News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bhutan

Antonio Prieto

Interesting that, while they make them, they don't seem to know what they are for!

Nice and mysterious images, thanks.

No one, not even the Bhutan embassy in New Delhi, seems to know much.

Will give what I know.

This will go FAR beyond what I have up at http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/medals/bhutan.html

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Royal Order

The Royal Order of Bhutan: founded by King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk in 1966. Awarded in three classes and one medal. This may be in some way related to the mysterious "Drak Jong Thusay", known to have been created by King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk in 1939 and to have been presented (rather freely?) at the celebration of King Jigme Singye Wangchuk?s Silver Jubilee in June 1999.

Ribbon: White center, flanked by red which fades outward toward the edges to orange and finally into yellow at the edges.

Outline:

• first class ? sash and sash badge (worn over ??? shoulder)
    • second class ? neck badge (shown)
    • third class ? breast badge
    • medal ? ?service ribbon??

Assumption of Power Medal

Issued in November 1909 to commemorate the assumption of power of Druk Gyalpo Ugyen Wangchuck two years earlier. (Or was it issued in 1907?) It seems to have been awarded on and off until his death in 1926 as a kind of good service medal.

Established: 1909. Believed to have been manufactured by Benson (London, England).

Obverse: Circular medal, the facing bust of Druk Gyalpo Ugyen Wangchuck, surrounded by a Tibetan legend. Suspended by a loop ornamemented with a demon (?).

Reverse: A depiction of a Bhutanese building, presumably a palace (?).

Outline:

• Gold (7 awarded)
    • Silver (120 awarded) - shown
    • Bronze (2 awarded)

Medal for the Coronation of Druk Gyalpo Jigme Singye Wangchuk

Druk Gyalpo [King] Jigme Singye Wangchuk (b. 1955, r. 21 July 1972 --, crowned only in 1974).

The medal is not uncommon, but not often seen with suspension bar and ribbon. It is believed to have been issued in gold as well.

While this seems the same as what Antonio shows as the first medal in http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15085&st=3 above, what I show is the real thing.

And the bronze pinback badge for the same occasion.

Gentlemen,

I notice that Saujanya Books offers a book by Karma Ura, titled Deieties, Archers and Planners in the Era of Decentralisation, and in the contents it quotes Chapter 6: Medalic Decorations.

Now, this appears to me very intriguing. Does anyone knows the book? It was published in Thimpu in 2004, and has ISBN 99936-663-0-1.

Dragomir

Gentlemen,

I notice that Saujanya Books offers a book by Karma Ura, titled Deieties, Archers and Planners in the Era of Decentralisation, and in the contents it quotes Chapter 6: Medalic Decorations.

Now, this appears to me very intriguing. Does anyone knows the book? It was published in Thimpu in 2004, and has ISBN 99936-663-0-1.

Dragomir

Very VERY interesting. Let me look.

• 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Here is some further information on Bhutanese awards that I have been able to gather so far. Not a lot, but something to start with anyway. The awards are listed according to precedence as seen from the post nominals used by senior Bhutanese military officers.

The Royal Order of Bhutan: founded by King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk in 1966. Awarded in three classes and one medal.

Druk Wangyel (Great Victory of the Thunder Dragon): instituted by King Jigme Singye Wangchuck in 1985 as the country?s highest national award (postnominal=DWG). There is mention of this award to Rajiv Gandhi but I have seen a picture of him receiving the Royal Order of Bhutan from the 4th King, so it is quite possible that this may be the same as the above??

Druk Yuelgyel (Victory of the Thunder Dragon): described as 'the highest military medal of honour' and awarded for outstanding acts of dedication, loyalty and commitment by an individual or units of the Royal Bhutan Army, Royal Bodyguard, National Militia, Royal Bhutan Police, and Forest Guards (postnominal=DYG).

Druk Thuksey (Son of the Heart of the Thunder Dragon): instituted by King Jigme Singye Wangchuck on 2nd June 1999 as the highest individual civilian decoration and awarded for outstanding services to ?Tsa-Wa-Sum?, the king, country and the people.

Drakpoi Wangyel: medal of honour awarded to members of the Royal Bhutan Army and the Royal Bhutan Police (post nominal=DW).

Drakpoi Thuksey: a meritorious service medal awarded to members of the Royal Bhutan Army, Royal Bodyguard, National Militia, Royal Bhutan Police, and Forest Guards and the uniformed civilian services to reward services to maintaining national security (post nominal=DT).

Drakpoi Khorlo: a meritorious service medal awarded to members of the Royal Bhutan Police and to reward services to maintaining law and order (post nominal=DK).

Cheers

James

One more medal to report. This one apparently ranks after the Drakpoi Khorlo:

Druk Zhung Thuksey: instituted sometime before 1969 as a meritorious service medal and awarded for both military and civil services to the state (post nominal=DZK).

• 4 months later...

For a good overview please see -

http://www.royalark.net/Bhutan/bhutan5.htm

A new medal has been instituted to commemorate the new King's Coronation this month and a badge to commemorate the centenary of the monarchy in 2007 (but celebrated in 2008).

My previous comments about Rajiv Gandhi and the Royal Order of Bhutan were incorrect. He received the order during a visit to Bhutan. The Druk Wangyel Award as a posthumous honour.

Cheers,

James

• 1 month later...