News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yesterday I bought an invaluable research source, and very rare.

It is a copy of the index for the 36 volumes of the Reichsarchive history of WW1.

In it are 16 000 names of mainly officers, but also other ranks who are mentioned in the books. Also the volume and page number.

I am renovating at the moment and honestly dont have time to do any research, but if you have a name and want me to see if there is a mention in the Reichsarchive... post the name here on the thread and I will tell you volume and page number (No blocking up my PMs!!!). the actual looking up you will have to do yourself as I am under wet wallpaper and crap.

Please limit it to 10 names at a time (Some folks may have a single name, but if someone else had posted this, I would have had about 500 names for them, so lets keep it to 10 a batch for those who have a bunch).

All the best

Chris

Hi,

Sorry, no mention.

I did however fing 5 page hits to a Hauptmann whose EK2 doc i have :-)))

Hi Chris

well glad to have helped you out there :speechless:

btw, I feel much sympathy for your renovation....I just moved (only 2 blocks) myself!!

Take care

David

Chris,

I have this much for him...just wondering if there is more???

Cheers,

James

Leutnant 20.11.00/31.1.00.1 in Feldart Rgt 17

Oberleutnant 18.10.09 L42l in Feldart Rgt 69 and to General Staff

Hauptmann 18.10.13 G3g in General Staff

Major 18.5.18 #5 (final Reichsheer seniority) Reichswehr Ministry Training Section (T4) 1923, Staff of Art Rgt 3 '24

Oberstleutnant 1.1.25 Deputy CO Fotress K?nigsberg '28

Oberst 1.2.29 Chief of Artillery Wehrkreis I 1.10.31 to retirement

Chris and Glen,

Thanks for the info!

I do have some more info on this fellow, but am always hoping to find a little bit more!

He was born in Weida, Thguringia 28 May 1881, and was alive in Berlin in 1956. Joined the army 15 March 1899 (field artillery) and retired 30 September 1932 as Generalmajor (1.3.32).

Called out of retirement for WW2 as char. Generalleutnant with seniority of 7 November 1938, switched to Genlt zV 1.6.41.

He served as a Section Chief in the War-Sciences Department of the General Staff 1 September 1939 to 7 January 1943, and was put on the final retirement list 31 August 1944.

(Info courtesy of Rick Research)

I have one of his tunics, which looks quite nice with the Wilhelm Ernst War Cross he won in WW1!!

Cheers,

James

Chris,

Any mention of Norman Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels? He was a staff officer with several divisions during the war. Don't think he held any bravery medals, though I could be wrong. Lots of other famous officers with the same last name.

Thanks,

Chip

Chris,

Any mention of Norman Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels? He was a staff officer with several divisions during the war. Don't think he held any bravery medals, though I could be wrong. Lots of other famous officers with the same last name.

Thanks,

Chip

If it was the colonel...

volume 10 page220

volume 31 page 75, 77 and 93.

If it was the Genmaj...

volume 26 page 61 and 270

Best

Chris

Guest Rick Research

:rolleyes: From the "Unpublished WW1 Award Rolls" threads--

Starke's Wilhelm Ernst Kriegskreuz was 1918 #54 as Hptm iG 29 Inf Div. His SWF3bX was 1915 #W40 as a Hptm iG AOK 1. No months or days on the annual running Weimar Lists--that's why I have to keep the weird reference numbers to ever find any specific entry again.

Norman TvB-B wasn't a General.

On the Freiherrn Treusch v. Buttlar-Brandenfels:

• The Generalmajor, later Generalleutnant, was Wolfgang Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels. He commanded the 5. Infanterie-Brigade in 1914.
    • The other one probably mentioned in the books was Oberstleutnant, later Oberst and Generalmajor, Walter Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels. He commanded Husaren-Regiment Nr. 10 at the outset, and ended the war as commander of the 9. Ersatz-Infanterie-Brigade
    • Oberst a.D. Albrecht Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was a recalled retired officer and commanded Baden's Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 109
    • Oberst a.D. Maximilian Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was another recalled retired officer and Commandant of occupied Bruges (Br?gge)
    • Oberstleutnant z.D. Oswald Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was yet another recalled retired officer. He commanded 6. Garde-Infanterie-Regiment and died on 29 November 1916.
    • Another recalled Oberstleutnant z.D. Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels I don't know the name of. In 1914 he was the commander of Landwehr-Bezirk II Darmstadt, and he was killed in action on 10 September 1914 in France.
    • Major a.D. Hugo Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was another recalled officer, with the Ersatz-Battalion of IR 155; he died on 3 July 1917.
    • Hauptmann Kurt Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was in 1914 the commander of 8./Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 3. In 1918 he was an adjutant with the XIV. Armeekorps. The Ehrenrangliste has him listed as an Oberstleutnant with 5. Infanterie-Regiment in the Reichswehr, but he's not in the 1926 rank list, so he might have retired by the time the Ehrenrangliste came out.
    • Hauptmann Walther Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was in 1914 the commander of Braunschweig's 4./Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 92. He made Major in 1921 and in 1926 was commander of I./17. Infanterie-Regiment (which carried the traditions if IR 92).
    • Normann Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was I believe the Hauptmann who in 1914 commanded 4./Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 70
    • Oberleutnant Oswald Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels was with Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2, but in 1914 was detached to the Great General Staff. He was killed in action on 17 October 1914.
    • The Ehrenrangliste also lists three Leutnante, none of whose names I know. One was with 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fu?. One was with Garde-Regiment zu Fu?. The last was with Husaren-Regiment Nr. 10, so I would guess he was Walter's son. In 1925 he was promoted to Oberleutnant and was wiht the 3. Reiter-Regiment.
    • In the Navy, there was Kapit?nleutnant Albrecht Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels, a line officer on the SMS Schleswig-Holstein, SMS Preussen and SMS Hindenburg, and Oberleutnant zur See, from July 1917 Kapit?nleutnant, Horst Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels. Horst was an airship captain, commanding six airships and earning the Pour le M?rite in April 1918.
    In addition, there was another ___ Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels who was not a Freiherr. In 1914 he was an Oberleutnant and regimental adjutant of Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 6. In 1918 he was on the general staff of Landwehr-Division Bredow.

Brandenfels, by the way, was in Electoral Hesse, later part of Prussia's province of Hessen-Nassau, just northwest of Eisenach on the border of the Grand Duchy of Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach. The family does not seem to have kept much of a connection with this Rittergut, though, which had fallen into ruin. They seem spread out in Guards and other units throughout Germany.

Dave,

Wow! An impressive amount of information on a prolific military family. I'm afraid my poor Norman was not a Freiherr, as none of the four Erkennungsmarke that I have for him mention that. They do list the following unit associations,

"Hauptmann u. Adjutant d. 11.Feldart.-Brig." (on a red/white Hessian cord)

"Hptm. in Genstb. 109.Inftr.Div." (which is crossed out) and on the other side, just "Hauptmann i. Generalstabe"

"Hauptmann und II.Generalstabsoffizier der 103.Inf.Division" and on the reverse, "Uniform des Feld Art.Reg.6."

Included in this lot was an old pattern Erkennungsmarke with "Hugo Freiherr von Buttlar"

Thanks for your effort and the information.

Chip

Chip,

Normann Viktor Treusch v. Buttlar-Brandenfels was the pre war Regimental Adjutant of Feldartillerie-Regiment von Peucker (1. Schlesisches) Nr. 6.

Leutnant: 14.2.04

Oberleutnant: 18.2.13 L6l

Hauptmann: 24.12.14 U71u

Herr Treusch's early career was quite complicated to research! Born on the 23.04.81 in Berlin-Sch?neberg, he graduated from the Hauptkadetten-Anstalt at Berlin-Lichterfelde as a char. F?hnrich on the 22.3.00 and was assigned to the 2. Ober-Els?ssisches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 51. Commissioned with a Patent of 18.8.01 L7l he attended the Field Artillery School of Gunnery from 10.2.04 - 31.5.04. He transfered into Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz August von Preu?en (1. Litthauisches) Nr. 1 on 16.3.05 and retired on account of a service related injury on 24.10.05.

He returned to service on the 1.10.08 as a Leutnant der Reserve in Feldartillerie-Regiment von Peucker (1. Schlesisches) Nr. 6 with a new Patent of seniority of 16.11.02 and was attached on full time service with this regiment initially for one year. On 17.9.09 his Patent as a Leutnant was adjusted again to reflect his new active seniority of 14.2.04. On the 1.10.11 he was appointed Adjutant of II./FAR. 6 and Regimental Adjutant in 1913/14.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Chip,

Normann Viktor Treusch v. Buttlar-Brandenfels was the pre war Regimental Adjutant of Feldartillerie-Regiment von Peucker (1. Schlesisches) Nr. 6.

Leutnant: 14.2.04

Oberleutnant: 18.2.13 L6l

Hauptmann: 24.12.14 U71u

Herr Treusch's early career was quite complicated to research! Born on the 23.04.81 in Berlin-Sch?neberg, he graduated from the Hauptkadetten-Anstalt at Berlin-Lichterfelde as a char. F?hnrich on the 22.3.00 and was assigned to the 2. Ober-Els?ssisches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 51. Commissioned with a Patent of 18.8.01 L7l he attended the Field Artillery School of Gunnery from 10.2.04 - 31.5.04. He transfered into Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz August von Preu?en (1. Litthauisches) Nr. 1 on 16.3.05 and retired on account of a service related injury on 24.10.05.

He returned to service on the 1.10.08 as a Leutnant der Reserve in Feldartillerie-Regiment von Peucker (1. Schlesisches) Nr. 6 with a new Patent of seniority of 16.11.02 and was attached on full time service with this regiment initially for one year. On 17.9.09 his Patent as a Leutnant was adjusted again to reflect his new active seniority of 14.2.04. On the 1.10.11 he was appointed Adjutant of II./FAR. 6 and Regimental Adjutant in 1913/14.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks! So Normann was the one from the non-Freiherr line. That clarifies, but returns to the open question category which one the FAR 70 officer was. Is there an FAR 70 history, or maybe a mention in one of the artillery Ehrenb?cher? The recalled Darmstadt Landwehr lt. colonel who was KIA in September 1914 might be another one whose name could be found. The three lieutenants might be harder.

Dave,

that was Hans Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels, born 21.08.73 in Berlin. Transfered from FAR. 11 to FAR 70 on the day of his promotion to Hauptmann (supernumery) on 1.10.12, he took over 4./FAR. 70 on 25.5.13.

Regards

Glenn

Dave,

more Treusch von Buttlars:

Another recalled Oberstleutnant z.D. Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels I don't know the name of. In 1914 he was the commander of Landwehr-Bezirk II Darmstadt, and he was killed in action on 10 September 1914 in France.

Oberstleutnant z.D. Horst Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels, KIA as Kdr. of I./Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 118.

And two of your Leutnants:

Burkhard Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels of 1.GRzF, Leutnant (ohne Patent - 16.10.17)

Horst Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels of Hr. 10 - later Generalmajor (1.1.44)

Incidentally the "Helden-Gedenkmappe des Deutschen Adels" listes 14 assorted von Buttlars as dying in WW1!

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for the excellent information on Norman. Since Hugo's Erkennungsmarke came with his, am I to assume that Hugo is likely his father? If so, why is Hugo a Freiherr and Norman not?

Could I ask if you have any additional information on Norman during the war? Your research ended with 1914 and I wondered if there was any wartime info.

Thanks again,

Chip