News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IRAN - Islamic Republic

Dave Danner

Not a lot out there on decorations of the Islamic Republic.

This is one I picked up several years ago, ostensibly a Military Merit Order of some sort. The tulip doesn't exactly scream "military" to Western eyes, but in Iran, the tulip is a symbol for martyrdom. Ostensibly, a tulip grew on the ground where the blood of Hussein flowed when he was killed, the seminal event in the founding of Shi'ism. However, other sources also place the symbolism of tulips growing on graves of martyrs in pre-Islamic Persian tradition. The crossed sabres do imply something more military. Given the symbolism, this may be a Martyr's Medal of some sort, perhaps for next-of-kin, rather than a more general Military Merit Order, but sources are lacking.

IR_1.jpgIR_2.jpg

The text on the back is Sura 3:169. It means "Do not think that those who are killed in the cause of God are dead; they are alive at their Lord, enjoying His sustenance."

3_169.gif

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!! Nice bar. I can not id the ribbons, but have spent some serious time the past 2 days working on this area. I even called the Iranian embassy and had a nice chat with the information officer who directed me to the president's website (which has nothing)...but in perusing about 10 years worth of the Iranian Times I came across a number of articles mentioning various cultural awards -and a Martyr's Order as awarded to the mothers of those killed in the Iraq war.

Wow!! Nice bar. I can not id the ribbons, but have spent some serious time the past 2 days working on this area. I even called the Iranian embassy and had a nice chat with the information officer who directed me to the president's website (which has nothing)...but in perusing about 10 years worth of the Iranian Times I came across a number of articles mentioning various cultural awards -and a Martyr's Order as awarded to the mothers of those killed in the Iraq war.

The Iranian Ministry of Defense website is not publicly accessible - you need a username and password - so no way of checking if there's anything there. You could e-mail them, I suppose: info@mod.ir

The President's website mentions medals in a few articles on the Farsi side, but no images, and there's nothing on the English side.

Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar, the Revolutionary Guardsman turned Defense Minister, doesn't wear decorations or ribbons in his official photo. His bio does mention a decoration which as near as I can tell is just "Third Class Decoration for Labor and Production" (نشان درجه 3 کار و توليد) or something like that. The whole sentence is دريافت نشان درجه 3 کار و توليد از دولت, or "Received the Decoration 3rd Class Work and Production from the state." Elsewhere, this decoration is referred to as نشان کار و توليد درجه سه, but that means the same thing (سه is the word for "three").

Elsewhere, I have found references to two different medals, both of which essentially translate as Medal of Honor, the Medal-e Eftekhar va Sarafarazi (مدال افتخار و سرافرازى ) and the Medal-e Ghadr-hane (مدال قدردانی). The only picture associated with the latter is the one below, of the Minister of Information being decorated by former President Khatami. Googling "مدال افتخار", by the way, gives you tons of hits for the computer game Medal of Honor. :speechless:

It is the merit medal for Management: it comes in 3 classes (or as it is officially translated, "the Medal of Merit and Management".

there is also a "research Medal"-again in 3 classes, which I presume is an academic award akin to the French award.

The highest award seems to be the Islamic Republic Order of Honour (as awarded to Chavez on 8/15/2006) and is only awarded to foreign heads of state etc after Cabinet vote and presidential approval.

and there is an Army merit medal: also in 3 classes.

Lastly, there is also a medal for service to the state also in 3 classes. I lifted some images off of Iran's television station #2 this morning and have some very clear shots of the medals awarded to Iran's nuclear scientists (interestingly, the Republic uses bows like the imperial Germans did for their female decorations).

I can not find the connection cord to upload the photos here so must wait for my better half to come home and tell me where it is. then i shall upload the medal snaps.

The awards also clearly come with nice leather patents .

Also, if you look online (try Wikipedia-the link is there) you can see the Iranian Chief of Staff giving an interview with a similar ribbon bar (more medals-no devices though) on t.v..

I have requested a log in Iranian forum password etc. but we shall see....

Edited by Ulsterman

here is a picture of the Management merit medal-as awarded to the volleyball coach (it's exactly the same as the one awarded the scientists:

also see this interesting tidbit(s) from Iran's IT company. I suspect it's not a real medal-as it resembles the ARCOM way too much-I think it's just a clever photoshop image.

Edited by Ulsterman

here is a picture of the Management merit medal-as awarded to the volleyball coach (it's exactly the same as the one awarded the scientists:

also see this interesting tidbit(s) from Iran's IT company. I suspect it's not a real medal-as it resembles the ARCOM way too much-I think it's just a clever photoshop image.

AMAZING -- US Army Commendation Medal reincarnated.

I have arranged as many ribbons as possible according to the photos of the ribbons worn by actual recipients, but some are still doubtful:

http://www.medals.lava.pl/ir/ir2.htm

I think Dave's medal can be the Medal of Bravery. The side stripes are dark green rather than black and the white edges may come out blue on some photos. I have spotted another ribbon bar on google, referring to an ebay auction. Unfortunately, the auction is over, so only the resized google image is available:

Look at the first ribbon. It is the same as in Dave's medal. As the remaining ribbons suggest a person in the active military service, it is unlikely that he could receive the medal for the next of kin.

Lukasz

lets' try to upload this photo:

Urrgh! The size is to big! Can anyone help me here?

I'll try to help: try to reduce the size of the photo. You can use any non-vector graphics software (Gimp, Paint Shop Pro, etc). You can even use the old good Microsoft Paint, which you should have on your PC with the operating system. Just open the photo in MS Paint, select Stretch/Skew in the Image menu, reduce both the width and height (to 80% or 50% - try it out) and save the photo in the JPG format. For me the maximum size of a file to upload is 110 kB (which is not much indeed), but you can have more, as you have many more posts. Important: first make a copy of your photo and experiment on it ONLY, or you will not be able to restore the original quality of the file!

Good luck!

Lukasz