News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The remains of Napoleonic soldiers found in Vilnius, Lithuania

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Been taking a bit of time surfing today and came on this one that I thought might be of interest. Fascinating article. Just wish they had pics. Perhaps they'll end up making another documentary down the road.

http://www.vilnius.lt/new/en/vadovybe.php?...=149&id=110

Old Nappy's men certainly paid a high price for his invading Russia. :speechless1:

Dan :cheers:

Guest Darrell

Hi all,

Been taking a bit of time surfing today and came on this one that I thought might be of interest. Fascinating article. Just wish they had pics. Perhaps they'll end up making another documentary down the road.

http://www.vilnius.lt/new/en/vadovybe.php?...=149&id=110

Old Nappy's men certainly paid a high price for his invading Russia. :speechless1:

Good stuff. While I don't usually care for this part of History ... it would be very interesting to see that :jumping:

Good stuff. While I don't usually care for this part of History ... it would be very interesting to see that :jumping:

And one can only hope more such discoveries will be made over time. Mysteries will be solved and new ones created... but that's one of the beauties of history. :P

I saw a show a few years back about this subject hosted by James Woods. I've been trying to locate the name of the show but haven't had any luck. I believe it was on the Discovery Channel. It showed them working in the graves and all the medical tests that went with it.

found it

Moments in Time - Napoleon's Lost Army hosted by James Woods

barry

Edited by Bear

Guest WAR LORD

as an aside Norman Cross by Peterborough was a very large POW Camp for the French and American soldiers and sailors. There is a large berrial ground, which has been comemorated. Unfortunatly this has been destroyed by a new motorway. Peterborough museum has one of the finest colections of bone work and also straw work. The Prison quarters can still be seen. They are now private houses.

I always get confused as to which house is which - which one is the old commandants house?

I've been inside the large building which now has an art gallery n its grounds, lovely, like a multi level maze.

The current location of the memorial at Norman Cross is hardly perfect but at least it gets seen & the eagle's less likely to get nicked again than if it was in its original location.

I saw the TV programme "Moments in Time - Napoleon's Lost Army" (ora at least I assume that's what I saw a year or two ago. Very interesting.

There were even the reamains cantonieres found as I recall?

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 2 months later...

A shame the link no longer works, I wanted to read that article.

Shame as well that documentary is not available at Netflix. :(

My luck's out today it seems. :)

Found this though :)http://www.balticsworldwide.com/napoleon_graves.htm

Off to the store to buy lottery tix! :)

Hi Eric,

I looked through my Wordpad docs as I generally save interesting things like this just in case links go bad, etc. No luck. But I did a google search and here is the result... plenty of articles and info on the subject:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...G=Google+Search

Although I'm not "positive" that second set of links may be the same article as they're also from Vilnius where the original was from.

• 5 years later...

I continue to marvel at the science we can now bring to bear on these sorts of sites and remains - analysing lead isotopes to determine where the owner grew up, or identifying the disease which led to the death! I can see why forensic pathology and forensic anthropology programmes are oversubscribed at many universties and colleges. Fascinating stuff.

Edited by peter monahan