News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Reini, in my experience, the boxes are generic. You will find anything from GAB, IAB to KM in these mottled boxes. Having said that, I see more Austrian origin badges (LDO in Wein, etc) with this style. The KM was a Souval piece.

The same holds true for the brown-mottled boxes, plain gray ones. Anything froma numbered RK GAB to a Juncker ACB....... I think the boxes were simply "stock" items and the piece was popped in and sold that way. Occassionally, the gray ones pop up with ink-stamped titles. I've seen those primarily with KM/Luftwaffe badges.

• 2 weeks later...

A Question! Gordon, Jacques.... are these cases titled at all? If so, can you please post a photo? Thanks!

Rick,

I have never seen a genuine KM box which was titled, only fakes. Every cased KM badge I have had, and that ain't many, had the standard blue box as shown here, with no exterior lid adornment whatsoever.

Well, that's what I thought, but felt it best to check...... interesting as I have on 3 occassions seen Luftwaffe badges in un-titled blue cases. All 3 had the early-war "pillowed" insert for the badge. Not the flat, flocked late-war style insert.

Ricky & Kurt,

I replied yesterday to this but due to the forum going the posts have gone 'walkabout.'

In regards to the red 'cloud' box, I don't truely adhere to this being a period manufacture generic box. They come in two colours these 'sorts' as in this thread, red and green and are at best dubious, in my opinon that is.

I don't think they are modern made boxes, perhaps they were never intended to decieve, but not TR period boxes. Maybe 1960's earlier or later ? God knows ?

True, there is a multitude of generic boxes, in all shapes and sizes......none of which are set in stone or subscribe to any form of criteria.

However, of all the examples I've encountered and own now, none react to black light. These red or green boxes do ? It is true to vouch that it possible to have a TR era piece that semi glows as such, or indeed just 'glows'; but considering the availability and frequent times these boxes are paired with fakes......which is numerous times and these boxes and plentiful in their hundreds !!! Every show in Germany, full of these boxes and full of fakes.....all the predominent fake seller have them, of awards and specifically packets and boxes (i.e Stuttgart two years running) None of the main dealers or other dealers of repute ( uuummm kind of off) touch these boxes either.

I really do have cause to deliberate their authenticity. I can't at this moment in time base a thing on a premise, but I'd be cautious of them if honest.

I'm not saying whats right or wrong.......I'm just throwing in my opinion, it has holes, which I'm aware of so perhaps in the next few months another item for testing at the lab.

Kr

Marcus

Anyway here's a couple of boxed items......Ricky you'll recognise the Aux, this cheeky little monkey came from you !! This pic dosen't do it justice.

• 8 months later...

Allow me to add my two KM Ehrentafel Spange award cases for viewing and comment. I would like to know which company manufactured these? The hinges (magnetic), stencilling on the top outside covers, paper lining on the bottom interior and overall dimensions vary.

Thanks,

John

And here is an award case fitted for a U-Boot badge. I am seeking comment upon the authenticity of this one, please. The "pillowing" in the inside upper cover does not glow, but the white cloth framing around the bottom between the rim of the case and the fitted portion (which I cannot remove) does glow. The hinge is non-magnetic; the push button clasp hardware is magnetic.

Thanks,

John

Thanks, Rick and as you indicate, it does make an excellent storage and showplace for my Schwerin that resides in it.

Regarding my question on the maker(s) of KM Ehrentafel clasp award cases, in his excellent book, "The Iron Cross of 1939", Gordon Williamson in his section dealing with the army clasp describes the solid die-struck swastika one as being a pattern manufactured by Klein in Hanau, and shows a picture of the white flocked, removable base plate of the award case which has Klein maker-marks stamped into the white flocking, and comments upon that.

Also shown in the section dealing with KM clasps is a typical Klein manufactured clasp, as well as an award case. However, there is no reference as to whether or not the pictured case was also produced by the same firm. Certainly, it does not bear the Klein maker-markings as shown for the army clasp. No other reference is made regarding who manufactured the KM clasp award cases, which I assume might have also been produced by the Klein/Hanau firm.

I understand that Marcus has one maker-marked by Deschler.

Perhaps Gordon or other knowledgeable members might provide some comment on the known manufacturers of KM Ehrentafel award cases, please?

Edited by John Burchell