News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thank you, John! This is my first silver frontspange so i do worry about it.

Well, nothing to worry about with this one. Good example. Looks like it has a first pattern pin, which is interesting, since this is a second pattern badge. If you do a search on these you will see two different styles of pins on the frontspange. A smooth one like yours and one that has a slightly raised interior with an edge. You will see what I mean if you look around a bit.

John

Edited by John Robinson

OK, I guess I need to ask if what I thought were bubbles on the reverse, common to most zinc frontspanges in silver, are in fact pits? If they are pits, then it is probably a cast reproduction, but without it in hand, you need to check.

Second, the missing letters---are they really there or not? Again, the letters should all be there and if not, it could be another indication of a cast reproduction.

I am still surprised at the pin, it is dead on for a first pattern frontspange. To me, there is absolutely no way that this pin is a reproduction, therefore, it indicates that the badge is authentic.

In any case, check it over and let us know what you see. John

Edited by John Robinson

In my humble opinion I would have to agree that this is a cast copy . I would like some more close up pictures but I do not like the details on the front or back of this clasp . It looks like poor casting pitting instead of bubbling of the silver and the zinc metal due to a reaction of the two . I do not like what looks like crude detailing around the hinge area and even the words on the back look very poor to me . There looks like alot of cast pitting on the front of the badge near the bow of the u-boat .

Joe

So, again me and Thanks for your comments and interest.

a new version has appeared in Russia, I'm close to have a molded badge the main indication for it the obviously seen dies

especially on the head's part of the boat itself ( no traces of the oxidation and finish is still there ).

There is a lot of space in the hinge-pin area as the result a pin is moving too easily

The question is, is it consequence of the pin replacement ?

Thanks again.

Alex.

Edited by Alexey Smirnov