaw Pact manoeuvres in Poland, March 1981.

Parallel History Project on NATO and the Warsaw Pact, www.isn.ethz.ch/php, by permission of the Center for Security Studies at ETH Zurich and the National Security Archive at the George Washington University on behalf of the PHP network.

This image has information on its source, however it does not have information on its copyright status. It may be usable under fair use but this has yet to be verified. It might be public domain or under a licence compatible with the GNU FDL. To the uploader: Please provide licensing information as soon as possible. Images without this information may be deleted in the future.

And a short article on his death in 1985:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...751C1A963948260

Thanks Dan, for the clarification and the information on General Heinz Hoffmann :beer:

BTW it intresting to note that he died in the year of my birth :(

Order of Victory

Thanks Dan, for the clarification and the information on General Heinz Hoffmann :beer:

BTW it intresting to note that he died in the year of my birth :(

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Glad you liked the info. :D He seems to have had a long and fairly distinguished career. His ribbon bar is nothing to sneeze at either. And how ironic about him dying same year as you were born. :speechless1: Ever feel the urge to take the salute during parades? Perhaps there's some reincarnation going on here. :rolleyes::cheeky:

I'll see if I can scan another pic or two from my reference a bit later. Hoping to do some scanning anyhow depending on how things go today. :beer:

Vic,

For interestes sake you could add some more info like who wore the fringed "swallows nests" and who wore the unfringed ones. Also, who wore the shoulderboards. Some good research possibilities here.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Dan had to help me out a bit with the info on these but here it goes.

The swallows nests were worn by millitary bands the white being regular army and the green being border guards. The tasseled ones are for NCO's.

The shoulder boards blelonged to the Stassi :D

Order of Victory

• 3 weeks later...

Having started you down this path I should have responded sooner. Very close on the Swallows Nests. The white was worn by members of the NVA Orchestrer, Musikkorps and Spielmannszuge. Green could be for either polizei or Border Guard. I am taking a guess here but the green looks too light for Border Guard. I would be more inclined to say it was for polizei. If it is for polizei the fringed ones woul be worn by Wchtmeisterdienstgrade des zentralen Orchesters der MdI and Leiter der Spielmannszuge (im Dienstgrad Unterleutnant bis Hauptmann) in den VP-Bereitschaften.

On to the shoulder board. Not STASI. Could be either Reichsbahn or Post but I haven't taken the time to look through my reference material to identify it but probably Reichsbahn.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Dan had to help me out a bit with the info on these but here it goes.

The swallows nests were worn by millitary bands the white being regular army and the green being border guards. The tasseled ones are for NCO's.

The shoulder boards blelonged to the Stassi :D

Order of Victory

Edited by Gordon Craig