News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These medals are from my Grandfather's brother. His QSA is from his time with the Royal Sussex Regiment. I believe from what I was told he was totally enamourmed with South Africa and when his initial enlistment was up went back and joined the Bechuanaland Police. Obviously he was back in the UK when WW1 broke out as he must have re-enlisted pretty quickly to get the 1914 Star (AVC). From his medal index cards it appears that he did not see out the whole of WW1 and probably went back to Bechuanaland to earn the LS medal with the police.

Very nice Jim and those photos are fantastic.

Did he stay in Africa after going back to the police or go to the UK again?

Tony

Thanks Tony.

From what I know he went back to the police and stayed in Bechuanaland until he died. Details about him are sketchy, reading between the lines he was a bit of a black sheep I think. On the back of the picture of him with a pipe is an inscription saying he was well under the influence when it was taken. I've downloaded his Medal Index Cards from Kew (he's got 3!) and it appears he was discharged from the army 28/10/1915. I'm going to try to find out from my uncle that lives in Canada when he died, and take it from there, though I suspect trying to research a career with the Bech. Protectorate Police will be difficult. I wonder how good the Botswana national archives are? :cheeky:

Here are his brother, my grandfather's WW1 medals, along with his WW2 medals still in their packets.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I have about 10 petersons... I smoke them in secret as pipes look so pretentious nowadays...

They're a fine pipe, I've got 2, one smooth and one rough. Both of them are 'bent' like the one in the photo. Curiously I bought both before I ever saw the photos. I don't think smoking a pipe is pretentious, owning 10 though is borderline :cheers: . Unless you're a closet collector :cheeky: