News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Humble Collection of DDR Awards

Hmmmm, very cool! Love all your new additions Vic. But think that's terrific that those boards are Reichsbahn. Had I only known. :P But hey, at least now I know what to look for. :lol: And quite a bit of info on the swallows nests. That would be even more cool if the green is police since you have a good sized police collection now.

Well done on all counts!!!!

Oh, out of curiosity how does the back of the banner look? :unsure: Didn't know if it was an early or later type.

Keep on truckin' my friend. Gotta get em' all! :P:beer:

Dan :cheers:

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having started you down this path I should have responded sooner. Very close on the Swallows Nests. The white was worn by members of the NVA Orchestrer, Musikkorps and Spielmannszuge. Green could be for either polizei or Border Guard. I am taking a guess here but the green looks too light for Border Guard. I would be more inclined to say it was for polizei. If it is for polizei the fringed ones woul be worn by Wchtmeisterdienstgrade des zentralen Orchesters der MdI and Leiter der Spielmannszuge (im Dienstgrad Unterleutnant bis Hauptmann) in den VP-Bereitschaften.

On to the shoulder board. Not STASI. Could be either Reichsbahn or Post but I haven't taken the time to look through my reference material to identify it but probably Reichsbahn.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the additional information :cheers: but I am not vrery well versed on the different braches of German Army etc so what exactly is Reichsbahn :unsure:

Regards,

Order of Victory

Reichsbahn- WW2 German Rail System. I dont think that the East Germans would use the term "Reichs" for anything, especially pertaining to any govt services.

The DDR kept the name Reichbahn for their rail system after WWII, see this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Reichsbahn_of_the_GDR It explains why the DDR kept the Reichbahn name. It's an interesting read, especially the part about the DR running the rail system and S-Bahn in West Berlin. I remember the Berlin Duty Train was pulled by a DR engine.

Kevin

Hi Dan,

Heres a pic of the backside what do you think :unsure:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Well, I just checked all three of mine. Your example seems to have a much less pebbled background than mine. Mine all have the later bent over type pin catches. I can't tell for sure if your's has the barrel catch (early) or the intermediate type. :unsure:

But from what I see on the pic I suspect your's is earlier than any of mine... just can't tell which type. Can you do a better shot of the pin and catch?

Perhaps Gordon can also pop in on these. I've heard that the earliest ones had "really nice" enamels compared with the later pieces. But to be honest I love them all! :love::jumping: Great Orders, very nice cases, and generally for low prices... can't ask for much more than that. :cool:

Hi Vic,

Well, I just checked all three of mine. Your example seems to have a much less pebbled background than mine. Mine all have the later bent over type pin catches. I can't tell for sure if your's has the barrel catch (early) or the intermediate type. :unsure:

But from what I see on the pic I suspect your's is earlier than any of mine... just can't tell which type. Can you do a better shot of the pin and catch?

Perhaps Gordon can also pop in on these. I've heard that the earliest ones had "really nice" enamels compared with the later pieces. But to be honest I love them all! :love::jumping: Great Orders, very nice cases, and generally for low prices... can't ask for much more than that. :cool:

Hi Dan,

Mine has a barrel catch and complety smooth back of the medal :jumping:

It seems to have what I would call typical USSR thick type enamle :unsure:

Order of Victory

Hi Dan,

Mine has a barrel catch and complety smooth back of the medal :jumping:

It seems to have what I would call typical USSR thick type enamle :unsure:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Sounds to me like one of the earlier ones!!!! :cool: Ya did great on it my friend! :jumping: May you be as lucky with the other two!!!! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

You've got a nice collection OoV! :beer:

One thing that struck me was the irregularity in the mounting of the ribbons. Left over right, right over left... Is there any logic in this? (DDR is not my 'area'.)

Auke

You've got a nice collection OoV! :beer:

One thing that struck me was the irregularity in the mounting of the ribbons. Left over right, right over left... Is there any logic in this? (DDR is not my 'area'.)

Auke

Hi Auke

Glad you like it :cheers:

I must say I have noticed it before, but now you mention it I can see it :D I dont know the answer but may be one of our more learned members may be able to explain it :unsure:

Order of Victory

Hi Auke

Glad you like it :cheers:

I must say I have noticed it before, but now you mention it I can see it :D I dont know the answer but may be one of our more learned members may be able to explain it :unsure:

Order of Victory

Hi Gents,

Here's the scoop on the ribbons. When the left part of the ribbon all but covers the right one that's generally for non-military forces like police, etc. Whereas the ones with the right part of the ribbon all but covering the left are for the military services.

Edited by Hauptman

Hi Gents,

Here's the scoop on the ribbons. When the left part of the ribbon all but covers the right one that's generally for non-military forces like police, etc. Whereas the ones with the right part of the ribbon all but covering the left are for the military services.

Thanks for the explanation Dan :cheers:

Order of Victory