News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tankists helmets.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

How about some more shots of your early leather helmet. There is has been a fake version of this style floating around out there for about 5 years now. I'd be most curious to compare. I was able to aquire one of the fakes "off the record". I'd like to know how it compares to a real one as this version of the leather helmet is quite rare...

Mike

How about some more shots of your early leather helmet. There is has been a fake version of this style floating around out there for about 5 years now. I'd be most curious to compare. I was able to aquire one of the fakes "off the record". I'd like to know how it compares to a real one as this version of the leather helmet is quite rare...

Mike

Yes please, do elaborate, both of you (Stoo and Mike). I am in the market for one of these, and would like to see what I should be looking for... I passed on one last year at a big show, because I felt uncomfortable with it, and have not seen one for sale since...

Hi all! Apologies for the late reply, I have been working on nights and do litle but sleep and work!

Here's the promised pictures. The blue wool lining is darker than it appears in the photos. The pattern appears to be the '1936 initial version' as illustrated on page190 of Shalito et al's 1918-45 Red Army uniform 'bible'! but it also features the unusual leather 'visor' retained from the 1930 type (same page, and again on page 35).

Ok, for comparison... An early type leather tanker helmet that is 100% counterfeit with artificial distress added for effect. Not enough daylight for me to get out side, so mind you this is indoors (All) with a flash (some). First a couple of overalls, visor up, visor out. Not sure this is really a visor I might add. Maybe just a sweat shield. The front pad should make fine enough a visor on its own.

Some details... The snap studs are black painted over a very highly polished steel dome if not nickle plated or chromed. It had bad adhesion and is easily chipped with light fingernail pressure. Also, this helmet is covered in a yellowish gray verdigris/dirt/mildew. I suspect it has been soaked in a dirty brine of somesort to add this grime and rust the hardware in place.

Mike,

Very interesting. If you would kindly elaborate on the artificial distress I would be appreciative. The hole in the right ear area; is that a simulated moth hole? Also, what type of rust do we have on the steel components? Is it fresh enough to leave a reddish-brown stain on the fingers and leave some pitting in the steel? Also, where the steel meets the leather; is there any of that green "goop" that usually occurs where metal meets leather?

Of course, last but not least; Does it have that distinct odor, that many of these fakes seem to have?

Richie,

If you mean the odor of fairly new leather, then yes it does. If you mean the cat piss smell, no it does not. There is none of the green goop. The green goop I am most familiar with is the thick stick stuff that very old, uncleaned brass will have on it. In that case it is a good sign. There is nothing like it on this helmet.

The yellowish gray "stuff" is some sort of dust or dirt that has been washed on by either spraying it on or dunking the entire helmet. It is left is the low spots, crevaces and seams.

The rust has slightly pitted the metal hardware in places and it can be transfer to the finger. However it is not like a dusty, brand new layer of rust. It has transfered to the leather is a spot or two.

Mike

Edited by Frontovik Mike

Stoo,

Is there any wear or sweatstains in the blue lining in yours? Also, are there any shiny spots or wear-through of the tanning/blackening surface of the leather sweatband?

Mike,

What about that hole in the right ear area?

Edited by RichieC

How long were the leather helmets used? Just early in the war, or where they used again after the war?

Leather helmets came into vogue again towards the very end of the war when the "parade machine" cranked up again as victory became certain. They were still worn in parade in to the 1950's. I don't have much interest past that so I can't speak for later.

Mike