News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian War Memorial

Hi, I have recently moved from Canberra to Sydney. While I was in Canberra I spent many an enjoyable day at the AWM. They have many fine displays and there is nearly always a new short-term display to check out. Here are some phots, enjoy. Please feel free to add comments.

Regards;

Johnsy

www.awm.gov.au

This is the front entrance to the AWM, the dome is actually in the background even though it appears as if it is in the foreground. It is below this dome that the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier lays.

Edited by Tiger-pie

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the well kept grounds around the AWM are plaques from veterans associations. There are also many statues and a pine tree grown from seeds taken from a cone that was bought back from Lone Pine, Gallipoli. I took a picture of this plaque as one of my uncles served in the 2/12th Battalion in Greece and Crete.

Edited by Tiger-pie

Sergeant James Rogers VC.

James Rogers was a member of the Victorian Mounted Rifles before transfering to the South African Constabulary in 1901. He was awarded the VC for saving several men while under fire during a Boer ambush at Thaba 'Nchu.

Edited by Tiger-pie

Albert Jacka VC, MC with Bar

The man I would most like to speak too about his combat experiances. Went from the ranks to captain. C.E.W. Bean said that those who knew the facts, knew that Jacka had earned the VC three times over. Please note that all medals on display in the AWM, including VC's, are originals.

Edited by Tiger-pie

Noel Jack Johnston DSM RANR

Came under heavy German fire just off Tobruk in June 1942 in a motorlaunch, when the Africa Corp entered the town. Despite being wounded he continued giving covering fire to his crew until they were rescued by another launch.

Flight Sergeant J.A. Saint-Smith 460 Squadron RAAF DFC DFM

"The Saint" flew nearly half his missions of his first tour in "G for George". These missions were represented by the saint figure under the cockpit window on the side of the bomber. He was later commissioned as a Mosquito pilot in 627 Squadron. He was killed over Belgium on 29 June 1944.