News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orden & Medalla "Combatiente de la Guerra de Liberaci?n"

Stogieman

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Hmmm...In perusing resumes all evening this one really is one of the important ones. You got this for being in the old guard-and fighting Batista. Perhaps Cuba's version of the golden party badge-one to collect, along with the Che order of course.

• 5 weeks later...

Anybody have the order statutes for this one??

Awarded in recognition of active participation in the waged War of national liberation by the Rebellious Army against the batistiana dictatorship that on 1st January 1959 culminated with the revolutionary triumph.

• 3 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Here is what we will have to call a "Type 2" Combatant of the Liberation Medal--

Not at ALL :( nice and frosted gilt like the (?) original foreign contract piece above, this one is the same "Staybrite flashed" sort of finish of most other gold-colored Cuban medals.

Scanning makes it look dark since the shiny finish baffles the scanner. The actual overall "Staybrite gold" color is what shows at the suspension ring. The smooth face of the medal bounces light back and distorts the color produced by the scanner.

Guest Rick Research

Some day we'll have all this figured out, sorted, "variants" catalogued just like the endlessly sib-divisions in Soviet :speechless1: ...

for the time being...

:unsure:

any others out there? Either type? :unsure:

Guest Rick Research

I don't have the technology to make scans transparent to superimpose (or to align perfectly if at slightly different angles).... but I've been playing with two scans of the two Types of Medal that were made at identical sizes. I switched them to black and white trying to eliminate the distracting differences in the finishes, but even so, the matte and shiny produce effects that SEEM different... but aren't.

I'm fairly sure, despite the marked difference in surfaces, that both Types were indeed made with exactly the same die:

Both have the bevelled rim, unlike other Cuban medals. I know it is hard to see in the SCANS, but even the little light clouds floating in the sky (visible in the Matte Gold Type 1 but shined out as scanned in the Shiny Gold Type 2) are there. Hard to pick out details in the mountaintop's Unmowed Lawn but every wrinkle and crinkle, leaf and stone match perfectly.

The most obvious apparent differnce is at the suspension ring-- and THAT is a result of hand finishing/polishing.

I know that my scans of the Shiny Gold Type 2 are at fault here, but having it in hand, to compare with the plain details of the Matte Gold Type 1, details which SEEM blurred or absent are NOT-- they are simply REFLECTED by the glare-back of the shiny surface.

SOME DAY (sooner rather than later :catjava: ) we may find out when a second order was put in to the DDR manufacturer who presumably made both Types.

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

Thanks to Greg :cheers: here is an award booklet for the Medal:

Name obscured to protect the recipient:

2December 1981 is the date on which BOTH (so far) Combatants of the Clandestine Struggle Medal award booklets turned up so far were filled out. That the Combatants of the Liberation were an exact year later sugggests coordinated nationwide presentations. (?)

Reverse. Again, single pin, not a double. It will be interesting to see if/when these two pin variations were actually made.

hi this is greg i have thisorder in first class and second if need picks let me know or any interests best regards greg

• 1 year later...