News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 74
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Hello Ernestine Order Collectors & Afficianados!

I would like to add a Different Example of the Ernestine Order, from my collection.

Deruelle, your EH3bX & other Examples are Superb & are of such beautiful construction!

Wildcard / ErikMuller - your "Mini's" are fantastic!

Carol 1 - the examples which you shown really help in better understanding the different 'types' of the Ernestine Order!

Deruelle - from the information which you posted, I surmise that my example is a WWI, or even later, 'type' -

based solely upon the age & history of the recipient, Walther Junecke, of Halle.

Walther Junecke was the TN ? TeNo (Technische Nothilfe) Landerfuhrer of LG XVII (from 1938-1945), & he was also

a General Major der Polizei from 1943-1945. I acquired his Parade Medals & the two Medal Bars - all showing an award of ? Class / Type ? of the Ernestine Order.

(Shown Below & I have tried to enlarge the 'Medal' to show the Detail).

(1) Which ? Class / Type ? of the Ernestine Order is represented?

(2) What is the Significance of two sizes, of the Medal Bars?

Many Thanks! ...... Dave/dblmed

Guest Rick Research

Aha. That is the 1935 (and 1935 only) "Nazi" version-- the last gasp of old "dynastic" awards before Hitler shut them down--legally, anyway.

Poor wannabe Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha was responsible for these. He hitched himself to the Nazi regime and skated execution afterwards only by playing up his embarassing kinship to the British royal family.

That is a Knight 1st Class. The abbreviation in "Rank List Speak" for Research Gnomes would be "EH3amXaR." That class before 1919 (swords on the ring did not exist on the ORDER Cross grades EXCEPT on the 1935 awards) would have gone to Captains, by rank.

The crown over swords devices on his ribbon bars would fake us out, without seeing the full size, into thinking that they were wartime types with swords through the center of the Order. There was no way to distinguish the M1935s on ribbon bars.

Size of those two is simply fashion choice.

I have no total award figures for the M1935 Ernestines. Max Hans in his "Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen von Sachsen-Coburg... 1689-1935" (1986) illustrated examples but gave no award Rolls. Those presumably exist in the possession of the private house archives of whoever the current dynastic head of the Saxe-Coburg family is now.

Thanks Rick! ..... Your fantastic Explanation & Historical Review is greatly appreciated!

Now, I can better 'understand' - WHY I had such difficulties in "Understanding" the Signicance

of this TR "Last" Ernestine Order! Many Thanks(!) ...... Dave/dblmed

I can only add some pictures.

For example this one.

A Sergeant of the "Schutztruppe" after the campaign against the Hereros and Hottentotten.

On the bar:

Milit?rehrenzeichen II

silberne Verdienstmedaille mit Schwertern des S?chs.-Ernestinischen Hausordens (Coburg-Gotha)

Deutsch-S?dwestafrika- Denkm?nze mit 5 Gefechtsspangen

A nice pic. but still without a name :unsure:

Edited by Leutwein

Hello Dave.

Thanks for showing us this very interesting group. It may interest you to know that this 1935 type exists as miniature as well. I have enclosed a few other types in addition to those shown by Wildcard & ErikMuller as well. Enjoy!

Regards, Lars

Karsten - What Amazing Photos - showing the Ernestine Order in wear! How Very Special! Those MUST be very

Rare Photos! CONGRATS! Thanks for Sharining them!

Lars - Simply WONDERFUL - with the extent of "Mini's" of the Ernestine Order! They are so beautiful, that it

makes my Head Spin & Eye are glued to the Screen! (I was unaware of the "Mini" to the 1935 'last' Ernestine Order!

Thanks for Informing me, and advancing the Knowledge base! When I purchased the LF & GenMaj. Junecke Collection

from his last remaining family member - there was no 'Mini' in the trove of items! Now, I will look for one - but I do

suspect that it will be a difficult Hunt - as almost ANY example of the Ernestine Order is hard to locate!)

This is GREAT Thread on the Ernestine Order - & it keeps getting even better with each Post! ...Txs, Dave/dblmed

Guest Rick Research

Heiko-- Fritz Delitzsch returned home to Germany and was serving in Feldart Rgt 9 when the war started. He received a wartime EH3aX (Awards Rolls book :rolleyes: ) to replace that EH3b, but was killed in action 1 June 1918 near Nampcel as a Hauptmann in Feldart Rgt 259.

The military chaplain above was Protestant Military Senior Chaplain (Oberpfarrer) Konsistorialrat Dr. Heinrich Wilhelm Rocholl. Born in Elberfeld 20 September 1845. In 1907 he was the Protestant Corps Chaplain for X. Armeekorps. Because of the romantic fuzzy edging, his pinback Oldenburg House order isn't shown, and later in 1907 than this was taken he'd advance that Red Eagle 4 to a 3rd with Bow in front of his Crown Order 3.

The 1897 Medal is always a tip-off that a clergyman was in the military chaplain corps, not a civilian.

Guest Rick Research

Nice to see this old thread getting action again. I just realized that when Joe Miller posted (#s 13 and 14) way back in 2007 we had NO idea how many Meiningen "1914" with Swords Silver Medals there were. That was in the time B.R. (Before Rolls)

Of course, after the 1914-18 Ernestine award rolls were published last year, now we do. :catjava:

I've been rummaging around trying to see if there was any statutory suspension of Meiningen's Ernestine MEDALS during the war. Can't find any paperwork on that, but Meiningen DOES seem to have simply stopped awarding both classes of their Ernestine Medals in favor of the brinze and later zink War Merit Medals. Their Rolls are not incomplete-- they simply END. :rolleyes:

I think I've previously posted any and all photos I have with Ernestines (coincidentally) being worn--

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24015

etc etc but if anybody else has any previously unposted ones like Heiko's above that are still nameless, let's see them...

nameless 1914-18 Ernestine medal bars and ribbon bars too.

After all, NOW we have the Rolls. :rolleyes:

Because of the romantic fuzzy edging, his pinback Oldenburg House order isn't shown.

I do not see the neckbadge either. I thought the pinback (CCI?) Would come with a neckbadge always?

regards

David

Guest Rick Research

Senior Chaplain Rocholl went from Oldenburg House Order Knight 1st (OV3a) as shown in the second photo, to pinback officer cross (OV3) between 1903/04 Rank Lists. The higher grade replaced the lower.

OV3 was a distinct class... there was no neck badge with it.

Senior Chaplain Rocholl went from Oldenburg House Order Knight 1st (OV3a) as shown in the second photo, to pinback officer cross (OV3) between 1903/04 Rank Lists. The higher grade replaced the lower

...does this mean that my second photo is from 1903 or earlier?

Guest Rick Research

Yes. Dr.phil. (huh-- I expected a Dr.theol.) Rocholl retired as military Senior Chaplain between the 1913 and 1914 Rank Lists, with the same awards he had in 1907-- unless Prussia gave him a KO2 as a retirement present. Per the Nekrolog to the 1935 "Wer Ist's?" he died in Bonn after the previous (1928) edition, but no date is listed.