News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Wound documents?

Chris - I'm glad you posted this... I've been meaning to do this for a fews weeks now.

These docs are fascinating. I believe they are actually called the Meritorious Service Citation Certificate. They were given to both the dead and wounded of the AEF after the war (1919) before the introduction of the Purple Heart in February, 1932 (recipients of this citation could apply for a Purple Heart). The docs read at the top, "Columbia Gives To Her Son The Accolade Of The New Chivalry Of Humanity." Some are detailed enough to show the soldier's unit while others just list their branch of service. Not suprisingly, the "wound" docs are a bit more common than the "death" docs. I have, and have had, a few that are quite interesting.

Here is my favorite one... a wound citation to my Great Grandfather who served as a Private in Company A, 306th Machine Gun Battalion (part of the famous 77th Division). I have his dog tags, which list the same rank and unit. Companies C and D were with Major Whittlesey in the pocket, as part of the "Lost Battalion" - I am not sure where company A was at the time and I don't know when he was wounded. I do, however, have few photographs of him and members of his unit at the Lost Battalion reunions in New York City in the early 1940s. I'm curious if Companies A and B were part of the relief effort in getting through to Whittlesey's men.

If anyone has any info to share about his company, I would be most grateful.

Edited by Brian R

Here's an interesting example to a wounded Private Clarence R. Turner of the 104th Infantry Regiment's HQ Company. The 104th (out of Massachusetts) was one of the first American units to see action in WWI and was the first American regiment to receive the French Croix de Guerre. Turner was probably wounded by artillery.

The interesting thing about this doc is that it was framed shortly after World War II - a movie bill listing movies such as Cinderella Jones was used as matting. Perhaps WWII brought out the pride and memory of this soldier's service in the first war and he decide to have his citation mounted.

Edited by Brian R

a couple more...

a death Citation to Captain Jesse Bowen of the Army Corps of Engineers

and

a wound citation to Private Clinton S. Powell of Company C, 308th MG Battalion. Another member of the 77th Division engaged in the Argonne Forest in the Fall of 1918.

Edited by Brian R

• 1 month later...

I recently aquired a Meritorious Service Citation for a PVT John E. Lawler, E Btry 103rd FA. I am curious if anyone knows how many of these certificates were produced and if the president's signature was printed at the same time as the rest of the citation or if it was added later. :violent:

There is some clarification needed here -

Meritorious Services Citation Certificates (MSCC) do not recognize wounds, but were used to recognize non-combat services not meeting the criteria for a Distinguished Service Medal. Approximately 4200 were awarded. In 1932, when the Purple Heart came out, regulations provided the award of a Purple Heart to any holder of an MSCC. These "meritorious" Purple Hearts are quite scarce.

Jeff-

My sincerest apologies if I have the name of the documents wrong. For years I have thought that they were called MSCC. Do you know the correct name?

Also, can you show an example of an MSCC from the first war?

Sivart - Wilson's signature wsa printed at the time the doc was produced.

Brian

The death and wound documents are officially called "Presidential Killed (or Wounded) in Action Certificates", although they are more often referred to as "Columbia accolades" or "Wilson accolades".

In 1993, Planchet Press published "AEF Award Certificates", by Thomas J. Nier. It covers all the various award and recognition certificates down to division level. Long out of print, but worth searching for.

• 1 year later...

The death and wound documents are officially called "Presidential Killed (or Wounded) in Action Certificates", although they are more often referred to as "Columbia accolades" or "Wilson accolades".

In 1993, Planchet Press published "AEF Award Certificates", by Thomas J. Nier. It covers all the various award and recognition certificates down to division level. Long out of print, but worth searching for.

Jeff.

I have one of these certificates that was my Grandfathers. I have been trying to get the purple Heart for my mom the next of kin. Been trying now for ten years. The natioal personnel records center seems not to acknowlodge it as proof. His records were lost when the center had a fire back in 1973. The VA can't locate his records for me to see if there is any other proof of him being wouned. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. His discharge papers are missing and his head stone at the national cemetery is mark PH for the Purple Heart. He was in the 82nd Division 325th infantry company c.

Bob

This sounds like a job for some aggressive young Congressional staffer (Imagine a headline saying "Congressman X gets Purple Heart awarded 90 years late!")

It appears that he was considered by the Army to have been wounded (the wound accolade) and the VA accepted some proof to approve his grave marker's inscription. Those two facts should trump NPRC's or VA's inability to find records now.

I'd bundle up copies of the accolade and photos of the grave, (plus copies of letters home mentioing the wound, or VA paperwork relating to medical care as a result of the wound, or whatever else you have) and documentation that you've tried to work through channels and send it all to your Congressman. He's got staffers whose jobs include doing that sort of constituent service.

Or, see if your county has a Veterans Services Officer. These guys are usually retired military themselves and know people in the VA and NPRC system because they're always trying to find lost medical/service records for vets.

After 10 years, there's no reason to go easy. Step up the effort and get real people involved on your side.

Guest Rick Research

The old federal fire routine should be end-run-able by going through the STATE Adjutant General's Office from wherever he enlisted from.

Each state had its own copies of the records sent to the feds.

I've never struck out at the state level.

And if you go to the county courthouse (Recorder of Deeds, Prothonotary, whatever) there are usually what are called Soldiers and Sailors Records Books where returning vets registered an original copy of their Honorable Discharge Certificate and forerunners of the DD-214. I've used them in NY, NJ & PA with 100% success. You will need to know what county the vet returned to when he was discharged.

And if you go to the county courthouse (Recorder of Deeds, Prothonotary, whatever) there are usually what are called Soldiers and Sailors Records Books where returning vets registered an original copy of their Honorable Discharge Certificate and forerunners of the DD-214. I've used them in NY, NJ & PA with 100% success. You will need to know what county the vet returned to when he was discharged.

New York city not sure which borrow I think queens or brooklyn is that nassua county?