News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 74
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

That's a very strange uniform with collar and cuff edging I've never seen before. Theodor Fontane was born in Berlin 3 November 1856.

Hidden behind his 1897 Medal is a Schwarzburg Honor Cross 2nd Class and Waldeck Nerit Cross 3rd.

He also upgraded his Red Eagle to 3rd with Bow by 1909 and had a Reuss Honor Cross 1st Class (Elder Line) and Weimar White Falcon-Commander, as well as a Prussian Landwehr Decoration 2nd Class I don't see in there.

This sort of group illustrates the oddity of how each of the states awarded Orders. The Ernestine Commander grades were given to MAJORS and the equivalent-- while in just about every other state, neck crosses went to full Colonels.

WOW !!!!!!! Thank you very much for the name of Rocholl !!!

Here is one more photo of him - not with Oldenburg pinback but with Oldenburg on the bar!!!

The photo reminds me of a puupet I saw once. Cannot remember if it was a muppet or a freggle. Without ensulting the Reverend, the puppet I recall (only vaguely ofcourse) looks just like him with that chin, nose and the hair backwards.

but that's just LOL, :cheeky: please forgive me :off topic:

Guest Rick Research

The Traveling Museum floated in to visit today :cheers: on a cold, dank tide as the First Winter of 2009 refuses to withdraw. Here is an 1870 Meiningen Ernestine Medal to an old former career NCO still alive in 1913:

post-160-1245638326_thumb.jpg

post-160-1245638371_thumb.jpg

Note that the thick silver date Spange has been punched right through the typical :speechless1: tin backing rather than simply folded around the ribbon. I'm surprised these were not pinned on or made to slide. BENDING them seems an awfully bad idea!

Guest Rick Research

Closeup. I have no idea what the numbers awarded were for the 3 Duchies' 1870/71 Medals

post-160-1245638587_thumb.jpg

Rick,

You have all the luck. Another visit from the Traveling Museum,

all I get for visitors is a couple of old Ernestine medals.

Incidentally, how do you figure that that guy was still alive in 1913?

post-226-1245645977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wild Card

really bad picture quality this time.... this paper has seen a lot of trouble and is nearly at the end of his life....

some kind of civil navy captain with a 5-place medal bar : red eagle 4 , crown order 4 , DA or Landwehr-DA ??? , Oldenburg house order ??? and in last place the good old SEHO

on his buttons is the same sign as on his cap - maybe the sign of his shipping company - looks like crossed key and anchor ...........

no place , no name , nothing on it that helps.......

Guest Rick Research

I think that's Norddeutscher Lloyd, but hard to tell.

Can't do civilians without a name, alas.

BUT if that is a Prussian/Reichs LD1 "XX" there in the middle, maybe he can be found as a Seewehr officer....

I don't find him in 1905, 1908, or 1914.

Closeup. I have no idea what the numbers awarded were for the 3 Duchies' 1870/71 Medals

post-160-1245638587_thumb.jpg

Rick, there may be a partial answer to your question. The book, "Ehrenzeichen des Herzogtums Sachsen - Altenburg" does have award numbers listed in it for 1870/1. It states 139 awards of the silver medal with the 1870/1 sword bar.

• 4 years later...