News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish orders

Bryan

In case you're wondering what the page says, in the upper right it says "Please press the pictures for detail" (e.g. "press to enlarge"), in the upper left it says "For your price and other questions:" with the e-mail address. The center says "Some examples of Ottoman orders and decorations found in our collection."

Edited by Dave Danner

Yes, Ottoman awards are nice. See: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showforum=165

Turkish medals are fewer and information is more elusive.

Ed, by "Turkish" do you mean Turkish, as in Turkish Republic? I note that in the forum, "Turkish" is generally (and erroneously) used synonymously with "Ottoman." Of course, even the Ottomans weren't averse to making that error, since ethnic Turks dominated the Empire.

I can start a thread on Turkish Republic medals with what information I have. Unfortunately, other than one ribbon bar, I don't have any Turkish decorations of my own, just Ottoman.

Ed, by "Turkish" do you mean Turkish, as in Turkish Republic? I note that in the forum, "Turkish" is generally (and erroneously) used synonymously with "Ottoman." Of course, even the Ottomans weren't averse to making that error, since ethnic Turks dominated the Empire.

I can start a thread on Turkish Republic medals with what information I have. Unfortunately, other than one ribbon bar, I don't have any Turkish decorations of my own, just Ottoman.

Yes, Dave. It is a distinction that (in shorthand) I try to make in my teaching too. The adversion to awards that the Republic represents was in interesting distinction to the Imperial practices. Although it seems that, these days, the Turks have followed other NATO chums into a massive profusion of awards.

Any information would be welcomed.

I guess we should make the same difference with "Soviets" and "Russians".

I am not sure where the Ottomans are placed is a good idea, but it is better since they started out as no more than a subset of the Germans, just because they -- trapped in the 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' box -- wound up on the losing side in The Great War.

I guess we should make the same difference with "Soviets" and "Russians".

Certainly. It would be as inaccurate to call the Georgian Stalin or the Mingrelian Beria a Russian as it would be to call the Albanian-born Ottoman viceroy of Egypt Muhammad Ali Pasha (Mehmet Ali Paşa) a Turk.