News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Superb medal..

... Masonic I am told. It is big, of an exceptional quality, blew me away but knowing nothing of the values I did not buy it. I guess a one off piece, specially fitted case... must have cost a bomb back then. The seller said it came from russia, so I guess pre WW1 Russian?

At the time I did some internet research and found this exact badge, I dont know much about masons (nothing actually) but I found this exact symbol as the badge of the highest level (level one or two I think?)

The eagle, crown, sword etc were all there.

My guess would be Masonic, even without the triangle above the crown.. After all, triangular cut diamonds are few and far between. cheeky.gif Whatever, it's a pretty amazing piece of bling.

Guest WAR LORD

Having seen the sit and the regalia, I would be very suprised if this is under the constition of the Grand Lodge.

The Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite (AASR) "is an appendant body of Masonry, meaning that it is not part of the Blue Lodge per se, but closely associated with Masonry. It requires that a man be a Master Mason before joining the Scottish Rite. The Scottish Rite confers the 4th through 32nd degrees. The degree work may be, but is not necessarily, completed at one time. Any Master Mason is eligible to join the Scottish Rite. The degrees of the Scottish Rite continue the symbolism of the first three Masonic degrees."

"The Scottish Rite awards a special honorary degree, the 33rd, to those it feels has made an outstanding contribution to Masonry, the community as a whole, and to mankind. There is no way to 'achieve' this degree or 'take' it, in the sense that one takes the 4th through 32nd degrees in the Scottish Rite. It is a singular honor, rarely bestowed, and greatly admired."

- Andrew Fabbro, "Freemasonry FAQ" Version 1.2

Guest WAR LORD

The Grand Lodge is the Govening body of English Freemasonry. Back to the jewel, I contacted a member and he thinks this could be for a Foriegn Lodge. In Britain the Organisation is known as Rose Quior. The emblem is an Eagle and a pelican.

Guest Rick Research

SCOTTISH Rite! That's it. I knew this design crown/eagle/sword had come up before (though not be-diamonded, and in a mid 19th century case).

I can never remember which is whose (Scottish... York... ) with these "secret" dinguses, but see similar bits and pieces from time to time in Junque Shoppes among costume jewelry and such. The sellers have no more clue than we Non Aproned do what realistic "value" there is to old (or not old) fraternal insignia cast offs.