News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Army Drum Horses.

Took the same set of trading cards and took them to a state-of-the-art photocopier and had them enlarged to poster size, about 17" to 20" high and tacked to my walls on display as you can enlarge them many, many times the size of those small cards, believe it or not? I also have loaned them to be exhibited at the local public library so as to educate people and the librarians are thrilled to show them and displayed for an extra two months. Makes you wonder why they don't seem to have anything at all like that in the Army of the United States? What wonderful artwork they had then! :Cat-Scratch: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California :catjava:

Info. on British cavalry Victorian / Edwardian drum horses & their acoutrements seems to be reliant on varied & unreliable sources - cigarette cards, post cards, illustrations found here & there - just thought I'd throw whatever info. I've got together in the one thread.

This latest batch of postings consists of scans from an undated but obvously Edwardian publication I came across about 10 - 15 years ago in an antique bookshop in Cambridge, England - I'll set up a thread including the foot bandsmen / musicians as well as repeating these illustrations of drum horses.

One would expect that the US army of all armies would have a tradition of drum horses or trumpeters, given their famous cavalry units & history of cavalry actions even within their own country, is this not the case?

Anyway, nice to hear from you Sarge - our paths first crossed when I was stuck out in the ulu a few years ago in East Timor & you counselled me against spitting pus & venom (& sending some mates from Brimob) against some notorious web scrote in Indonesia who'd conned me out of 30 quid.

Despite occassionally wishing I'd stuffed the bloke, I still heed your advice & take a deep breath...............& relax.........