News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslavian Partisan Stars

• Replies 344
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Valter!

Yes, both stars are nice! Perhaps the flatter surface of the IKOM star makes it appear brighter. I made a comparison below, the Soviet one is actually a little darker in hand.

Enjoy!

Tim

I have a couple questions on these Partisan Stars.

An ebay seller that continually lists several of these 3rd class pieces, shows two different size serial numbers and makes a statement in the sales thread that only 10,000 of these were ever actually awarded, though more were made obviously.

Any idea where he arrived at the number 10,000 and does that number apply to just the 3rd class award or all three levels of Partisan Star awards?

Also, where do the Soviet produced stars come into play as their numbering system is different from Ikom's?

Tim :cheers:

I have a couple questions on these Partisan Stars.

An ebay seller that continually lists several of these 3rd class pieces, shows two different size serial numbers and makes a statement in the sales thread that only 10,000 of these were ever actually awarded, though more were made obviously.

Any idea where he arrived at the number 10,000 and does that number apply to just the 3rd class award or all three levels of Partisan Star awards?

Also, where do the Soviet produced stars come into play as their numbering system is different from Ikom's?

Tim :cheers:

Numbers of awarded partisan stars are:

1st class 627 from 1944-1980

2nd class 1531 from 1944-1972

3rd class 10384 from 1944-1972

these numbers were quoted in this thread and the same numbers I found in several Yugolsav publications, but without quotation of the original source. They are probably more or less accurate, as 3rd class was awarded to partisan commanders of platoons and companies, 2nd class to batallion and detachemnt comanders, and 1st class to brigade comanders and up. This award was one of the rare yugoslav awards that were not given for post-war or political merit, but only for WW2 partisan merits.

There were much more produced than awarded, and part of the initial soviet stock remained unissued, stored for possible use in another war. In 1990's in some secret storage in Bosnia was found a hoard of unissued soviet pieces - hundreds of them. Bosnia was geographically center of Yugoslavia and hence it was considered to be a last stronghold of defence, as Bosnia is also rough mountainous terrain, where forces and political leadership would retreat in the case of attack either from East or West. That's why there was a lot of military industry in Bosnia too, as well as several storages of weapons, but also awards.

In regards of numbering, there was some inconsistence, but in general, soviet pieces are below 10.000 and IKOM pieces above 10000. How exactly was this numbering planned (if planned at all), I do not know.

Valter,

Many thanks for that information! I was kind of hoping along those lines, as then the Soviet piece I have should have been one of those awarded. I still see some of the Soviet made stars for sale, starting around 17000 but, this was the only one below 9000 that I have come across to date.

Now I understand why the price differences and lessor abundance of the silver and gold awards. Makes more sense.

Many thanks again guys! :beer:

Tim

Oh, here is one still for sale; good case in point. :unsure:

Edited by Tim B

• 3 months later...

Thank you! you are right but I know a person who still got one for sale right now :cheers:. Not me though. I'll newer sell this beatues

Edited by ph3s

• 2 years later...
    • 7 months later...

Has anyone ever seen a Yugoslavian Partisan Star, any class.... with a stamped number like this one?

Faked number?

Faked star?

Or, is it actually engraved that well?

Edited by Stogieman

• 4 weeks later...

Third Class Star #48 (!!!) went off on ebay today at over $300.00. No document, no case.

Low number, or maybe a combo of low number and someone has its document/case that drove the price? I've seen it happen on relatively inexpensive medals too :)

Sometimes you have to have it :D

Yep, somebody really wanted it. And that somebody would be me :D

Sure it was costly but it's the lowest number known so I went for it. Actually, I hoped it would sell for less but as you say I had to have it ;)

I will show better pics as soon as it arrives.

Excellent, it stays within "The Family" as it were. Cased one sold last weekend and I missed the end. Only went for $102.00. Same seller had a type 2 spomenika badge with matching booklet. It went for $137.