News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Syria

Ed_Haynes

• 6 months later...

Order of the Syrian Family

Instituted: 18 March 1952, and awarded to mothers for bearing set numbers of children in 5 classes.

This is the 3rd Class (9 children):

The picture arrived from my good friend Emmanuel Halleux this morning. He says that the 4th Class is the same, but all silver; and the 4th Class all bronze.

Another LOVELY ribbon bar, Elie. Thanks.

If the incredibly cranky internet this morning allows, let me try at an identification.

The first one (reproduced below):

1- Order of Civil Merit, Excellent Class; Order of Civil Merit, 1st Class

2- Order of Bravery, 1st Class; Long & Exceptional Service; Order of Devotion, Excellent Class

3- Order of Devotion, 1st Class; Medal or Training. Palm???; Union Order; Victory Medal

4- Medal of Training, Star???; Army Day Commemorative Medal; Syrian Arab Army Medal; Medal of 8 March

5- 25th Anniversary of the Syrian Army; Medal of 6 October; <u><b>???</b></u> (Kuwait Liberation?); <u><b>???</b></u>

6- <u><b>???</b></u>; <u><b>???</b></u>; <u><b>???</b></u>; Something Kuwaiti but I can't remember what

7- <u><b>???</b></u>; Saudi Combat Medal; Saudi Kuwait Liberation; Kuwaiti Kuwait Liberation

Help?????!!!!!

Syria had troops in Gulf War 1?? I had no idea they were our allies!

From The Hindu (Indian newspaper), November 26 1953:

"The Damascus correspondent of the Khilafat of Bombay reported that Syria's President Adib Shiskali was to present personally the Family Medal of Distinguished Degree to a Syrian father who had 17 living children. The presentation was part of that country's campaign to boost population. A total of 150 medals belonging to five degrees were to be awarded to prolific parents. The Government had created the Order of the Syrian family to promote the concept of prolific parenthood. Families raising numerous children were to be given free travel facilities and educational privileges throughout Syria."

Edited by Megan

Original envelope of medal - ARTUS BERTRAND PARIS

This is very nice Arthus Bertrand bag of issue, I love the original bags and cases of Arabic medals and orders. Most of them are from Bertrand, Assmen and Hugenin which manufatured most of Iraq’s Military and civil medals and orders.

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

One more nice badge/star for this useful topic

gro

This is a very beautiful piece, I seen these breast badges sell in a very high range. This one here that you displayed in in great quality and the enamel is very bright in color, thank you for sharing it and is this one from your collection?

Edited by IMHF

• 4 weeks later...

gro

This is a very beautiful piece, I seen these breast badges sell in a very high range. This one here that you displayed in in great quality and the enamel is very bright in color, thank you for sharing it and is this one from your collection?

Enjoy :)

Let me know this high range please for the notes :)

• 4 years later...
    • 10 months later...

Today has received a 6th October medal. Very bad quality. It is a copy for tourists or and should be?

post-260-1206964643.jpg

post-260-1206964643.jpg

After a some research and friends advises from Syria, I may say that it is a locally made product, used by military to cover their needs after the shortage of the original ones. It seams to be made at the same factory where Syrian-Lebanese medals produced.

After a some research and friends advises from Syria, I may say that it is a locally made product, used by military to cover their needs after the shortage of the original ones. It seams to be made at the same factory where Syrian-Lebanese medals produced.

Especially these days.... 

• 2 years later...

Can any one tell me the 3 different  in 

1. Yemen Arab Republic:
      Wound Badge.
    2. People's Democratic Republic of Yemen:
      Order of War Wounded.
    3. Republic of Yemen:
      Wound Badge.
    4. Thanks
    5. Rod

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Hi! I have this Syrian Order of Merit miniature in a chain of a Spanish diplomat. Any idea why the ribbon is different and the medal is missing some of the elements?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

GM1

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3318.jpg

Dear GM1,

Hi, Very nice chain. If it is a Syrian award, it, along with the miniature of the Order of the Republic of Tunisia both have the wrong ribbons.  Whilst the design of the miniature is similar to the Syrian Order of Merit I have not seen this type before.

Is there any evidence confirming it as Syrian? If so it may well be a locally made (Spain) piece.

Regards,

Owain.

P.S. I note the Nazi award - if this is indicative of the period and politics of the recipient the Syrian piece could date from the Vichy controlled Syria era.

Dear Owain,

Thank you very much for your information! The chain has medals going from 1936 to 1960's, There is no evidence that confirms it as Syrian, just by design and the drawing on the star. I haven't found any other medal that seems similar, so the local (Spanish) manufacture can be the explanation why it is so different.

The Syrian Order of Merit was founded in 1953, correct? (I'm not an expert) This means it couldn't be awared by the Vichy, right?

Best regards,

GM1