News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Group to 2 Brothers

Evening Gents,

The postman delivered a welcome new addition to my small collection today. A group to 2 brothers from the Middlesex area.

One is Sidney H Taylor, 14137 R.E., his 1914 star, BWM & Victory

Second is his brother George Taylor, 36237 A.S.C. (previously Middsx reg), his 1914-15 star, BWM & Victory

I have downloaded the medal cards and they all check out. Questions now concern the transfer to ASC - George's 1914-15 has a 't-' before the number, which I presume relates to this?

What was a nice extra is the Princess Mary goodie tin from Xmas 1914, and when I examined it I saw it's engraved with Sidney's name, date and reg number, presumably done by him?

This humble lot is fresh onto the market from the brother's family, so I will pump the seller for more info. I can also do some photos if there is interest...

Cheers

Gilbert

Hello Gilbert,

There's interest in pictures alright. You are very lucky to get a set like that!

I have a book on the prefixes indoors (I've just got to work) so I'll have a look later. I think it had something to do with being old army ASC but will check and let you know this evening.

Tony

Hello Gilbert,

ASC medals with the prefix T - are transport section

SASC medals also have T - which denotes horse transport

ASC medals with T1 T2 T3 or T4 are 1st to 4th new armies

T. is for line regiments

Is the Mary tin empty? I've been after a tin with full pack of cigarettes for ages (I'm too tight, no, I'm too careful with my money to pay the mad prices they go for) as my one only has 4 left in the pack.

Tony

Tony, what's the book about the prefixes. I would be interested in buying a copy of that.

Although one of the things I could not buy would be the Queen Mary tin. Imagine returning home from the pub late on a Saturday night, gasping for a fag cos you forgot to buy any and they were the only one's in the house. Sorry, but the pack would be finished by morning. I couldn't stand having one in the house knowing I would eventually destroy it by smoking the fags.

Graeme

Graeme,

The prefixes are in Howard Williamson's "The Collector and Researcher's guide to the Great War vol 1".

There are 2 volumes and if you are in to British Great War collecting (especially medals) they are a must. I bought mine last year directly from H. Williamson and at the time he told me they were almost out of print. Not cheap but well worth the ?78 I paid.

If you have any prefixes on your medals and are wondering what they mean, send me a PM and I'll look them up for you.

As for the tins, I don't smoke so no danger of them disappearing after a drink, it'd be a different matter if the Mary tins came with cheese on toast. I also have a full pack of tobacco so I won't be drinking with you. tongue.gif

Tony

Thanks Guys,

Yes I also bought Williamson's book recently, but haven't got to the part about prefixes yet - as you know the book is a monster and has no index !

The Mary tin has no gaspers (just as well as, despite being off the cancer sticks for almost a year, you never know when the little voices might start again). There is the little card though from Mary and those at home, plus a couple of French cards, one of which is rather charming and hand coloured.

I will sort out some photos as soon as I get a chance,

All the Best

Gilbert

Is the little card from Mary the Christmas or New Year card?

I only realised there were two different cards a couple of months ago after buying a tin with pencil and card.

Tony

Is the little card from Mary the Christmas or New Year card?

I only realised there were two different cards a couple of months ago after buying a tin with pencil and card.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Was going to take a few digi snaps tonight but the batteries have died angry.gif . The card is for Xmas and New year, and the box is inscribed by the owner Dec 25th. There is a separate card with Mary's monogram, but nothing else - presumbly an insert from the fag packet?

cheers

Gilbert

And here's a pencil with 1915 New Years card.

If anyone wants to donate their complete tins to a very good home (my home) please don't hesitate to do so, especially you Gilbert. I'm back in Bermondsey for a day later in the week so you can leave your one in a secret hiding place for me down Lower Road.

Tony

Lovely Stuff Graeme,

Looks like Mary finished packing it yesterday wink.gif . My tin is very grubby and tarnished (it looks like wood at the moment!). what could I use to bring up the nice gilt finish without being too severe - any tips?

Cheers

Gilbert

Hallo Gents,

As promised, I have finally got round to taking some snaps of the tin and its contents. Apologies for the ropey photos, I had only just got my head round photgraphing German stuff and the Brit medals require new techniques!

First up, the tin itself:

The reverse of the tin has Sidney's inscription which at the moment doesn't come out in photos. Tony, as the Mary Tin expert could you give me some advice as how to bring up the original gilt finish, as can be seen with your super examples?

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

Finally, the cards from the tin. A Mary Xmas Greetings card, plus a blank card with monogram, an 'Honour Our Allies' souvenir card, and finally a 1915 souvenir card. This is most interesting to me as it shows a small scene (including a cannon at the far left?) and a message from Sidney - "from Sidney to Mother" - a man of few words ! smile.gif

Cheers

Gilbert

Gilbert, that's a very nice lot there, a shame that 2 of the medals are damaged but at least you have them.

I'd love to have a dirty untouched tin like that. I haven't cleaned mine, they came that way but, the other week I found out that soot from a diesel exhaust pipe brings brass up as new and didn't appear to scratch it. Other than that, good old Brasso will do but use it sparingly.

I was back in London last week and took the opportunity to pop along to Beltring last Thursday where I bought myself a lovely Princess Mary tin with a full pack of cigarettes (open sad.gif ), tobacco and card with envelope. I also bought loads more but none of it has anything to do with this thread.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Thanks Tony,

Yes, I bought the lot for 150 quid. I think I did OK given the way prices are going, but what interested me was the fact it is a family group, and that it's genuinely the first time onto the market for this lot. Finding the personal insrciption from Sidney was also a buzz.

I got some more info from the seller - apparently both the brothers moved to Wales after the Great War and married girls there. He is going to try and put me in touch with the family round that way so I may find out some more.

The tin needs a bit of TLC as verdigris has set in - I will do some gentle restoration using a toothbrush to stop things getting worse, and also do some more research on the medals.

All the Best

Gilbert

PS - How was Beltring - I have never been, though I used to pop into a medals fair not far from there.

I had a great time at Beltring only there weren't enough British Great War items in my price range, too many dodgy German items (if I can spot them then they must be dodgy) and some real good Home Front gear.

A day return was ?16.90 (leaving in the rush hour), well worth the visit I thought and only 45 minutes from Waterloo East.

Tony