News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These old (pre-1887) type Saint Michael miniatures are (amung?!) the nicest miniatures that are around. And while I'm actaully collection Baden awards, I couldn't part with mine after I bought it, actually for re-sale purposes... thanks for showing, Wild Card!

:beer:

From what I know, it must be a knight's cross 1st class. The knight's cross 2nd class was the same, but without crown. Both were abolished in 1887, when new types came out.

In regards to the Nimmergut lexicon, I can not recommend it. While it might be usefull for quests like this, it's not worth its money - and contains literally tons of mistakes.

Mhh, perhaps because I hadn't seen it... it keeps getting better and better!

Now this could be either a Großkreuz, as it was awarded the full time from 1837 to 1918, or a Komturkreuz, which again was abolished and replaced by the "2nd class" cross in 1887.

Both these crosses share one design and differ in size and wear only. No chance to be sure if a single miniature is the one or the other...

Main point: it's incredibly scarce and nice!

:whistle:

Thanks, I had kind of figured that out ;) The round center is still confusing though and I haven't seen any illustrations of it. I always believed this to be a Grosskreuz due to the golden reverse, rather than the enamelled type found on the 1st class.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your kind comments regarding my little St. Michael cross. Yes, it represents a knight’s 1st class cross, which, as Saschaw( :beer: ) points out, was awarded from 1837-1887. A full size cross is shown below.

I agree with Beau Newman that at such times Jörg Nimmergut’s magnum opus can be very useful… but Saschaw’s warning of errors must be heeded. Aside from that, Iwould add that Georg Schreiber’s “Die Bayerischen Orden und Ehrenzeichen” (printed in 1964) is helpful.

Thank you all again.

Wild Card

• 4 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Going back a bit for a moment.

Lars, your Ernst August Orden cross is a truly beautiful and rare gem.

I hope that I may be fortunate enough to see it some day.

Peter J, I think that your St. Henry (post #494) is really a knight’s, not commander’s, cross.

The very early kight’s crosses of this order are distinguished by their “massive” fixed crown

with the small and rather odd öse. See below -

Thanks for the update :) This is an illustration of my dilemma i.e. not having enough reference material for a definite identification. Nimmergut's book has one alleged "Kommandeurkreuz (mit starrer Krone ((fixed))" with this odd oval shaped "öse" and void of the ribbon loop (seemingly the same features as on mine). He also shows a "Kommandeurkreuz (mit beweglicher Krone ((mobile)) with a round "öse and ribbed loop. There are no illustrations of any of the two Knight Cross types in Nimmergut's book "Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen 1800-1945". Any other sources for illustrations I might look for?

• 2 weeks later...

A little different comment, it seems that the two miniatures in the middle have been cut off at some time and others have been added later on. Those two could have been the ones that are there now or something completely different, you'll never know, once it could have been a completely different combination. So in my opinion a made up chain that would not fit into my collection because of the obvious uncertainty, but as it is a gift you should enjoy it and acknowledge the good faith in which is was given ;).

Lars

Edited by larsb001

Thanks Lars, just the analytic comments a appreciate getting on this forum ;) Regardless of questionable provenance regarding the chain iyself, I lack 5 of the 6 minis and was thrilled to receive them, You as a genuine "connoisseur" might be thinking twice before mounting this chain amongst your other minis, but we're all different personalities walking the world, thank God! :)

Tan Wonderful stuff!! I'm jealous. I had a good 3-4 year run with a mini obsession, so I'll have to contribute soon.

Eric

Hello Eric, 

Thank you for the nice words, can't wait to see your contribution!

Tan 

Tan Wonderful stuff!! I'm jealous. I had a good 3-4 year run with a mini obsession, so I'll have to contribute soon.

Eric

Some obsessions never die.  ----    I've got a couple new mini Eks coming.

Peter,

Interesting chain. What is the mark on the reverse of the EKI ? LDO number or silver content? My eyes cannot make it out.

Have you seen period in wear pictures of EKI and EKII being worn in combination on a chain? I do not recall but am off to dig through my notes.

--dj--Joe

Hi Joe,

I believe it reads "850". From the back of my head, I'm not sure about two EK´s on the same chain on any contemporary photo. I've seen this combination on many occasions though and the same goes for the single sided EK1.