News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aleksandr Nevsky Scans For Gerd

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Some time when I have the time to retype all the research on this piece I will make a new thread on Captain Belov's Nevsky number 24258 awarded on 19 February 1945 as shown below.

These are just various scans for Gerd, all of the same piece, trying to come up with GOOD ones. My scanner does pretty good for obverses, but the backgrounds end up gray because of the distance away from the glass. Reverses are even more difficult, thanks to the Soviet speechless.gif screwbacks. Some years ago I had the loan of a digital camera and made the clearest reverses with that one (pale blue background) but could not get it in close and focussed since it was a "tourist" camera and not a specialized close up one.

Or I am incredibly technologically inept.

I am ignorant of this award. It seems well made but what makes it special, Rick?

Bob,

this is one of the most wonderful soviet awards. Its an award mainly awarded to Junior Officers and Company Commanders. Its made from sterling silver with hot baked wonderful red enamel. I hope to own one myself one day. This one is special, because its researched and Rick has lots of information of the awardee. I am sure, he will start a thread about this one day.

Rick, thanks so much beer.gif

Gerd

Edited by Gerd

Guest Rick Research

Although ranked lower than an Order of the Red Banner, this WW2-only (there were a HANDFUL of freak exceptions later!!!!) officers only award was generally given for

initiative in successful surprise attacks on the enemy causing heavy enemy losses with minor Soviet casualties (about the only time any concern about THAT appears in statutes! rolleyes.gif ),

participation in a successful "combined arms" attack (i.e. artillery in close support of infantry-- as this one was) causing heavy losses to a superior enemy,

for artillery officers specifically (as this one was) for counter-battery suppression, smashing enemy artillery positions, and stopping an enemy attack by gunfire,

for tank officers sepcifically, causing heavy enemy losses with light Soviet losses,

for flying officers specifically, ditto

for engineers/sappers officers specifically, overcoming enemy defensive obstacles allowing Soviet attackers to successfully pass into the enemy lines,

for signals officers specifically, maintaining complicated communications under fire, repairing damage, and following forward for successful attacks, and finally

for paratroop officers, same as tanks and flying.

Although this could theoretically be awraded from Junior Lieutanants up to division commanders, it seems to have been a company and battalion commander sort of award in actual practice.

"Prevailing against long odds" would be the short version-- and the emphasis on keeping "friendly" casualties low is unique in human steamroller Soviet combat mentality.

A lot of things were/could be given out as "junk" (I have a Patriotic War 1st Class for PX vegetables and tea kettles sales wacko.gif ) but when you see a Nevsky, you ALWAYS know it was a combat officer's "real" award!!!

Here is 1939 Khalkin Gol veteran, tank Guards Lieutenant Colonel A. A. Kanevets in 1953, wearing Nevsky at his right shoulder: