News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cap stars

kimj

The two part stars are the early ones=good ones. ;)

Doc there are hundreds of different types of stars. These are just the tip of the iceberg. Not to mention that they are just as pretty as awards and in many (most) cases cheaper... :rolleyes:

/Kim

What's that thingy you store them in.. gem jars???

/Kim

Exactly Kim... All four standard size stars (up to 35MM) fit comfortably. The Militia stars are a bit tougher to squeeze in, but they do fit satisfactorily without the jar's lid.

In any case, these mounts are available on the internet and at many shows. Average price is about $15.00 US. They come in a cardboard tray with a glass lid just the same as a standard Riker mount.

This one has 34MM size jars which house the 20MM Pilotka and 27MM "Bezka" type stars brilliantly...

Edited by RichieC

Thanks Richie! I never saw gem jars before. Guess I never had that many gems and a storing problem to know they existed. When I get some extra collection-spending cash I'll get me a couple of those. Too bad the shipping is just as much as the box to Sweden. At least for the sellers I found on Ebay that were willing to ship to Sweden...

/Kim

Richie do any of your hammer and plough stars have a screw back?

Oh, and that railway star is beautiful!

Both are prongback, with both missing their prongs as they seem to made of thin and rigid tin. I have viewed a multi-piece hammer/plough star in a Russian associate's collection, and have photographed it. However, in which file I saved it in I know not... I can almost remember that it was indeed a screwback.

We will see...

Interesting piece Stewart. Perhaps it was designed for use with one of those early, thick Budionovka or other type of heavy winter cap, civilian type or otherwise?

In any case, it is very nicey-nice...

...BTW, we can always ask Denis Rodichev, the cap star man, and get his opinion?

Good idea!

Incidentally I'm not convinced the enamel is original.

Stewart,

I await an answer from Den.

I have read that modern enamel glows when introduced to black light. Perhaps the "medal/order-philes" here can attest to this?

If it is so, do you have access to one so you can test it?

Black light will show if your enamel is hot/baked, in other words glass, or was replaced with paint/plastic or other strange things. Replaced parts will glow white under the black light. Original enamel will stay the same.

Could Belaruski's cap badge be a -68 made example? Sometimes hammer/plow badges sell as made in -68 for the parade. But I haven't seen one with 100%-sure-it-was-in-Red-squere-in-November-guarantee.

/Kim