News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Goodday everybody,

this is my first post, someone told me ''the worlds best geniuses''(who happen to know almost everything about German imperial states) would be here on this forum and they can help me in my queste.

I am a collector of items from Bayern (Bavaria/Baiarn) and I used to have a museum of WW2 and Cold War(only sovjet, DDR, WDR and Dutch) items, but concentrate on collecting WW1 items now, especially from Bavaria.

The museum is closed now, my collection can be viewed on this site (only in Dutch):http://www.rrm-collection.bravehost.com/

(I hope I have placed this topic in the correct subject, excuse me if I haven't)

I have received a painting of a Bavarian officer, and I would like to know more about him.

His name is Joseph Ritter von Steiner.

He died on 15-04-1918, and I believe he graduated from college in 1898.

He has been decorated with these medals:

-Iron Cross 1stlass

-Iron Cross 2nd class

-Orden-Kommandeure in der Maximilian-Joseph orde(grand cross of the bavarian house order, therefore he may call himself Ritter von (knight of))

-Knight of the Maximilian-Joseph orde

-Bavarian Military merit cross 3th class with crown and swords

he was Kompagnie-F?hrer of the K?niglichen Bayerischen 3 Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Karl von Bayern

(company? leader of the Royal Bavarian 3th Infantry-Regiment Prinz Karl von Bayern)

to know whom we are speaking of: I have made a picture of the painting

luitjrvs1fs.jpg

I would like to know more of this Luitenant, I appreciate everybody that has information/ a biography for me.

If anybody has usefull documents/literature or an object of this person for sale for me: I am willing to pay a reasonable price+ something extra for it.

Thank you in advance!

kind regards,

Marijnissen

P.S. this site looks great, I think I'll have a better look around, very interesting!

Edited by Roeland

Guest Rick Research

That is a "romantic" painting since Steiner did not live to wear either grade of Military Max Joseph Order. Both were bestowed upon him posthumously, and with legally dubious "authority" under the Republic. Quite a few Max Josephs were processed after the war-- "granting" non-hereditary titles of nobility that were not legal under the Weimar Constitution, but which were recognized "de facto" in Bavaria.

From his biography in "Virtuti Pro Patria," published in M?nchen by the MMJO knights in 1966:

Born 24 November 1895 in Langenreichen, Schwaben. Son of the town's mayor, Sch?fflermeister Joseph Steiner and Josefa n?e Reiner.

Steiner graduated from teachers' training school Lauingen/Donau and enlisted as a One Year Volunteer in the 3rd Bavarian Infantry Regiment on 1 October 1913.

Commissioned Leutnant der Reserve with seniority of 18 March 1915. He served in the 3rd Bavarian Infantry Regiment throughout the war. His Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Crown and Swords was bestowed on 1 January 1918.

Nominal date of earning the MMJO-Knight was 25 June 1916.

Nominal date of earning the Commander grade MMJO was 15 April 1918.

But as mentioned, he neither received nor ever wore either grade before his death in action on 15 April 1918. In fact, since Order insignia was not GIVEN posthumously, "all" that he ever recieved of the Military Max JUoseph Order was publication of his name as a posthumous recipient.

The only other Lieutenant creditted with a Commander grade was in 1806.

maybe another stupid question, but where can I buy good books about militaria from Bayern, or the one as indicated:

From his biography in "Virtuti Pro Patria," published in M?nchen by the MMJO knights in 1966

thank you

• 7 years later...

Here is something on him....

http://www.kaiserscross.com/40047/489601.html

The book Glenn mentioned is really good....

That is an amazing article, I really need to pick up that book. Can't find it anywhere, have you read it Chris? Hoping to find a translated copy somewhere. Has anyone seen any documentation on who Joseph Ritter Von Steiner's brothers name? I know he was in the military around this time but wonder what his involment was in WWI and WWII

That is an amazing article, I really need to pick up that book. Can't find it anywhere, have you read it Chris? Hoping to find a translated copy somewhere. Has anyone seen any documentation on who Joseph Ritter Von Steiner's brothers name? I know he was in the military around this time but wonder what his involment was in WWI and WWII

Hello:

Joseph Ritter von Steiner had two brothers who were named Johann and Martin. Both of them were killed in action during the first World War.

Best regards,

Hello:

Joseph Ritter von Steiner had two brothers who were named Johann and Martin. Both of them were killed in action during the first World War.

Best regards,

Thanks for the response, where were you able to find this information from? Do you know was there are relationship between this Steiner family and Felix Steiner? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Steiner

• 3 years later...
    On 2/24/2014 at 13:46, Schießplatzmeister said:

Hello:

Best regards,

Hi, you are right Johann and Martin were killed during WW1. However,  I am a descendant of one of the brothers who survived. Josef had 11 siblings and the following had offsprings: Josefa *1889, Barbara *1893, Franziska *1898, Karl *1899, Anton *1901, Nikolaus *1902, Adolf *1909.

Best regards, 

On 2/24/2014 at 16:12, HistoryBuff2014 said:

Thanks for the response, where were you able to find this information from? Do you know was there are relationship between this Steiner family and Felix Steiner? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Steiner

On 2/24/2014 at 16:26, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi,

I think very unlikely, the JvS seems to be from a real Bavarian Landei family, Felix Steiner from East Prussia.

Hi, Chris Boonzaier's estimation is correct. I am a descendant of a brother from JvS and there is absolutely no relationship between my family and Felix Steiner. 

Best wishes from Germany,