News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR Police medals

Hi all,

I wondered if perhaps someone could post pics of the full set of DDR police medals, complete with ribbons as the medals seem to look so much alike. Myself and at least one other member want to work on putting together a full set but none of my refs cover police medals. I currently have two and am hoping to get another six soon (one of which is, I believe a repeat of one of the ones I currently have) so it would definitely be a good idea to have a reference to work from to know how many more we need to get.

Also, has anyone come across one of the "Grim Reaper" Orders in it's case? Are the cases rare and hard to get or what? I have the Order but would LOVE :jumping::love: a case for it. Could someone perhaps post a pic of one so we know what to look for?

Many thanks in advance! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

I have a color copy for the paper ribbons issued if that might help?

Hi Kirk,

Sure would. Would deeply appreciate the help. :beer: Are they named so we'll know what's for what? That would be a huge help.

Mucho thanks! :cheers:

Dan

The last ribbon is the ribbon of the Medaille f?r treue Dienste in der Kasernierten Volkspolizei. Die Kasernierte Volkspolizei (Quartered People's Police, KVP), founded in 1952, was actually a military rather than police formation, not named "army" for political grounds. In 1956 the majority of the formation was transformed into the Nationale Volksarmee. The medal was worn after the Medaille f?r treue Dienste in der NVA.

I have a number of photos of DDR medals I have downloaded from a German website, which is down now. I wonder if I can upload them on the forum, as I cannot ask the owner's permission :unsure:

Lukasz

OK, here are the photos. Credit to www.ddr-orden.de/ddr-orden-de/. Unfortunately the site is down. Hope there will be no complaints.

There is no photo of the Ehrentitel "Verdienter Volkspolizist der DDR" :(

Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Volkspolizei (type I was a pin-decoration with no ribbon):

I have found these two:

Ehrentitel "Verdienter Mitarbeiter der Staatssicherheit" (conferred to Stasi members)

Ehrentitel "Verdienter Volkspolizist"

These were actually honorary titles with a medal accompanying them.

Now there is the full set!

Note please that in all the ribbons the left band covers the right one, which was characteristic of the medals for the police, customs and other uniformed non-military services. Ribbons of the medals for the military were mirrored, ie with the right band covering the left.

I have found these two:

Ehrentitel "Verdienter Mitarbeiter der Staatssicherheit" (conferred to Stasi members)

Ehrentitel "Verdienter Volkspolizist"

These were actually honorary titles with a medal accompanying them.

Now there is the full set!

Note please that in all the ribbons the left band covers the right one, which was characteristic of the medals for the police, customs and other uniformed non-military services. Ribbons of the medals for the military were mirrored, ie with the right band covering the left.

Hi Lukasz,

Wow, this is terrific... just what we needed. :jumping::jumping: Thanks so much for posting all these! :beer: I actually feel like I have a reference to go by on these now and can plan out the hunt much better now than I could before.

I'd never seen those last two... and I have an awful feeling they're pricey to say the least... if not downright unobtainable. Again in all these years of searching Ebay, other auctions, dealers lists, forum sales boards... I've not seen so much as one. But thankfully for the most part the rest seem fairly easy to obtain.

I really love the Verdienter Volkspolizist... beautiful!!!! :love::love:

And I didn't know that about the ribbons... another very important piece of info. Again thanks so much!! :beer:

Dan :cheers: