News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Liberia: Order of African Redemption to Dutch persons

Herr General

I have an ( incomplete ) list of Dutch persons who received the Order of African Redemption. Among them some persons who became "Ridder" , Knight. Al sources I can find on this Order mention only three grades, Grand Commander, Knight Commander, Officer. Does anyone know if there was a Knight grade ?

Also there are some police officers who received a medal in a Liberian Order. What kind of medal could this be?

I have an ( incomplete ) list of Dutch persons who received the Order of African Redemption. Among them some persons who became "Ridder" , Knight. Al sources I can find on this Order mention only three grades, Grand Commander, Knight Commander, Officer. Does anyone know if there was a Knight grade ?

Also there are some police officers who received a medal in a Liberian Order. What kind of medal could this be?

Does anyone have a picture of the Order of African Redemption?

:beer: Doc

• 9 months later...

Greetings! The number of classes of this Order have varied between 3 to 4 to 5 since its inception. It added a Grand Commander (Commander + star) grade in the 1890s and an Officer grade (rosette on breast badge) in the 1910s. Some French awardees receive an officer's badge and star for the Grand Commander grade. The officer grade went away in the 1920s but reappeared in the 1930s. The statutes are provided in the Laws of Liberia. I will provide the exact cites in about a month as I am traveling now.

The Order of African Redemption may have an associated medal. [According to the second statutes it was in 3 classes, gold, silver, and bronze. It is not mentioned in the most recent statutes.] The round medal has an enamel depiction of the Liberian coat-of-arms on the obverse and the inscription "Honour" on the reverse. Ribbons are varied; some medals have the order ribbon, some use a red/white/blue ribbon and there are other varients plus ribbons added by individuals. Liberia's Order of the Star of Africa has a 3 class medal associated with it. Obverse is the order insignia central medallion design, reverse the reverse central order insignia medallion. Ribbon is blue w/ith red horizontal stripes but it is seen on other ribbons.

Edited by 922F

• 11 years later...
    On 01/11/2007 at 09:32, 922F said:

Greetings! The number of classes of this Order have varied between 3 to 4 to 5 since its inception. It added a Grand Commander (Commander + star) grade in the 1890s and an Officer grade (rosette on breast badge) in the 1910s. Some French awardees receive an officer's badge and star for the Grand Commander grade. The officer grade went away in the 1920s but reappeared in the 1930s. The statutes are provided in the Laws of Liberia. I will provide the exact cites in about a month as I am traveling now.

The Order of African Redemption may have an associated medal. [According to the second statutes it was in 3 classes, gold, silver, and bronze. It is not mentioned in the most recent statutes.] The round medal has an enamel depiction of the Liberian coat-of-arms on the obverse and the inscription "Honour" on the reverse. Ribbons are varied; some medals have the order ribbon, some use a red/white/blue ribbon and there are other varients plus ribbons added by individuals. Liberia's Order of the Star of Africa has a 3 class medal associated with it. Obverse is the order insignia central medallion design, reverse the reverse central order insignia medallion. Ribbon is blue w/ith red horizontal stripes but it is seen on other ribbons.

Dear friend, I am sorry that I found this article for so long. I am very interested in the Liberian order recently. I would like to ask you, is it possible for the people of the Second Empire of Germany and the Austrian-Hungarian people to obtain this order? Do you have any old photos of other people wearing this order of breast stars? Thank you

Gentlemen,

I detail below a Belgian group of miniatures I have which includes a miniature of the Commander/3rd Class grade of the order. As Paul suggests probably the group of a consular member of staff as the group also includes Dutch, Italian and Vatican awards

Regards from Riyadh,

Owain

Belgium Group x 6 inc Liberia Obverse.jpg