News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need information about these two

2) Corps of Commissionnaires??

I don't think so.

The first badge strongly suggests one of the orders associated with Freemasonry to me: the Sphinx is common to several of the offshoot service groups who have adopted "Eastern" and "Oriental" names here in North America.

I'm wondering whether the second one is from the "Legion of Frontiersmen", a rather odd group formed in 1904 and made up of (rabid) British Imperialists in the UK and many of the colonies/dominions. They performed some very poorly documented services in both World Wars as "scouts" and "guides" and have chapters in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and so on. If not them then probably some other veterans or old comrades group. Too gaudy for military issue, I think, at least for we boring Anglo-Saxon types!

My two cents worth,

Peter

Commissionaires' medal: see Eugene's site.

http://www.medalsofwar.com/longservice_html/corcom.html

See also here for the Sphinx medal:

http://www.medal-medaille.com/product_info...?products_id=59

but to REALLY get an eyeful do a quick google search on "interallied medal sphinx" and see what pops up- a really interesting look at the murky and dirty world of Canadian faux medals, Polish 'exiles" awards and wannabes. :speechless1:

Edited by Ulsterman

I recently got these two pretty medals. I believe both to be British, but do not have much information about them. Please help!

Thanks,

Lukasz

1) Sphinx medal

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-2066-1170672647.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-2066-1170672670.jpg

Hello Lukasz,

This medal also was given in Belgium. Attached photo was taken on 11/11/1983.

with kind regards,

Jef

Fantastic information, thank you! I was unable to find any information about the medals, particularly about the Sphinx medal.

Where can I find information about other medals of the Corps of Commissionnaires?

Lukasz

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Fantastic information, thank you! I was unable to find any information about the medals, particularly about the Sphinx medal.

Where can I find information about other medals of the Corps of Commissionnaires?

Lukasz

I need to redem myself here, for my uninformed guess about thte first medal! So sorry! :(

Below is a little info. on the Corps of Comissionaires (Canada), which turned 80 in 2005. My google searches don't turn up much on anything but the Cdn. Corps, so I'm noty even sure whether the British organization is still there / still the same.

Our Commissionaires are all veterans, so wear whatever medals they earned while in the various forces. It used to be quite common, for example, to see WWII vets, many of them Indian (Sikhs in particular) wearing their British and Indian medals on their uniforms. These days it seems to be mostly Canadian born vets with a selection of UN peacekeeping awards. Presumably there is still a Commissionaire's long service award of some sort but I haven't found it yet. If/when I do I'll post again.

Peter

Captain Edward Walter, a retired officer of the Crimean War, founded The Corps of Commissionaires in England in 1859 to help veterans make the difficult transition back to civilian life and employment.

In an effort to find jobs for these veterans, he convinced friends and acquaintances that the exemplary discipline, loyalty and dedication to service that veterans possessed could be put to excellent use in business. He succeeded in finding jobs for seven veterans and thereby launched the Corps of Commissionaires.

While Canada's Governor General proposed a Corps be formed in Canada after World War I, it wasn't until 1925, that Commissionaires was established with the opening of offices in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

By 1950, with the opening of the St. John's Newfoundland Division, Commissionaires was offering services from sea to sea.

And, by 1982, Commissionaires exceeded 10,000 employees, virtually doubling the strength of its British parent.

Today, Commissionaires employs over 18,000 employees with offices operating in all ten provinces and three territories.

In the early days of our organization, we primarily offered security services. However, with the advent of modern technology and more specialized, highly skilled staff, we are now offering a much broader range of services to more clients across Canada.

Commissionaires Canada is not an agency of the federal or provincial governments. We are a private, self-supporting, not-for-profit organization, continuing a proud tradition that started more than a century and a half ago. By operating in this manner, we are able to fulfill our original mandate of providing fair and meaningful work to ex-military personnel while providing our clients with quality service at competitive rates.

Apparently the long service medals for the Corps come in 12, 15, 25 and 40 year grades. Haven't found a good shot of one yet but below is the authorization for wear. BTW, the British Corps still exists, also as a security company.

Peter

Order Authorizing The Canadian Corps of Commissionaires to Wear the Medal of Commissionaire Long Service Medal

SI/98-38

Registration 18 March, 1998

OTHER THAN STATUTORY AUTHORITY

Order Authorizing The Canadian Corps of Commissionaires to Wear the Medal of Commissionaire Long Service Medal

P.C. 1998-301 26 February, 1998

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, hereby

(a) authorizes members of The Canadian Corps of Commissionaires who have received the Commissionaire Long Service Medal in recognition of twelve years of exemplary service with that organization, to wear the Medal and any Bars awarded subsequently, in conjunction with other official awards; and

(b) directs that this Medal follow the Service Medal of The Most Venerable Order of St. John of Jerusalem in the order of precedence in the Canadian Honours System.

• 1 year later...

I have 2 versions of the second medal (16 pointed star with Union Flag enamel centre), one in black and one in silver (which appears to have some sort of hallmark and is engraved with my grandads name). I know my grandad served with the 2nd London Regiment in WWI and with the home guard in WWII but can find no clues whatsoever as to what they represent. And compared to his WWI service medal (and one from Ypres which may or may not be his), yes, they do look a tad ornate, don't they!

• 4 weeks later...

The 2nd photo is of The Corps 1st Class LS&GC. They come in 3 classes in the UK and are still awarded today.

The Canadian Medal bears no resemblance to the UK one and I believe that they use Clasps to signify further service.

Below is a small write up I did a long time ago.

The Corps of Commissionaires was formed in 1859 by Captain Edward Walter, who established the organisation to provide gainful employment for those servicemen returning from the Crimean War. Captain Walter was of the view that ex-servicemen were being shabbily treated by the government of the day and recognising that these people had much still to offer, provided them with an opportunity to earn a wage and make a useful contribution to society. In 1901, His Majesty King Edward VII consented to head The Corps list of governors in the office of Chief Life Governor, an honour the reigning monarch has continued ever since.

Even today the Corps still draws the majority of its staff from ex-servicemen.

3rd Class Award

This is awarded for 10 years exemplary service. It comprises the Corps Crest, which is an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle to demonstrate that the Corps drew men from the Navy, Artillery, Cavalry and Infantry. This award is worn on the right sleeve almost midway between elbow and shoulder. To receive this award the recipient must have savings of ?30.

2nd Class Award

This is awarded for 15 years exemplary service. A Black coloured metal 16 point star bearing a central medallion with the Union Jack in the centre surrounded by the Latin Mottoes: 'VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA' (by valour and industry) and 'LABOR VINCIT OMNIA' (work conquers all). Fitted with a plain ring for suspension from the ribbon, which bears the Corps Crest of an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle. The Crest is also a Black coloured metal. The ribbon consists of a broad red central stripe flanked by a narrow white and blue stripe. To receive this award the recipient must have savings of ?60.

1st Class Award

This is awarded for 20 years exemplary service. A Silver coloured metal 16 point star bearing a central medallion with the Union Jack in the centre surrounded by the Latin Mottoes: 'VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA' (by valour and industry) and 'LABOR VINCIT OMNIA' (work conquers all). Fitted with a plain ring for suspension from the ribbon, which bears the Corps Crest of an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle. The Crest is also a Silver coloured metal. The ribbon consists of a broad red central stripe flanked by a narrow white and blue stripe. To receive this award the recipient must have savings of ?100.

• 1 year later...

RE: The commissionaires Medals.

The ones pictured here are British LSM's. All the Commwealth countries had their own distictive design and Canada had 2 [one being the British Columbia CC and the rest of the country]. However, the Canadian one had the same ribbon as the British LSM. I am attaching pic's of both the Canadian medals. But as a point of interest the Canadian one comes in a variety of metals during different periods and originally it was a presentation medallion not to be worn. The current medal is used throughout Canada including BC when they amalgamated with the rest of the country. Hope this has been of some use. p.s bars were awards for each 5 additional years of service on both the corps' medals.

looks like i will have to send 3 replies as my pic sizes are to big for one. i will paste tham all in my album as well.

uote name='GraemeR' date='Mar 21 2008, 02:42 ' post='250466']

The 2nd photo is of The Corps 1st Class LS&GC. They come in 3 classes in the UK and are still awarded today.

The Canadian Medal bears no resemblance to the UK one and I believe that they use Clasps to signify further service.

Below is a small write up I did a long time ago.

The Corps of Commissionaires was formed in 1859 by Captain Edward Walter, who established the organisation to provide gainful employment for those servicemen returning from the Crimean War. Captain Walter was of the view that ex-servicemen were being shabbily treated by the government of the day and recognising that these people had much still to offer, provided them with an opportunity to earn a wage and make a useful contribution to society. In 1901, His Majesty King Edward VII consented to head The Corps list of governors in the office of Chief Life Governor, an honour the reigning monarch has continued ever since.

Even today the Corps still draws the majority of its staff from ex-servicemen.

3rd Class Award

This is awarded for 10 years exemplary service. It comprises the Corps Crest, which is an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle to demonstrate that the Corps drew men from the Navy, Artillery, Cavalry and Infantry. This award is worn on the right sleeve almost midway between elbow and shoulder. To receive this award the recipient must have savings of ?30.

2nd Class Award

This is awarded for 15 years exemplary service. A Black coloured metal 16 point star bearing a central medallion with the Union Jack in the centre surrounded by the Latin Mottoes: 'VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA' (by valour and industry) and 'LABOR VINCIT OMNIA' (work conquers all). Fitted with a plain ring for suspension from the ribbon, which bears the Corps Crest of an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle. The Crest is also a Black coloured metal. The ribbon consists of a broad red central stripe flanked by a narrow white and blue stripe. To receive this award the recipient must have savings of ?60.

1st Class Award

This is awarded for 20 years exemplary service. A Silver coloured metal 16 point star bearing a central medallion with the Union Jack in the centre surrounded by the Latin Mottoes: 'VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA' (by valour and industry) and 'LABOR VINCIT OMNIA' (work conquers all). Fitted with a plain ring for suspension from the ribbon, which bears the Corps Crest of an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle. The Crest is also a Silver coloured metal. The ribbon consists of a broad red central stripe flanked by a narrow white and blue stripe. To receive this award the recipient must have savings of ?100.

The first medals were for the BC Corps. I am now attaching the ones for the rest of Canada.

AS ANOTHER NOTE THE CANADIAN ONES ALSO CAME IN SEPARATE ENGLISH AND FRENCH VERSIONS UNTIL THEY DECIDED TO COMBINE THE ENGLISH AND FRENCH ON A SINGLE MEDAL.

Heres a link to another, short thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3133...+commisionaires

The Corps is still around although in a far different form than it was, it's moved on from the original kind of old soldier commissionaire standing outside the hotel that we think of.

Henry Hook of Rorkes Drift fame was, I think, a member of the Corps & certainly a hotel commissionaire, when some passing low life snatched his VC from his chest & successfully made off with it.

• 1 year later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-128453774669.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-128453781389.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-12845382445.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-128453811474.jpg

Heres a link to another, short thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/in...+commisionaires

The Corps is still around although in a far different form than it was, it's moved on from the original kind of old soldier commissionaire standing outside the hotel that we think of.

Henry Hook of Rorkes Drift fame was, I think, a member of the Corps & certainly a hotel commissionaire, when some passing low life snatched his VC from his chest & successfully made off with it.

Hi,

I have recently joined this site and i am a Corps Commissionaire, we provide a service of wide ranging tasks within the security sector and i am proud to be part of a unique corps that has a wonderful history streching back to 1859, i also collect their items and very much enjoy doing so, i am trying to obtain a brass star/kings crown cross belt badge which has the solid centre and the star with small kings crown and central enammelled centre, here are a few of my favourite pieces.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-128453774669.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-128453781389.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-12845382445.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-10187-128453811474.jpg

Hi,

I have recently joined this site and i am a Corps Commissionaire, we provide a service of wide ranging tasks within the security sector and i am proud to be part of a unique corps that has a wonderful history stretching back to 1859, i also collect their items and very much enjoy doing so, i am trying to obtain a brass star/kings crown cross belt badge which has the solid centre and the star with small kings crown and central enammelled centre, doe's anyone have these badges for sale or who knows where i could try to obtain them, here are a few of my favourite pieces.

Edited by corps