News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal

Catchy little title, suppose it would'nt be called the Irag Occupation Medal though would it?

Rhodium plated cupro-nickel, it would'been a nice idea to produce it in silver, but I suppose cupro nickel is'nt too bad when compared to the multitude of "antiqued" base metal or compressed cardboard or whatever that's awarded under the auspices of the UN, NATO etc.

If you read the list of qualifying classes, the name of the medal (politics aside) does seem apt. You'll need to add six or seven more clasps to the campaign medal to cover occuption duty? At least the design features no plundered Iraqi national treasures (as the regular campaign medal does), though the ribbon is more than a bit evocative of UNEF. I fear the age of silver medals, like the age of clasps as a matter of intention not accident, is long gone. As a medal for civilians this one avoids these charges, but so much of what is done today seems to be done simply to increase the numbers of ribbons on British military chests so they can hold their heads high when standing next to their Amerikan Cousins, who leave basic training pre-equipped with three or four ribbons.

I only left boot camp with one Ribbon... National Defense Service medal. I feel cheated!

:banger:

I cannot open the document. I do not recognize the PDF type program icon represented by the website.

Regards

Paul

I only left boot camp with one Ribbon... National Defense Service medal. I feel cheated!

:banger:

I cannot open the document. I do not recognize the PDF type program icon represented by the website.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

I can see where you would feel cheated. I left Basic training with three ribbons, one was my Expert Marksman Ribbon as the Air Force uses a ribbon instead of a badge for Marksmanship.

:beer: Doc

Guest Rick Research

Ribbons not bad. Herself doesn't look too pleased, though. And assuming that the reverse symbolizes the parallel flow of the Tigris and Euphrates, WHAT is the slab of CHEESE in the middle supposed to be? It is not, he said, voice rising several octaves in anticipatory dread, a BRICK, is it??????????

"Yes, M'lud. It is An Brick. Symbolic of goin' to Professional Art College and only bein' able to draw straight lines. Note the textured pittin' wot brings to life the fact that it is ... An Brick." :speechless1:

(I liked the "old fashioned" ones with bare-breasted sphynxes and winged lions and Britannia lolling about tangled in gear. Gave you something to LOOK at....)

Ribbons not bad. Herself doesn't look too pleased, though. And assuming that the reverse symbolizes the parallel flow of the Tigris and Euphrates, WHAT is the slab of CHEESE in the middle supposed to be? :speechless1:

(I liked the "old fashioned" ones with bare-breasted sphynxes and winged lions and Britannia lolling about tangled in gear. Gave you something to LOOK at....)

Ribbon soooo close to UNEF.

Better than her wearing her Clown Crown?

As explained in the notification (the PDF file), the central legenmd is an inspirational message in Cuneiform. Again, better than stolen Iraqi national treasures?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

"inspirational message in Cuneiform"

Oh well, that's all right then. :cheers: One does always like the readily obvious. :speechless:

One also hopes some jolly joker did not make something up which is going to turn out to be Inappropriate after they are paid for and produced.

I can't "do" pdf's either... although my technological backwardness does not QUITE "retro" to...

inspirational cuneiform. :cheeky:

OK, to quote:

The cuneiform symbols on the reverse of the medal can be roughly translated as ?land bringing forth life?. The depiction of the two rivers is based on relief carving from Mesopotamia, to be found in the British Museum.

Well, this is based on plundered national treasure of Iraq too, but not as bad as the regular campaign medal.

Well, it's a good job we did plunder a few treasures, otherwise there'd be bugger all left to take medal designs from, seen as the Baghdad Museum is now (sadly) pretty much sans exhibits -courtesy of the local populace (and I was so tempted to say 'natives' then).

The first thing the ribbon reminded me of was the Africa Star. All in all I quite like it, and I can see these being quite hard to find - unlike the Iraq Medals... and unlike the copies which will undoubtedly appear on eBay within a fortnight... if that!

[I was wondering how long it'd take for my dodgy, patched together, photo-editing efforts to appear elsewhere]

Edited by Tony Farrell

Conquest, occupation, liberation.........but "reconstruction" just does'nt sound right for a medal.

Ugly too.

What the heck - more bottle tops & fruit salad for the old uniform.

Forgot - & for the old not uniform.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Yers! Nekkid ladies is ART, so long as der's an urn or a vase in da picture. A bit o' net curtain draped strategic is choice too. Culture an all dat! ;)

Peter (I know what I like) Monahan