News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals of Papua New Guinea

Lukasz Gaszewski

• 1 year later...

I am definitely straying into unknown waters, but in my other collecting 'verse, I collect European colonial coins from around the world. In my travels there, I came across the name of a book about the numismatica as well as medals and decorations of Papua New Guinea:

From Cowrie to Kina : the coinages, currencies, badges, medals, awards and decorations of Papua New Guinea

by William J Mira

Publisher: Sydney Spink 1986

ISBN: 095932030X 9780959320305

OCLC: 242670226

I do not have the book myself and have not seen a copy for sale, but I offer the bibliographic information anyway that may help people interested in them.

Order of Valour

This Order consists of one level, the Cross of Valour (CV) awarded for only the most selfless acts of bravery in times of extreme personal danger. This bears resemblance to its counterparts in the Canadian and Australian honours systems. Prior to this award, citizens of Papua New Guinea would have received the George Cross for their actions.

Since Papua New Guinea still recognises the British Honours System it is possible that citizens will still receive the GC, however this is considered unlikely as the Cross of Valour performs the same function. For acts of valour in the face of the enemy during wartime, citizens of PNG are still entitled to the Victoria Cross.

In ranking order, the Cross of Valour precedes Grand Companion of the Logohu.

Order of Logohu (Logohu = Bird of Paradise)

Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu (GCL)

Awarded to those citizens of Papua New Guinea and others for service, achievement, and merit in the highest degree, sustained over a period of twenty years. The award may be given to no more than fifty living persons. This class appears to carry with it the title of "Grand Chief". Examples of this include the obituary of The Rt Revd David Hand, and the official website of Sir Michael Somare who, since his investiture as GCL has used the title "Grand Chief" in place of "Sir", preferring to be known as The Right Honourable Grand Chief M. T. Somare, GCL, GCMG, CH, CF, KstJ. According to the announcement of former United States President Bill Clinton's appointment as the GCL the highest rank carries the honorary title "Chief".

Officer of Logohu (OL) is awarded for distinguished service to Papua New Guinea, or to a local community, sustained over a period of at least ten years.

Member of Logohu (ML) is awarded for commendable service to a particular area of endeavour, to Papua New Guinea, or to a local community, sustained over a period of at least seven years.

National Logohu Medal (LM) is awarded for exemplary service in a profession, career, or industry group, or to the general community, over a period of at least five years.

Order of the Star of Melanesia

This Order also consists of one level, the Companion of the Star of Melanesia (CSM).

It is awarded for distinguished service of a high degree to Papua New Guinea and Melanesia, sustained over a period of fifteen years.

In ranking order, Companion of the Star of Melanesia follows Grand Companion of the Logohu.

Other medals

Cross of Medical Service Medal (CMS)

Distinguished Military Service Medal (DMS)

Distinguished Police Service Medal (DPS)

Distinguished Correctional Service Medal (DCS)

Emergency Service Medal (ESM)

Public Service Medal (PSM)

Meritorious Community Service Medal (MCS)

Commendation Medal for Valuable Service (CMM)

Edited by Taz

Order of Logohu (Logohu = Bird of Paradise)

Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu (GCL)

Awarded to those citizens of Papua New Guinea and others for service, achievement, and merit in the highest degree, sustained over a period of twenty years. The award may be given to no more than fifty living persons. This class appears to carry with it the title of "Grand Chief". Examples of this include the obituary of The Rt Revd David Hand, and the official website of Sir Michael Somare who, since his investiture as GCL has used the title "Grand Chief" in place of "Sir", preferring to be known as The Right Honourable Grand Chief M. T. Somare, GCL, GCMG, CH, CF, KstJ.

Is that actually true or is it another urban myth generated by the dreaded "wikipedia"?

As far as I can tell, the PM's style is "Grand Chief Rt Hon Sir Michael Somare, GCL, GCMG, CH, CF, KStJ".

The Governor-General is similarly styled "H.E. Grand Chief Sir Paulias Matane, GCL, GCMG, OBE, KStJ" At least that was how he was officially styled at the King of Tonga's coronation in 2008.

Indeed, I would be quite surprised to see otherwise, since Somare took such great pains NOT to follow the Australian methods in all this and kick dust in the face of the Brits. British awards have been retained for the Queen's Birthday awards, the Princess Royal was invited to preside at the first new indigeneous awards ceremony, she and her husband were appointed to two of the orders, and later the Prince of Wales and Duke of Edinburgh also received appointments in the senior grade.

Cheers,

James

Medal for the Tenth Anniversary of Independence, 1985

Instituted in 1985 to mark the 10th anniversary of independence and awarded to prominent civilians and members of the defence and emergency forces who had made a significant contribution to the country since independence. Recipients included Australians and New Zealanders.

Images CO M-M .com

• 7 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlmen

In 1965 Papua New Guinea (still under australian domination) instituted the Royal Papua and New Guinea Constabulary Police Valour Medal.

This medal was awarded 11 times until 1975.But unattributed specimen exist (actually 50 medals were minted by Amor in Sydney).

The ribbon is 5 equal vertical stripes green/red/blue/red/green

Emmanuel

Here we have Papua & New Guinea Corrective Institution Valour Medal.

It exist also a Papua & New Guinea Corrective Institution Meritorious Service Medal.

This medal was minted 50 by Amor Sydney.

Anyone who may have these medals for sale,I would be deeply interested.

Ribbon is green/red/blue/red/green.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here we have Fire Brigade Valour Medal.

This medal was minted at 50 by Amor of Sydney and we know that 3 medals were awarded,all of them for the same action in 1970.

Ribbon is gold/red/gold

Anyone who has this medal and would agree to sell it,I will be deeply interested.

I have to credit the book : "From Cowrie to Kina" by Dr William J.D.Mira in 1982 for all the 3 black & white picture I have posted here.

It's a very valuable book on history of coins & medals in Papua & New Guinea published by Spink Austrlia (very hard to get in Europe).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here are more funny and amazing medals.

The PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA ELECTRICITY COMMISSION MEDAL for 10 Years Service in bronze & for 20 Years Service in silver (silvered metal).

50 Medals for 10 Years,50 Medals for 20 Years (25 awarded) & 20 Medals for 30 Years have been minted (only 2 awarded).

This medal existed before 1973,but in 1973 with the achievement of internal self government the text changed for : PAPUA NEW GUINEA ELECTRICITY COMMISSION without the word "AND".

We know that 150 Medals for 10 Years of the second type were minted & 20 Medals for 20 Years (9 awarded).

These medals were obsolete in 1981.

Emmanuel

• 4 years later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 4 months later...

Hi,

My father along with another Sub Inspector were the first European to be awarded this medal, I have them in perfect condition with me.

Hello Gentlmen

In 1965 Papua New Guinea (still under australian domination) instituted the Royal Papua and New Guinea Constabulary Police Valour Medal.

This medal was awarded 11 times until 1975.But unattributed specimen exist (actually 50 medals were minted by Amor in Sydney).

The ribbon is 5 equal vertical stripes green/red/blue/red/green

Emmanuel