News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bhutan

Antonio Prieto

An interesting article with a nice, although small pic of the Druk Thuksey medal. I think it hasn't been shown although it has been mentioned!

JC

article

Thanks for the link, but I am not very certain what the picture is actually of.

If one looks at the article, the picture is labelled as "Druk Thuksey". However, look at the URL for the actual picture shown and it says "drukwangyel". Indeed, the picture is placed next to a paragraph about awards of the Druk Wangyel.

However, the ribbon and design are almost identical to what is usually called the Royal Order of Bhutan. Give or take the usual design modifications for a lower class of the order.

Of course, it is always possible that "Druk Wangyel" (which translates as 'Great Victory of the Thunder Dragon') is the name in Bhutanese for what is called the "Royal Order of Bhutan" in English.

The final possibility is that both "Druk Wangyel" (which translates as Great Victory of the Thunder Dragon)and "Druk Thuksey" (which translates as 'Son of the Heart of the Thunder Dragon') are different classes of the same decoration, which Westerners have come to call "The Royal Order of Bhutan".

As a general observation I have noticed that members of OMSA frequently label any order that happens to come from a foreign kingdom and whose name they do not know as "the Royal Order of (name of country)".

Cheers,

James

I have done a little bit of googling and found these two articles with some pictures. They are small, so not very helpful, though one can establish the following.

http://www.bbs.com.bt/HM%20grants%20Druk%2...%20Wangyel.html

The above features several recipients of the Druk Thuksey. From this we can conclude that the picture posted earlier by fjcp is in fact the Druk Thuksey.

http://www.bbs.com.bt/His%20Majesty%20awar...f%20Bhutan.html

The above features a picture of the two recipients of the Druk Wangyel. The design of the insignia is quite different from the Druk Thuksey, so we can conclude that they are indeed separate awards. The Druk Wangyel insignia seems to consist of a badge worn from an orange neck ribbon with gold edges with, apparently, a star worn on the breast but unusually suspended from a medal ribbon of the same colour, orange with gold edges. I seem to remember that there was some old Turkish Ottoman order that was worn in a similar fashion.

Cheers,

James

• 1 month later...

Well, it finally came in...

I managed to find a first type, 9 year long service medal!

Thanks to James for the proper identification of this medal!

Anyway some good pictures that show a lot more detail than in the ones we had...

This has a replacement ribbon for sure, but the medal shows nice signs of age.

Enjoy!

JC

ps. This is the same medal posted in the other thread mentioned by Ed.

Edited by fjcp

• 4 weeks later...

A new order seems to have been founded in Bhutan in about November 2008 called the Order of the Druk Gyalpo meaning the "Order of the King" or the "King's Order".

Copyright? BBS

http://www.bbs.com.bt/His%20Majesty%20conf...k%20Gyalpo.html

Copyright? Bhutan2008

Despite the story line it looks quite obvious that the Queen-Grandmother has received a higher class of the order compared to that awarded to His Holiness Je Thrizur Tenzin Dendup. The neck badge of the latter seems to be about half the size of that conferred on the former, and comes without the breast badge.

My guess is that the order has three classes, much the same as the Druk Wangyel. The First Class insignia perhaps consisting of a neck badge and breast star worn from a short medal ribbon on the left chest. Second Class consisting of a neck badge only, smaller in size to the first class and worn from a narrower neck ribbon. Third Class consisting of a chest badge worn from a medal ribbon.

The colour of the ribbon seems to be gold moire with narrow edge stripes of white then red (or russet).

Cheers,

James.

• 5 years later...

Just picked up this little beauty. I've been assured the ribbon is original but who knows...Paid way too much for the thing, but how often have you seen one of these?

It's a 25th anniversary enthronement medal from 1999 in silver and it's nice and heavy. This was claimed to be (by the seller) the original medal awarded to people actually taking part in the celebrations. This same medal later became a merit medal in two classes with either a silver or golden central medallion and a different ribbon. See here for more http://www.royalark.net/Bhutan/bhutan5.htm

enjoy

Jan

I've also been offered this medal, which according to the website I posted above,should be made from Silver. The other medal I have of the same vintage is made from silver but this one clearly is in bronze or brass.

Doesnt mean it isn't real though, but I just don't know. I've posted a picture of the newer version of the same medal just for comparison. Check the website in my previous post for more info on this medal too.

Any advice before I commit would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

Just picked up this little beauty. I've been assured the ribbon is original but who knows...Paid way too much for the thing, but how often have you seen one of these?

It's a 25th anniversary enthronement medal from 1999 in silver and it's nice and heavy. This was claimed to be (by the seller) the original medal awarded to people actually taking part in the celebrations. This same medal later became a merit medal in two classes with either a silver or golden central medallion and a different ribbon. See here for more http://www.royalark.net/Bhutan/bhutan5.htm

enjoy

Jan

Hello Jan, it seems from first picture that the patina of the medal doesn't match the patina of the suspension. Could you check. The Medal for 25th Jubilee of Reign is said to be worn from a bicolor ribbon saffroon-orange/red with 2 equal width vertical stripe. I visited the singaporean manufacturer in 2005 and they said me that the Silver Jubilee Medal was not going to be produce (opposite to Service & Meritorious Service Medal which were minted). But maybe a small serie of the 25th Jubilee was produced....Actually the ribbon of your medal seems to be the one of the One Hundred Year of the Monarchy, made by Royal Insignia in Singapore. Royal Insignia broke up with ELM somewhen in the years 2006/2008.

I bought some medal from that seller in Bhutan, I will post them shortly next week.

Emmanuel

• 4 years later...

THE ROYAL BHUTAN POLICE ACT, 1980
    38. Medals and certificates The following Medals are hereby for meritorious service instituted for meritorious services performed by members of the Royal Bhutan Police force:
    (a) Any Police personnel, after completion of 15 years of dedicated and satisfactory service and who does not have adverse records in the Annual Confidential Reports for the past 5 years, may be awarded a medal which shall be worn on the left chest, a ribbon of 1 1/2"
    length and 1/2" breadth with three equal colours of white, yellow and red. The colours shall be separated by a black thread lining. The recipient of such medals shall be entitled to an allowance of Nu. 15/- per month for as long as he remains in service.

(b) Any Police personnel who has devoted 21 years of meritorious service with a good service record shall be entitled to wear a ribbon symbolizing the colours of the Police Flag which shall have the same measurement as above. The recipient shall be entitled to a monthly allowance of Nu. 25/- for as long as he remains in service.
    (c) Any Police personnel who endangers and risks his own life while on duty in order to save the life and property of others shall be awarded a medal with a ribbon symbolizing the National Flag of Bhutan which shall have the same measurement as above. The
    recipient of such a gallantry award shall be entitled to an allowance of Nu. 55/- per month while he remains in service.
    (d) The Chief of Police shall award certificate of merit in appreciation of good service performed during the preceding year.
    The annual recommendations for police medals and certificates shall reach the Royal Bhutan Police Headquarters by the 10th of August every year and the same shall be awarded on Police Day on the 1st of September every year.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

It's been a while but here is a little something I've been looking for for a long time. Surprisingly good quality and most of all the size was a surprise. 4.5cm x 3.5cm. Red star just to compare.

The pin is long gone but I'm thrilled with it all the same.

Jan

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3841 (1).JPG

Edited by fjcp

• 1 year later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Here is the Order of Druk Gyalpo from Bhutan.

It's the  highest Order of Bhutan. It was created by King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck on 7 November 2008.

Made from 3 different parts. Manufactured by WORTH 

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo 2nd Type breast star obverse.jpg

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo 2nd Type breast star obverse close up.jpg

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo 2nd Type breast star close up center reverse (diameter of reverse center 28 millimeters).jpg

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo 2nd Type breast star side.jpg

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Despite being a relatively recent Order. 

It already exist variation in manufacturing.

Or this one, was a piece made by the manufacturer for the tender process.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo 1st Type breast star.jpg

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo Type 1 & Type 2 breast star obverse.jpg

Bhutan Druk Gyalpo Type 1 & Type 2 breast star reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

That same day on 7 November 2008, King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck, intituted a 2nd Order : Druk Yugyel as 2nd highest ranking Order of the Kingdom of Bhutan.

This is a single class Order, as sash with sash badge, and breast star. The sash color is sun yellow.

The manufacturer is WORTH.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Druk Yugyel breast star.jpg

Still on 7 November 2008, King of Bhutan Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck instituted a 3rd award, as 3rd highest ranking award of the Kingdom of Bhutan, the Druk Wangyel.

This Order comes as a single class Order, a sash badge, a sash & a breast star. The sash is plain dark orange color.

A Collar of this Order has ounce surfaced in a european auction house catalogue, but there is no actual evidence that this Collar was nothing more than a tender piece.

The manufacturer is WORTH.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Druk Wangyel sash badge.jpg

Bhutan Druk Wangyel breast star.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen, 

Still on 7 November 2008, King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk instituted the Druk Khorloo ( Wheel of Thunder ). It's the 5th highest award of Bhutan (not the 4th, it's the 5th !!!).

It comes as a single class neck badge. It is silver-gilt & enamel, and was made by Royal Insignia of Singapore.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Druk Khorlo obverse.jpg

Bhutan Druk Khorlo obverse close up.jpg

Bhutan Druk Khorlo reverse.jpg

Bhutan Druk Khorlo Case of Issue.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Still in 2008, King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk, instituted the National Order of Merit as the lowest award to Druk Khorlo.

The National Order of Merit comes in 3 Classes ( Gold, Silver & Bronze ).

On www.royalark.net you can see a gold version.

To understand better this award, on 17 December 2016, the Nuns Foundation of Bhutan was awarded the National Order of Merit Gold.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan National Order of Merit 2nd Class.jpg

Bhutan National Order of Merit 2nd Class Case of Issue.jpg

Bhutan National Order of Merit in Gold to Nuns Fundation Award Doc Plaque.jpg

Edited by heusy68

With all these changes, we now, not know if the Royal Family Order of Bhutan, instituted in 1966 by King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk (the grand father of the current King) in 3 Classes is still awarded, or if it now obsolete.

Here a 1st Class set, made by Spink.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Royal Order of Bhutan 1st Class breast star obverse-2.jpg

Bhutan Royal Order of Bhutan Grand Cross breast star reverse.jpg

Bhutan Royal Order of Bhuthan cased set.jpg

Bhutan Royal Order of Bhutan case of issue 1st Class.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the 2nd Class of the Royal Family Order of Bhutan,

It came from a London auction in May 2002, made by Spink.

I cannot found the photo of the case, but believe me, it inscribed on the lid : Royal Family Order of Bhutan 2nd Class.

Ed borrowed the photo, long long time ago.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Royal Order of Bhutan 2nd class.jpg