News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would like some opions on this bar, especially the GMMM please. It is lashed down securely to the bar (as are all the medals) so I can't tell if the ring is marked. Nothing glows under blacklight.

thanks in advance.

Hi Don, as I said.. there's really no way this can be determined by a photo. You need weight and to check the ring (?se) for marks. If there are no marks on the medal suspension, then you must check the weight. They come in these variations:

Unmarked, real gold:

Marked 333, real gold:

Gold ones will weigh about 15 grams.

Silver Gilt ones will weigh substantially less, about 13 Grams

Here's a better idea of the color a real gold one should be...

That was my thinking too on the gold GMMM in that example. Thought it might add to the wreath discussion though as it looks to be a legit bar. :rolleyes: I would love to post bigger pics, but have been sentenced to perpetual probationary membership I suppose. Limits me to 65k pics. Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, I'd like to see bigger photos as well. The ribbon for the "gold" one looks like it was added after the fact and the stitching of the backing in that area looks different as well. Note the ribbons hang off one end of the bar, but not the other. Also, since it appears the "gold" one is loose (??), why not take it out, check for maker content marks and get it weighed? Then you'll know for sure!

Good eye Stogie on the center ribbon stitching. Didn't catch that before. I wish I could provide larger pics but two problems: 1) I have no idea who the bar belongs to. Stored the pics a long time ago and forgot where it came from. and 2) Even if it were available to me, I can't post anything larger than 65k because I am still 'probationary.' Not sure why and I found no info on how to overcome the status. Thanks! Steve

• 4 months later...

Here are some markings on a GMMM I have been offered. It has supposedly been tested and found to be better than 333 Gold.

Thoughts?

If you have a real gold one, there's usually no doubt. It has a certain "look, sheen and feel" ...sort of like having a Sovereign in hand. Clink clink. ;)

- Scrooge McDuck

• 2 months later...