News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gentlemen

I have some diaries that belonged to M.Schuch 1870's era. All I know is that he held the rank of Oberst-Commandant Des hgl.3.Infanterie-Regiments Prinz Carl Von Bayern. Does anybody know what orders & medals he had received, info on his life in the service. Hope somebody can help, be neat to put the group together again. Thanks Yankee

Hi Yankee,

Oberst Michael Schuch, born 2nd September 1811 in Regensburg was wounded in action as the commander of K?nigl. Bayer. 3. Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Karl von Bayern on the 2nd of December 1870 and died the following night. He had assumed command of the regiment on the 2nd of February 1870 having previously been with the 6. Infanterie-Regiment K?nig Wilhelm von Preu?en.

He had entered the army as a volunteer private soldier in 1829 initially with the 4. Infanterie-Regiment and served later with the 2. Artillerie-Regiment. He was appointed a Junker (Officer Candidate) in the 6. Infanterie-Regiment on 20.03.35 and commissioned as an Unterlieutenant in the 11.Infanterie-Regiment on the 22.03.36. He was transferred to the 4. Infanterie-Regiment on 17th of December 1836 and remained there until promoted to Major and transfer to the 13.Infanterie-Regiment on 11.12.61. Promoted to Oberstlieutenant on the 25.02.67 with a short tour with the 8. Infanterie-Regiment, he returned to the 6.Infanterie-Regiment on 28 May 1868. Promoted to Oberst on 01.02.70 he assumed command or the 3. Infanterie-Regiment which he lead in the Franco-German War. He was awarded the EK2 and the Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Military Merit Order for Sedan. He was additionally commended for Artenay and Orleans. Wounded in both thighs (seriously in the left) at Bazoche on 2nd December he died on the 3/4th December at Versailles. He was additionally the holder the 40 year long service decoration, the campaign award for 1866 and the Knight's Cross of the Hessian Wilhelm's Order.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

He was additionally the holder the 40 year long service decoration, the campaign award for 1866 and the Knight's Cross of the Hessian Wilhelm's Order.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn, does your source state in which year he received the CHW3?

Regards

David

Hi Yankee,

Oberst Michael Schuch, born 2nd September 1811 in Regensburg was wounded in action as the commander of K?nigl. Bayer. 3. Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Karl von Bayern on the 2nd of December 1870 and died the following night. He had assumed command of the regiment on the 2nd of February 1870 having previously been with the 6. Infanterie-Regiment K?nig Wilhelm von Preu?en.

He had entered the army as a volunteer private soldier in 1829 initially with the 4. Infanterie-Regiment and served later with the 2. Artillerie-Regiment. He was appointed a Junker (Officer Candidate) in the 6. Infanterie-Regiment on 20.03.35 and commissioned as an Unterlieutenant in the 11.Infanterie-Regiment on the 22.03.36. He was transferred to the 4. Infanterie-Regiment on 17th of December 1836 and remained there until promoted to Major and transfer to the 13.Infanterie-Regiment on 11.12.61. Promoted to Oberstlieutenant on the 25.02.67 with a short tour with the 8. Infanterie-Regiment, he returned to the 6.Infanterie-Regiment on 28 May 1868. Promoted to Oberst on 01.02.70 he assumed command or the 3. Infanterie-Regiment which he lead in the Franco-German War. He was awarded the EK2 and the Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Military Merit Order for Sedan. He was additionally commended for Artenay and Orleans. Wounded in both thighs (seriously in the left) at Bazoche on 2nd December he died on the 3/4th December at Versailles. He was additionally the holder the 40 year long service decoration, the campaign award for 1866 and the Knight's Cross of the Hessian Wilhelm's Order.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn

I really appreciate all the info, your a genius. Really fantastic to know something about the man. :jumping::jumping::jumping: Certainly his diaries, holding his Hessian Wilhelm Knight. Do you know by chance what year it would have been awarded? Do you know how I would be able to obtain a photograph of Oberst Schuch? Many Many thanks for all your kind help. Yankee

Hi Glenn

I really appreciate all the info, your a genius. Really fantastic to know something about the man. :jumping::jumping::jumping: Certainly his diaries, holding his Hessian Wilhelm Knight. Do you know by chance what year it would have been awarded? Do you know how I would be able to obtain a photograph of Oberst Schuch? Many Many thanks for all your kind help. Yankee

HI Yankee

I would be interested in a picture of the Oberst too! My guess is contacting the bavarian states archive, since that was the country he served in the militairy. Here is the better part: in bavaria, the law says that when the archive looks something up for you, its for free. So you could ask them if there is a picture of the Oberst, you would only need to pay for the reproduction itself.

Should you contact the Archive, I hope you woill let me know what you find out!! I would be very interested in a photo especially one taken where he is wearing his ChW3!!

Regards

David

HI Yankee

I would be interested in a picture of the Oberst too! My guess is contacting the bavarian states archive, since that was the country he served in the militairy. Here is the better part: in bavaria, the law says that when the archive looks something up for you, its for free. So you could ask them if there is a picture of the Oberst, you would only need to pay for the reproduction itself.

Should you contact the Archive, I hope you woill let me know what you find out!! I would be very interested in a photo especially one taken where he is wearing his ChW3!!

Regards

David

Hi David

Thanks for that excellent idea :cheers: , just hope the archives were not destroyed in the last war. If able to obtain a foto of him, let you know and send one out to you. Can I assume the 40 year service medal is Bavarian? Like to find the medals to complete the group.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi David

Thanks for that excellent idea :cheers: , just hope the archives were not destroyed in the last war. If able to obtain a foto of him, let you know and send one out to you. Can I assume the 40 year service medal is Bavarian? Like to find the medals to complete the group.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Yankee!

As he entered bavarian service 1829 and died 1870, I would assume the medal is bavarian to ;-). Do you mean finding all the medals of Schuch (including his ChW3? That could be a quest!!

Good luck and hope to hear from you should you get a photo from bavaria

Regards

David

Hi Yankee!

As he entered bavarian service 1829 and died 1870, I would assume the medal is bavarian to ;-). Do you mean finding all the medals of Schuch (including his ChW3? That could be a quest!!

Good luck and hope to hear from you should you get a photo from bavaria

Regards

David

Hi David

Thanks for confirming it would be a Bavarian long service. I already have his Wilhelm Knight, unfortunately I do not have his award document. I'm a bit surprised 40 years in the service and no other orders ( Bavaria ).

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi David

Thanks for confirming it would be a Bavarian long service. I already have his Wilhelm Knight, unfortunately I do not have his award document. I'm a bit surprised 40 years in the service and no other orders ( Bavaria ).

Sincerely

Yankee

Do you mean you actually have the medal of the Wilhelm Knight?!! I would love to see a picture!!!

Thanks in advance

David

Hi Yankee,

I'm a bit surprised 40 years in the service and no other orders ( Bavaria ).

This from the 1869 edition of the Bavarian Milit?r-Handbuch which lists his three decorations prior to the war:

40 year long service decoration,

Campaign award for 1866

Knight's Cross of the Hessian Wilhelm's Order.

Regards

Glenn

Do you mean you actually have the medal of the Wilhelm Knight?!! I would love to see a picture!!!

Thanks in advance

David

Hi David

Yes, absolutely send you a picture. Have it out to you in just a little bit. Without the award document never certain that diaries & order was to same man. Luckily Glenn's research stated he was awarded the Wilhelm Order, must be his then.

Hi Yankee,

This from the 1869 edition of the Bavarian Milit?r-Handbuch which lists his three decorations prior to the war:

40 year long service decoration,

Campaign award for 1866

Knight's Cross of the Hessian Wilhelm's Order.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn

What an absolutely amazing book list :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping: Never seen one of those books before. Would you have a picture of a 40 year service decoration to show?

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Glenn

What an absolutely amazing book list :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping: Never seen one of those books before. Would you have a picture of a 40 year service decoration to show?

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Yankee

That is a beauty!! I am curious: what is your connection with Michael Schuch? Are you related to him in any way?

Hi Yankee

That is a beauty!! I am curious: what is your connection with Michael Schuch? Are you related to him in any way?

Hi David

No family connection at all, just a student of history hoping to preserve his memory. His early demise explains why the diaries have blank plages - that had been a mystery to me. I suppose to find his award documents would be extremely difficult, most likely lost in time.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi David

No family connection at all, just a student of history hoping to preserve his memory. His early demise explains why the diaries have blank plages - that had been a mystery to me. I suppose to find his award documents would be extremely difficult, most likely lost in time.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Yankee

Does his diarie state where he got the Wilhelms Order for? I cannot remember if the regiment he was in at the time (1850-1951) would have been part of the socalled Strafbayern who were involved in helping out the Kurf?rst von Hessen during the Verfassungskrise, but I guess that would be an option!

Regards

David

Hi Yankee,

I do not have picture of a 40 year service decoration but a correction to my first post. He was born in Regen and not Regensburg.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn

I am curious: when the Knightscross of the Wilhelms Order is described as CHW4 in your book, is a 4th Class of this Order then mentioned as a CHW5?

My guess:

CHW1 Grandcross

CHW2a CCI

CHW2b CCII

CHW3 Knight

CHW4 4th Class

Or am I wrong?

Regards

David