News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Air Force Award Unveiled

A Combat Action Medal has been announced by USAF:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/01/afmedal070128/

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/01/AFmedal070129/

(Credit to svcadet32)

It is a fairly rare example of a skeletal US medal. I personally like the design - the star above the eagle could be moved up a bit. But the most impressive to me is the ribbon - the first diagonal one in US medallic history. God save the Queen! ;)

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just not sure how it will fit in among all the other multi-coloured clutter that defines US awards these days. And, so often, designing a ribbon and producing it nicely are two different things. Unless executed with elegance and quality of production, diagonally striped ribbons don't work.

So . . . the Air Force has a medal for combat readiness and a medal for combat. How about a medal for combat aftermath?

It so easily gets so silly.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

So they will award you a medal if somebody shoots at you in the line of duty. I thought that was the whole idea of being in the military, every now and then you may find yourself in the line of fire.

Next they will have a medal for those who do not get shot at in the line of duty, just so they do not feel left out !

From the site,

a little quote from the criteria..

"The Air Force released in writing Monday the criteria for receiving the Combat Action Medal, the Air Force?s equivalent to the Army?s Combat Action Badges and Marine Corps and Navy Combat Action Ribbon."

So where others get a badge or a ribbon, the airforce, who are already really the clerks of the whole defence, will get a medal, just to have another jingle jangle going on.

I think that they feel they get too few medals compared to the army or other departments.....

Well, let's say that's another medal we can collect legally as it isn't mentioned in the stolen valor act.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kind regards,

Jacky

So where others get a badge or a ribbon, the airforce, who are already really the clerks of the whole defence, will get a medal, just to have another jingle jangle going on.

I remember my brother-in-law who was in Iraq in 2003-04. He said when the Air Force arrived at the base he was at - the Army sighed a big sigh as they knew it was now safe and there were to be no more mortar attacks. (truly after the winged boys showed up the mortar attacks went to zero...)

• 4 months later...

I think Lukasz' ribbon was the first runner-up in the design competition!

While I'm not enthusiastic about the design, it's better than many of the "Medal for Coming to Work" designs of late. The Army has had it right with the CIB for 60+ years -- use a badge with strict criteria that can be worn with pride on all uniforms. This Air Force thing will never be worn in full size, except by the Honor Guard, so why not follow the Army's lead and design a simple badge.

It's time for the services to sit down and truly look at their ribbon charts and cut out the excess. That would require some unpleasant decisions to do away with some senseless awards, and open up all sorts of silly arguments ("Mine were well-earned, yours are crap!"), but we are getting to the point of folks coming out of basic training with two rows of ribbons. If everyone gets the award, it ceases to be a distinction.

I'm a little outdated on this, but I think this is possible:

National Defense Service

Global War on Terrorism Service

Honor Graduate Ribbon

Small Arms Expert Marksman

Training Ribbon

The GWOT may actually come after training is completed, but it's a blanket award these days.

So, 5 ribbons before tech school!

I'm a little outdated on this, but I think this is possible:

National Defense Service

Global War on Terrorism Service

Honor Graduate Ribbon

Small Arms Expert Marksman

Training Ribbon

The GWOT may actually come after training is completed, but it's a blanket award these days.

So, 5 ribbons before tech school!

That is incredible!! :speechless1:

I thought that they stopped issuing the GWOTSM...(I am not really sure)

That is incredible!! :speechless1:

I thought that they stopped issuing the GWOTSM...(I am not really sure)

Crikey, and to think we take the piss because they hand out a gong here in Oz after you have completed your initial four years of service.

To date they have handed out over 100 000 of them, making it one the most prolific medals under the Australian Honours and Awards system, excluding WW1 and WW2 service medals as they were issued under the Imperial system. They expect that they will reach close to the million mark if all ex-servicemen and women, post September 1945, apply.

Regards;

Johnsy

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a copy of the regulations on the Global War on Terror Service? I think more is involved than just being in uniform and breathing.

everyone in the Army gets one as soon as you graduate basic, the expeditionary medal you actually have to "earn" well at least go overseas for 1 day hahaha

Eric

Yes, remember there are TWO medals for The War Against Terror, an "expeditionary" medal and a "service" medal. In additional to the National Defense Service Medal and the separate medals for Iraq and Afghanistan. Much confusion has ensued.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Here's the relevant Executive Order:

Executive Order 13289 of March 12, 2003 Establishing the Global War on Terrorism Medals

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including my authority as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal. There is hereby established the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with suitable appurtenances. Except as limited in section 3 of this order, and under uniform regulations to be prescribed by the Secretaries of the military departments

and approved by the Secretary of Defense, or under regulations to be prescribed by the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Navy, the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal shall be awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who serve or have served in military expeditions to combat terrorism, as defined by such regulations, on or after September 11, 2001, and before a terminal date to be prescribed by the Secretary of Defense.

Sec. 2. Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. There is hereby established the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal with suitable appurtenances. Except as limited in section 3 of this order, and under uniform regulations to be prescribed by the Secretaries of the military departments and approved by the Secretary of Defense, or under regulations to be prescribed by the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Navy, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal shall be awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who serve or have served in military operations to combat terrorism, as defined by such regulations, on or after September 11, 2001, and before a terminal date to be prescribed by the Secretary of Defense.

It does get confusing, Im wearing at the moment the GWOTSM ,GWOTEM AND the Iraq campaign medal.... most don't get both (Iraq and GWOTEM) mot guys got the expeditionary medal which means no Iraq campaign or vice versa. I was stuck in Kuwait for a little over a month which earned me the GWOTEM then once in Iraq I got the campaign medal which technically is a different Theatre.....wheeeew not sure if that makes much sense :speechless1:

Eric