News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Yemen

Good morning from Dubai,

An interesting image but not the Order of Marib - when I get back to Riyadh on Monday I'll post a Marib image - there are two versions - the 1964-67 Bichay manufactured award for the Sallal regime ad the 1971 or 1972 version manufactured by Skinner of London. The image you show I have seen a similar black and white version with sash but with a central lions head claiming to be Yemeni, but in the last 20 years with numerous visits to Sana'a and Aden, I have yet to be able to firmly identify this award. From the picture the only part I could argue is symbolic of the Yemen Arab Republic is the 5 pointed green star which is in the centre of the YAR flag. Do you have an image of the reverse or any provenance for this star?

Kind regards, Owain

Vasili Brjuhov(Василий Брюхов).

Before homecoming in October, 1971 major general Vasily Brjuhov has arranged solemn reception in embassy of the USSR. The president of the country Abdurahman al to Arjani has awarded to the adviser the higher YAR order "Order of Marib" - a five-pointed gold star in which centre the fantastic bird spreads wings.

And the decree of YAR president where it has been written that major general Vasily Brjuhov is awarded by "Order of Marib" "for outstanding merits on protection of revolutionary gains, struggle against monarchists in the north of the country and the big contribution to creation, development and strengthening of armed forces of republic", the chief of the Joint Staff of YAR armed forces colonel Misvari has brought in embassy of the USSR in Yemen.

Great information, as this implies / infers/ proves that there are three distinct issues of the Order of Marib - the GMIC proves its worth yet again. This is the first documentary evidence I have of the award - really excellent news. It would appear to be a very short lived award. Any idea who made it?

Great image of the reverse and it would appear to have a mark on the pin but unclear.

I would surmise that following the overthrow of Sallal in 1967 the Egyptian sponsored awards of Saba, Marib and medals of Bravery and Liberation became obslote atnd the ruling Republican Council instituted a new award of Marib to replace the previous series and thereby make a break with the Sallall (Nasser supported) regime. Once the civil war was over, the early 1970 series was possibly an attempt to have a unifying series of awards and the second type you illustrate became obsolete.

Just off to the airport........

The circular mark - too indistinct for me to recognise an image - is suggestive to me of European manufacture - not British - possibly French - is it a "swan" - the Frech export mark?

Or could it possibly of eastern European manufacture?

Owain

• 2 years later...

Ilja,

This is the PDRY Order of Nationalisation and relates to the nationalisation of the economy and agrarian reforms that took place in PDRY in early 1970 - the order was probably instituted an a later date.

Regards,

Owain

• 1 month later...

Ilja,

This is a PDRY Shooting Superiority Medal - nice condition and if I recall correctly went for over $100. I attach an image of the one I have - unfortunately no ribbon. Mine has an outer red surround - pehaps there are different grades of this medal?

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

• 4 years later...

Nick,

It is the Order of Devotion and according to my limited research - no access to any instituting laws, it is a three class civil award - 1st class gilt & purple ribbon, 2nd class silvered & yellow ribbon and 3rd class bronze with blue ribbon - but I am not 100% sure that the ribbon sequence is correct although I have an attributed 1st Class award and certificate  the ribbon is purple . It would appear that the PDRY awards system is in accordance with Law 45 of 1978 but to date I have been unable to source a copy of this law.

Kind regards,

Owain

• 1 year later...
    • 5 weeks later...