News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Red Cross Awards

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now on to the pins I had originally planned to post. Red Cross organizations around the world seem to produce lots of small pins, and as we are well aware, a lot of them have an original purpose in being given out but those reasons have fanded into the past and we may never find out their significance. Some of the following pins fall into that category, others do not.

The first pin is an inexpensive plastic one 5.5 cm in diametre (2 1/4") for what would be termed in Canada as the Junior Red Cross.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

The next pin has a black background and bears the familiar Hungarian symbol of the lamp. From looking at these types of awards in my collection I feel that the lamp was the more recent of the two designs. I do not know if the background colours have any significance.

The last one I have to post may not be Red Cross related but it does bear the Red Cross symbol and is definitely Hungarian because of the colours and writing on it which translates as "Effective Public Health". This is a small pin being only 1.4 cm (3/4") in diamtere

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 4 months later...

I got a red cross bronze version (as illustrated above) this week. Some of the older photos have evaporated into cyberspace over the past 2 years sadly.

Just to confirm-is this the Hungarian Red Cross Merit Medal: bronze class? Rakosi era?

The enamel work is superb-as always.

Ulsterman,

From your photo/scan it appears to be the bronze class of the Hungarian Red Cross Merit Medal. As to Rakosi era? No way for me to tell. You say it is enamelled so it is earlier than the painted ones but that doesn't help us confirm time frame any more than that unfortunately. I have no resource material on Red Cross badges so nothing to look in to help.

Regards,

Gordon

I'm fairly certain that the badge in post #64

is not Red Cross - the colors are reversed,

as to what it is... there are a number of related

organizations - first aid, samaritans,

that exist in various eurpoean countries

[the swiss, germans, austrians & itallians

are ones I've seen examples]

or it might just be "patriotic"

besides organizations using a white cross on a red field

there are others using a green cross on a white field

much of the time when I've run into white cross on red field

my first suspicion is that its something swiss

as the orgin of the red cross symbol is the inverse of the swiss flag

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 years later...

Dear Gordon Craig,

I am a Hungarian collector. I would like to inquire about the badge in post # 64. I do not think either that the badge would be Red Cross emblem. I would like to buy it from you or I could exchange it for an other, rare, Hungarian Red Cross badges from the WWI, WWII or from later period.

I am waiting for your answer.

Regards,

holdencaulfield