News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hong Kong Plague Medal

• 9 months later...
    Guest pikemedals

HI NICK, THE MEDAL WAS GIVEN BY THE HONG KONG COMMUNITY TO THREE HUNDRED MEN OF THE SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY.AND FIFTY MEMBERS OF THE NAVY AND ROYAL ENGINEERS,ALSO TO MEMBERS OF THE LOCAL POLICE.IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE WORN IN UNIFORM,AS IT NOT A SERVICE MEDAL.APPROX.40 MEDALS WERE GIVEN IN GOLD TO OFFICERS. A FEW CIVILIAN OFFICIALS AND POSSIBLY,A FEW NURSING SISTERS.THE BUBONIC PLAGE LASTED FROM 5TH TO 3RD SEPTEMBER,1894 WHEN HONG KONG WAS DECLARED FREE. HOPE THIS MAY HELP YOU PAUL

Edited by pikemedals

• 1 year later...
    • 13 years later...
    • 4 months later...

Seem to recall the KSLI had something to do with this?

Not sure if their medals were officially issued named? 

I suppose it was like the Ebola medal of it’s day, or dare I say it Covid... if a medal is ever awarded for that. 

Thought this might be of interest?

https://www.dcmmedals.co.uk/a-medal-for-the-black-death-hong-kong-1894/

There is a book called The Whitewash Brigade, which deals with the bubonic plague outbreak and has a roll of recipients. thr SLI happened to be stationed In HK and so they were the major recipients. They were not to be officially worn by serving troops.

p