News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IRAN: Pahlavi Era Medals

I do not have much hope, but perhaps... I will owe a lot to anyone who can supply me with information about the following decorations of the Empire of Iran:

• Neshaan-e-Daraksh
    • Neshaan-e-Danesh
    • Neshaan-e-Honar
    • Neshaan-e-Avecinna
    • Neshaan-e-Razy
    • Sepahy Medal
    • Padash Medal
    • Farr Medal
    I would be more than happy to see the photos of these medals, but any information will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Lukasz

Edited by Ed_Haynes

You might try contacting the Shah in exile. I sent him an email 4 years ago about a ribbon bar I had bought and he did answer me. See here:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/index.htm

Also: There are a couple of exile military web site (the best is the imperial iranian navy one) and they sometimes answer questions.

Interesting idea. I doubt whether the Shah-Pretender knows much personally, but he may have people who do.

Like I said, he helped me...but the navy web site is a goldmine of useful contacts. They also may know about the Republics' awards-which are rare as rae can be and fascinating.

• 2 months later...

2- Rastakhiz Medal

For those supporting the 1953 counter-coup that reinstalled the shah?

Though there is also he National Uprising (28th Amordad) Medal, 1953 (Medal-e-Ghiam-e-Melli)???

We know so little! :banger::banger:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Yep, from what I know the Azerbaijan Medal was awarded for the suppression of the 1945-46 secession. The medal was also worn by Shah Reza Pahlavi himself. I thought that the blue of the ribbon was more purplish.

As far as the Rastakhiz Medal is concerned, you are probably right, but I cannot tell - the information is too scarce.

Beautiful medals anyway, both of them. Thank you, Ed :D

Lukasz

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 weeks later...

Greetings,

I am a new member to this forum and I was really please to find some information on the Azerbaijan and the Rastakhiz medal complete with photographs which I think were mine posted on another forum while seeking information. (Not complaining) As stated, information on medals of this era appears to be very limited and it is at least satisfying to be able to put a name to them. Thanks to Ed Haynes who I remember from other medal forums for naming them and supplying dates.

Thanks and regards,

Jim Morrison.

• 2 months later...

Here's one to ponder:

1- Order of Service (device ???)

2- Rastakhiz Medal (device ???); National Uprising (28th Amordad) Medal, 1953

3- Coronation of Shananshan and Shanbanu, 1967; 2500th Anniversary of the Persian Empire, 1971; Medal of Military Education (?)

Much work to do :)

:Cat-Scratch: I like the upright backing bars to line the rows up neatly. What does the back look like?

A rather uninteresting back with nasty points. Rather like the dynasty? (Attachment blob missing lower left -- again, suggestive of history?)

(At least it doesn't eat you, much, though it gave me a scar. But not a cannibal, unlike the dynasty. :rolleyes: )

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 5 years later...

Official portrait of Mohammad Reza (MR) Pahlavi made not earlier than mid-December 1946 and, I believe, the end of spring 1947.

The badges seen here are:

- Collar and star of the Order of Pahlavi (est. 1932 to replace the Order of Crown of Iran as the highest Iranian (dynastical) Order),

- Order of Zolfaqar (Zolfaghar) IV class, bestowed on MR in December 1946 (founded 1922, approved by Imperial firman (decree) in 1925),

- Third Esfand Decoration (with Faravahar), early version, bestowed on MR, I guess, in February 1946 (est. ca. 1927-28),

- Order of Liaqat (Liaghat) ? class, bestowed on MR in 1938,

- Order of Iftiqar (Eftekhar) probably II class, bestowed on MR, I think, in 1945/46.

Lions the Crownbearers (official badge of Shahanshah since 1943 until 1979) are on MR's shoulder marks (epaulettes) here.

shapremes.jpg

Edited by Mitya Ivanov

Official portrait of Reza Shah Pahlavi made ca. 1933/34.

The badges seen here are:

- Star of the Order of Pahlavi,

- Order of Zolfaqar IV class (though Reza Shah was awarded - the only one in the history of this order - the third class too in 1925),

- Third Esfand Decoration, early version of course:)

- Order of Sepah, probably II class, bestowed on Reza Shah in 1924/25 (est. 1924).

The sash of the Order of Pahlavi looks inverted here due to this well-known photo-technological 'defect' which misrepresents certain pairs of colours (blue+yellow, green+red etc.)

Lions and Suns are on Reza Shah's shoulder marks here.

sevesfa.jpg

Edited by Mitya Ivanov

Sepahbod (i.e. lieutenant general) Fazlollah Zahedi as Prime Minister in August 1953.

Left - with his son Ardeshir, right - with miniatures of his awards:

zahedares.jpg

- Sash (with badge unseen) and star of the Order of Crown of Iran I class (reserved for Prime Ministers at least since 1938).

- Order of Zolfaqar IV class,

- Third Esfand Decoration, early version,

- Order of Sepah, probably III class,

- Order of Liaqat, ? class,

- Golden [sepah?] medal [with portrait of Reza Shah in 3/4), green ribbon.

The star of the Order of The Sun (Kingdom of Afghanistan) is also seen here - see the upper right photo.

Edited by Mitya Ivanov

pahlajub.jpg

The last medal of Imperial Iran praises the 50th Anniversary of Pahlavi Dynasty with ribbon of the Order of Pahlavi. Its design follows the composition of the order's medallion seen both on badge and star. 1976.

The medal bears the name "Pahlavi" (above) and date 2535 (i.e. 1976).

Edited by Mitya Ivanov

• 3 years later...

Dear Fellow Numismatists

I act in good faith and hope I cause no offence. I am not sure if it is appropriate to comment here and if not I am ready to rectify the matter....But I have recently published my thirty years of reserach that I wrote over four and a half years on the subject of the Orders, Decorations, and Medals of the Empire of Iran. I had seen the lack of information in this particular thread and elsewhere. I had hoped to assist.

You may wish to buy the book. I am also happy to assist in identifying awards and offer my hand in friendship to you all.... Sincerely Dr O J Younessi

https://www.amazon.com/Orders-Decorations-Medals-Empire-Iran/dp/1621379175/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1479546270&sr=8-4&keywords=Younessi

• 1 month later...