News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxe Coburg Gotha Dated Sword bars

I have wondered for a while how there could be a sword bar for the Saxe Coburg Gotha Merit medals which has the date "1914". The dated sword bar was re-instituted until May 22, 1915. Did the government go back and issue a 1914 bar? And if they did I would assume there were very few of these issued. This picture is one which was recently on Ebay.

Guest Rick Research

Actually, these awards were being MADE as early as September 1914.

There is never any indication on the Medal Rolls as to which DATE "mit Schwertern" was being awarded, but given delays and the usual bulk processing when specific units had little clusters that obviously had been "in process" were finally authorized, it wouldn't surprise me if the previous year's date awards carried over into the next year's February or March bestowals.

That IS specified on the Order awards "mit Jahrzahlen" and seems to follow about that time lag.

But since the MEDAL rolls never say, there is no way to estimate precise bar types. That must have been buried in the Vorschlage paperwork.

I have wondered for a while how there could be a sword bar for the Saxe Coburg Gotha Merit medals which has the date "1914". The dated sword bar was re-instituted until May 22, 1915. Did the government go back and issue a 1914 bar? And if they did I would assume there were very few of these issued. This picture is one which was recently on Ebay.

Hallo joemiller, :D

page 355 of Orden & Ehrenzeichen 1800 - 1945 by J?rg Nimmergut (2005/2006) shows a 1914 bar (2538) similar to the one you show in your picture.

page 353 S?chsische Herzogt?mer ab 1826 section, page 353 is written: 2538 wie vor, mit Schwerterspange >>1914<< f?r Kriegsvedienst, ab 1915. Sv/Sv.

As before, but with Sword spange 1914 for War service from 1915, Sv/Sv = Silver Gilt, then goes on to list the dates "1914/5", "1914/6", "1914/7", "1914/8",

and finaly a "1918" Sword Spange.

Kevin.